HD Directv Tivo unit no longer in short supply

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 8, 2005 9:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
different.

Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.

Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:23:02 AM

> When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
> one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
> different.
>
> Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
>
> Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.

Sure, you can always get a better price if you wait. I didn't wait. Although
I probably paid a coupla hundred dollars more, I had the advantages and
enjoyment of my hi def Tivo for longer. It was well worth it.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 12:32:19 PM

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
>one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
>different.
>
>Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
>
>Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.

I think you missed the bigger picture - our HDtivos have already been
declared obsolete in the upcoming mpeg4 movement at Directv.

Of course, this will take years, and meanwhile we'll continue to be happy.
Except perhaps those who paid any premium on ebay.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
February 9, 2005 3:53:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <cuclb3$2rg4$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

> Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
> >one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
> >different.
> >
> >Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
> >
> >Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.
>
> I think you missed the bigger picture - our HDtivos have already been
> declared obsolete in the upcoming mpeg4 movement at Directv.
>
> Of course, this will take years,

Well they're not obsolete then, are they?

> and meanwhile we'll continue to be happy.
> Except perhaps those who paid any premium on ebay.
> --
> Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <QngOd.2747$UH3.474@fe10.lga>, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
> > one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
> > different.
> >
> > Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
> >
> > Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.
>
> Sure, you can always get a better price if you wait. I didn't wait. Although
> I probably paid a coupla hundred dollars more, I had the advantages and
> enjoyment of my hi def Tivo for longer. It was well worth it.

I'd rather wait till Easter when it'll be closer to $500.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:19:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) shaped the electrons to say:
>I think you missed the bigger picture - our HDtivos have already been
>declared obsolete in the upcoming mpeg4 movement at Directv.

Right now the plan is for new local spot beams to be MPEG4, but
existing spots and national feeds will be MPEG2 for a while. So
people with existing untis shouldn't have a problem.

And DirecTV has said they'll be replacing HW for existing customers
where needed.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:20:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.

Probably, that's the normal course of things with consumer
electronics. When the early adopter market is satisfied, prices come
down.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:38:31 PM

Jack Zwick (jzwick3@mindspring.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > Sure, you can always get a better price if you wait. I didn't wait. Although
> > I probably paid a coupla hundred dollars more, I had the advantages and
> > enjoyment of my hi def Tivo for longer. It was well worth it.
>
> I'd rather wait till Easter when it'll be closer to $500.

That'd be next Easter, right.

DirecTV has made official announcements to dealers who sell the HR10-250
that their wholesale cost is *not* dropping a dime in the next 3 months.
So, if you can find a dealer that is willing to sell an item that costs
him $800 for $500, buy a whole palette of units and re-sell them for $700
each.

--
Jeff Rife | "Five thousand dollars, huh? I'll bet we could
| afford that if we pooled our money together...
| bought a gun...robbed a bank...."
| -- Drew Carey
February 10, 2005 2:16:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:47:00 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
>one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
>different.
>
>Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
>
>Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.

Maybe. I would imagine they'll get cheaper and cheaper as they get
closer and closer to the datre they'll be obsolete.

Sean
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:07:54 PM

Bill R wrote:

> My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now
> have no idea that they will be obsolete in the not too
> distance future (because DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I
> sure know that the sales people at places like Circuit City
> and Best Buy aren't telling people that are looking as
> buying one.

That probably has more to do with the fact that they won't
be obsolete in the not too distant future. They will continue
to work just fine for a long time. There may be new features
not available on today's models that you might not get when
the new features become available, but that's how it is with
any tech product. People with Series1 TiVos will never be
able to officially do TTG. Does that mean it's obsolete?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:32:20 PM

Bill R wrote:
> in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Bill R wrote:
> >
> >>My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now
> >>have no idea that they will be obsolete in the not too
> >>distance future (because DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I
> >>sure know that the sales people at places like Circuit City
> >>and Best Buy aren't telling people that are looking as
> >>buying one.
> >

> > That probably has more to do with the fact that they won't
> > be obsolete in the not too distant future. They will continue
> > to work just fine for a long time. There may be new features
> > not available on today's models that you might not get when
> > the new features become available, but that's how it is with
> > any tech product.
>

> It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
> people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
> that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
> fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
> stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
> only ones).

You're in luck then - these boxes will work just fine in two
to three years. Those stores have no reason to tell anyone
the boxes won't work at some time because even DirecTV hasn't
said such a thing.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:58:17 PM

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:47:00 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

>>When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
>>one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
>>different.
>>
>>Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
>>
>>Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.
>

> Maybe. I would imagine they'll get cheaper and cheaper as they get
> closer and closer to the datre they'll be obsolete.
>
> Sean

My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now
have no idea that they will be obsolete in the not too
distance future (because DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I
sure know that the sales people at places like Circuit City
and Best Buy aren't telling people that are looking as
buying one.
--
Bill R.

Remove "SPAMFREE-" in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:20:12 PM

in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
> Bill R wrote:
>
>>My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now
>>have no idea that they will be obsolete in the not too
>>distance future (because DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I
>>sure know that the sales people at places like Circuit City
>>and Best Buy aren't telling people that are looking as
>>buying one.
>

> That probably has more to do with the fact that they won't
> be obsolete in the not too distant future. They will continue
> to work just fine for a long time. There may be new features
> not available on today's models that you might not get when
> the new features become available, but that's how it is with
> any tech product.

It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
only ones).
--
Bill R

Remove "not_for_spam_" to reply by e-mail
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <420BDE1C.3060609@iglou.com>,
Bill R <not_for_spam_brosen@iglou.com> wrote:

> It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many people
> spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told that it won't
> work in two to three years from now is akin to fraud.

Who says it won't work in two to three years?

February 11, 2005 3:43:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Bill R <not_for_spam_brosen@iglou.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
>people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
>that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
>fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
>stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
>only ones).

Well, the problem seems to be that you're misinformed.

The current plan, as told to my by DirecTV reps face to face, is that
*new* local spot beams will be moving to MPEG4 one they orbit their
new birds. Current local spot beams and national beams will remain
MPEG2 for the foreseeable future. So anyone who buys one now and gets
HD service should continue to have the same service even after the new
birds go up.

Additionally, if/when they do decide to switch to MPEG4 for existing
services, DirecTV's policy is to do a *free* HW swap, replacing your
unit with a new one. Right now they don't have an MPEG4 HD DVR, but
they certainly will - either a new TiVo unit (both DTV and TiVo said
that's in discussion), or they'll do a new unit using NDS or
Ucentric's codebase.

Either way, it isn't like you're out the money with no solution.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:00:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

I'm enjoying mine too - wish there was more HD channels

I do have one issue with the unit I can't point point -- I'm getting audio
droputs or clicks both from antennea HD and satellite HD channels -- need
mre testing to see if this is happening SD channels

but it is annoying when it happens

my two SD direcTivo's do not do this -- using same satellite dish on the
same multiswitch

I also think, but need more testing that recorded HD shows do not show audio
drops and click - like when I watching live TV

strange

I may have a unit with a strange defect

steve
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:48:23 AM

MegaZone wrote:
> Additionally, if/when they do decide to switch to MPEG4 for existing
> services, DirecTV's policy is to do a *free* HW swap, replacing your
> unit with a new one.

Hmmm, wonder if they will upgrade the HD DirecTV tuner in my RCA F38310?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <420BDE1C.3060609@iglou.com>,
Bill R <not_for_spam_brosen@iglou.com> wrote:

> in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Bill R wrote:
> >
> >>My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now
> >>have no idea that they will be obsolete in the not too
> >>distance future (because DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I
> >>sure know that the sales people at places like Circuit City
> >>and Best Buy aren't telling people that are looking as
> >>buying one.
> >

> > That probably has more to do with the fact that they won't
> > be obsolete in the not too distant future. They will continue
> > to work just fine for a long time. There may be new features
> > not available on today's models that you might not get when
> > the new features become available, but that's how it is with
> > any tech product.
>

> It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
> people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
> that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
> fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
> stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
> only ones).

Dont buy a DVD player, Blue Ray is coming.

Dont buy a car, they'll all be hybrids soon, getting twice the gas
mileage.

Dont buy a PC, they could have an IBM 10 core CPU soon, instead of a
WInTel slug.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:44:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <1108074740.492842.261820@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:

> Bill R wrote:
> > in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > That probably has more to do with the fact that they won't
> > > be obsolete in the not too distant future. They will continue
> > > to work just fine for a long time. There may be new features
> > > not available on today's models that you might not get when
> > > the new features become available, but that's how it is with
> > > any tech product.
> >

> > It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
> > people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
> > that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
> > fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
> > stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
> > only ones).
>
> You're in luck then - these boxes will work just fine in two
> to three years. Those stores have no reason to tell anyone
> the boxes won't work at some time because even DirecTV hasn't
> said such a thing.

Unless North Korea shoots down the DirecTv satellites.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:46:02 PM

Jason O'Rourke wrote:

> The difference that you continue to refuse to accept is that while
> these all will continue to perform the tasks they were purchased to
do,
> the HDtivo will not. It won't record off satellite and without the
> software changes, it won't work as a standalone OTA recorder either.

WTF are you talking about? Do you have a URL or any evidence at all
showing the HD DTiVo will ever stop working? No one has ever said
such a thing and it makes no sense to even think such a thing.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:03:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> It depends on what you consider "a long time". For many
>> people spending $750 (or so) on something and not being told
>> that it won't work in two to three years from now is akin to
>> fraud. I think it just shows the dishonestly of some of the
>> stores like Circuit City and Best Buy (and they aren't the
>> only ones).
>
>Dont buy a DVD player, Blue Ray is coming.
>
>Dont buy a car, they'll all be hybrids soon, getting twice the gas
>mileage.
>
>Dont buy a PC, they could have an IBM 10 core CPU soon, instead of a
>WInTel slug.

The difference that you continue to refuse to accept is that while
these all will continue to perform the tasks they were purchased to do,
the HDtivo will not. It won't record off satellite and without the
software changes, it won't work as a standalone OTA recorder either.

The question really is - how long until this happens, and will Directv
offer a suitable competent replacement. Let's bear in mind - $750
over 3 years is $20/month. That's a big chunk of the monthly bill, 25%
in my case. Nevermind the $500 lost on the first STB that lasted only
18 months before burning out.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Direct TV has changed encryption schemes before and it is done over the
bird. Whose to say a change to another could not be done over "the air"
"Bill R" <SPAMFREE-brosen@iglou.com> wrote in message
> Sean wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:47:00 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>When it first came out last year folks clammered to pay their $1000 for
>>>one. Some were even sold on eBay at premiums, now the situation is
>>>different.
>>>
>>>Both Circuit City and Best Buy stores have stacks of unsold units.
>>>
>>>Likely inside 2 months we'll start seeing price drops.
>>

>> Maybe. I would imagine they'll get cheaper and cheaper as they get closer
>> and closer to the datre they'll be obsolete.
>>
>> Sean
>

> My bet is that most of the people that are buying them now have no idea
> that they will be obsolete in the not too distance future (because
> DirecTV's HD is going to MPEG4). I sure know that the sales people at
> places like Circuit City and Best Buy aren't telling people that are
> looking as buying one.
> --
> Bill R.
>
> Remove "SPAMFREE-" in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:06:00 PM

Jason O'Rourke wrote:

>"As long as they are up." There you have it.

Well, that's half of it anyway. The OTA will work as long as there are
OTA signals to pick up. If people stop broadcasting, you are right,
this box will stop working. Much like if cell towers get taken down,
cell phones will stop working.

> My dvd player will play my
> copy of Army of Darkness until it breaks.

The TiVo will play all the shows it has recorded until it breaks. It
will even keep recording stuff as long as someone is broadcasting,
either via OTA or via satellites which have *never* been taken down so
far and DirecTV has stated they have no plans to take them down.

> My car will take gasoline till it
> dies, and there's not different fuel in 3 years that will replace
unleaded.

There's already different fuel. You just don't use it. The current
HDTiVo box will do MPEG2 forever. It won't do MPEG4 just like your car
won't use various fuel alternatives. MPEG4 is NOT replacing MPEG2 - it
is being added *in addition* to it. Much like your car cannot use
compressed natural gas, but other cars can. The fact that it exists
doesn't make current gas or your car stop working. The addition of
MPEG4 doesn't make MPEG2 stop working.

> When Directv stops broadcasting in mpeg2, the HDtivo becomes a boat
anchor.

Lucky then DirecTV has said they have no plans of doing such a thing
because it would be a financial nightmare for them.

> I'd like to be optimistic, but will stick in the real world too. If
these
> mpeg4 HD "lite" channels prove even worse than the current 1200
resolution
> HD channels, cable will be waiting.

You should always investigate your options and pick what you think is
best. Just because most here think TiVo is the best doesn't mean you
will. If you want to use something else, I don't think anyone here
really cares. But it doesn't do you any good by trying to spread FUD.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:49:58 PM

Jason O'Rourke (jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> The difference that you continue to refuse to accept is that while
> these all will continue to perform the tasks they were purchased to do,
> the HDtivo will not. It won't record off satellite and without the
> software changes, it won't work as a standalone OTA recorder either.

That's just so wrong it's almost silly.

The current channels available from DirecTV will remain where they are for
at least 2 years and likely more. The HD DirecTiVo will be able to record
these channels for as long as they are up.

Secondly, even if DirecTV changes the config of the current satellites so
that there are no channels that the HD DirecTiVo can record, as long as
there is guide data and no "un-auth" packet for the receiver, it will
record OTA just fine. Even without guide data, it will record OTA just
fine, although it won't have the great TiVo features.

> The question really is - how long until this happens, and will Directv
> offer a suitable competent replacement.

Based on the first leaked info, if you have a HD DirecTiVo, it will be
replaced with a new DirecTV "Home Media Center" with twice as much
capability in almost everything (twice the disk space, twice as many
satellite tuners, plus the ability to send recorded programming to "slave"
receivers). If the software has anything near TiVo recording capability,
it will be a very nice replacement.

--
Jeff Rife |
| "Resistance...is *futile*"
|
| -- Data, "Star Trek: First Contact"
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:39:32 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:35:28 -0800, Harold Horseradish wrote:
> Direct TV has changed encryption schemes before and it is done over the
> bird. Whose to say a change to another could not be done over "the air"

The MPEG decoding is done by a dedicated chip not software, so it
wouldn't be that easy to change (doing it in software would require a
much more powerful processor).
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:48:51 PM

newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) writes:
> they certainly will - either a new TiVo unit (both DTV and TiVo said
> that's in discussion), or they'll do a new unit using NDS or

I thought that DirecTV was going to let their contract with TiVo lapse
in 2007. Anyway, /. reports the rumor that Apple is considering
purchasing TiVo and that both of their stocks rose on said rumor.

Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
March 1, 2005 3:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <m3650gqbn0.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:

> newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) writes:
> > they certainly will - either a new TiVo unit (both DTV and TiVo said
> > that's in discussion), or they'll do a new unit using NDS or
>
> I thought that DirecTV was going to let their contract with TiVo lapse
> in 2007. Anyway, /. reports the rumor that Apple is considering
> purchasing TiVo and that both of their stocks rose on said rumor.

and have since slipped back. In 2007 DirecTv may stop selling TiVo
units, likely too expensive to do anything but continue to support the 2
or 3 million DirecTiVo units (2 million now, 3 million + by 2007)
March 1, 2005 3:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:29:24 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <m3650gqbn0.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
> Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:
>
>> newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) writes:
>> > they certainly will - either a new TiVo unit (both DTV and TiVo said
>> > that's in discussion), or they'll do a new unit using NDS or
>>
>> I thought that DirecTV was going to let their contract with TiVo lapse
>> in 2007. Anyway, /. reports the rumor that Apple is considering
>> purchasing TiVo and that both of their stocks rose on said rumor.
>
>and have since slipped back. In 2007 DirecTv may stop selling TiVo
>units, likely too expensive to do anything but continue to support the 2
>or 3 million DirecTiVo units (2 million now, 3 million + by 2007)

Wow Jackie. Some stellar analysis there.

In *2007* DTV *may* stop selling Tivo units ...

What a dolt you are.

Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
available later this year. 2005. I'm sure after all the resources they
spent developing a new product of their own they'll still sell Tivos
for the next 2 years. Not.

Man, you Tivo rumpswabs have your heads in the sand.

Cable companies have beens swapping out cable dvr's at the drop of a
hat, despite what all the tivo rumpswabs in this NG have been saying.

Directv will be no different.

Sean
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:21:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <ga6921h2lv60hqi13l540l6oihpn96kqgc@4ax.com>, Sean <none>
wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:29:24 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <m3650gqbn0.fsf@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>,
> > Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:

> >> I thought that DirecTV was going to let their contract with TiVo lapse
> >> in 2007. Anyway, /. reports the rumor that Apple is considering
> >> purchasing TiVo and that both of their stocks rose on said rumor.
> >
> >and have since slipped back. In 2007 DirecTv may stop selling TiVo
> >units, likely too expensive to do anything but continue to support the 2
> >or 3 million DirecTiVo units (2 million now, 3 million + by 2007)
>

> Wow Jackie. Some stellar analysis there.
>
> In *2007* DTV *may* stop selling Tivo units ...
>
> What a dolt you are.
>
> Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
> available later this year. 2005.

Vaporware !
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:22:15 PM

wrote:

> Cable companies have beens swapping out cable dvr's at the drop of a
> hat, despite what all the tivo rumpswabs in this NG have been saying.

Of course they have many folks have been through 2,3 or 4 Scientific
Atalanta units and still dont have a properly functioning one.

TiVo was just awarded some more Patents, and Scientific Atlanta will
soon be broke.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 10:22:16 PM

Jack Zwick wrote:

> TiVo was just awarded some more Patents, and Scientific Atlanta will
> soon be broke.

Scientific Atlanta will soon be broke? You sure are an ignorant moron.

[bill me, Tom]
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:15:15 AM

In article <4224C832.9C9CF1C3@home.com>, ric <nospam@home.com> wrote:

> Jack Zwick wrote:
>
> > TiVo was just awarded some more Patents, and Scientific Atlanta will
> > soon be broke.
>
> Scientific Atlanta will soon be broke? You sure are an ignorant moron.

Calling me names will not win a Patent-Infringement suit for Scientific
Atlanta.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:08:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <ga6921h2lv60hqi13l540l6oihpn96kqgc@4ax.com>, Sean <none> wrote:
>Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
>available later this year. 2005. I'm sure after all the resources they
>spent developing a new product of their own they'll still sell Tivos
>for the next 2 years. Not.

We've heard that one before, more than once. Direct has yet to even
announce this media center DVR and you assume it will exist and actually
work before the year's end? It was 16 months between the CES demo of
the HDtivo and when it actually was available for use, and that was
just a minor enhancement of the existing dtivo.

Direct has the incentive to produce a replacement, but not necessarily
to produce a superior one.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <d046rm$emh$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

> In article <ga6921h2lv60hqi13l540l6oihpn96kqgc@4ax.com>, Sean <none> wrote:
> >Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
> >available later this year. 2005. I'm sure after all the resources they
> >spent developing a new product of their own they'll still sell Tivos
> >for the next 2 years. Not.
>
> We've heard that one before, more than once. Direct has yet to even
> announce this media center DVR and you assume it will exist and actually
> work before the year's end? It was 16 months between the CES demo of
> the HDtivo and when it actually was available for use, and that was
> just a minor enhancement of the existing dtivo.
>
> Direct has the incentive to produce a replacement, but not necessarily
> to produce a superior one.

As always: "don't buy promises"
March 2, 2005 2:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:27:48 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <d046rm$emh$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:
>
>> In article <ga6921h2lv60hqi13l540l6oihpn96kqgc@4ax.com>, Sean <none> wrote:
>> >Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
>> >available later this year. 2005. I'm sure after all the resources they
>> >spent developing a new product of their own they'll still sell Tivos
>> >for the next 2 years. Not.
>>
>> We've heard that one before, more than once. Direct has yet to even
>> announce this media center DVR and you assume it will exist and actually
>> work before the year's end? It was 16 months between the CES demo of
>> the HDtivo and when it actually was available for use, and that was
>> just a minor enhancement of the existing dtivo.
>>
>> Direct has the incentive to produce a replacement, but not necessarily
>> to produce a superior one.
>
>As always: "don't buy promises"

That's funny coming from someone who promised that Tivo will have a
Cable Card HD - Tivo out in January of next year.

Sean
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Sean - resident illogical Troll and TiVo hater.

PLONK
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:56:22 PM

In article <c3qb21d76jfm8dp6d79ort4jv4h5vppnpg@4ax.com>, Sean <none> wrote:
>>In article <ga6921h2lv60hqi13l540l6oihpn96kqgc@4ax.com>, Sean <none> wrote:
>>>Directv will have a far superior "media Center" dvr of their own
>>>available later this year. 2005. I'm sure after all the resources they
>That's the beauty of this. It doesn't have to be the geratest DVR ever
>produced. Just adequate at first and they'll stop selling Tivo's and
>replacing the old ones.

So you're no longer holding to your claims of "far superior?" Will
"later this year" go next?

No one has yet to match the HDtivo, and no one has yet even tried the
distributed media center that the rumors claim of this new wonder box.
I'm pretty sure I'll still be using the hdtivo into 2006. And I suspect
I'll hold off on the swap as long as I can manage.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <d0c38m$2ifh$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

> >That's the beauty of this. It doesn't have to be the geratest DVR ever
> >produced. Just adequate at first and they'll stop selling Tivo's and
> >replacing the old ones.
>
> So you're no longer holding to your claims of "far superior?" Will
> "later this year" go next?
>
> No one has yet to match the HDtivo, and no one has yet even tried the
> distributed media center that the rumors claim of this new wonder box.
> I'm pretty sure I'll still be using the hdtivo into 2006. And I suspect
> I'll hold off on the swap as long as I can manage.

DirecTv has said again and again, it will continue to sell TiVo units
through 2007.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:18:00 AM

On 2-Mar-2005, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> As always: "don't buy promises"

Yes. Look what is about to happen to Social Security under Bush.

Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.

Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
the US Government means.

Technology companies, including DirecTV, may be even less likely to fulfill
promises.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:39:29 AM

In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, L230j@verizon.net wrote:

> On 2-Mar-2005, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > As always: "don't buy promises"
>
> Yes. Look what is about to happen to Social Security under Bush.
>
> Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
> Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
>
> Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
> the US Government means.
>
> Technology companies, including DirecTV, may be even less likely to fulfill
> promises.

If the promises come from the Marketing Department, rather than the
Engineering Department, you have a problem.

Sort of like the difference between statements from the Congressional
Budget Office versus those from the Secretary of the Treasury.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:26:32 AM

On 5-Mar-2005, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> If the promises come from the Marketing Department, rather than the
> Engineering Department, you have a problem.
>
> Sort of like the difference between statements from the Congressional
> Budget Office versus those from the Secretary of the Treasury.

You are so right!
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:54:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, <L230j@verizon.net> wrote:
>Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
>Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
>
>Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
>the US Government means.

You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

In article <d0e2e8$g6$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

> In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, <L230j@verizon.net> wrote:
> >Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
> >Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
> >
> >Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
> >the US Government means.
>
> You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
> had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
> away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
> In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
> --

When Clinton left, the Budget was way to the surplus side, and if it had
been left that way, General Revenue funds could easily have been used for
Social Security and Medicare. Instead Bush had his tax cuts for the rich;
and his yearly promise (yet to be fulfilled) "Just give me this tax cut
and the economy will turn around"
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:30:45 PM

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> writes:
> jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:
> > You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
> > had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
> > away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
> > In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
>
> When Clinton left, the Budget was way to the surplus side, and if it had
> been left that way, General Revenue funds could easily have been used for
> Social Security and Medicare. Instead Bush had his tax cuts for the rich;
> and his yearly promise (yet to be fulfilled) "Just give me this tax cut
> and the economy will turn around"

Five years and we're still waiting...
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

The discussion here no longer has anything to do with the subject.
Please take it to a political discussion group. I like politics as much
as the next person, but not when it is in the wrong group.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

In article <d0e2e8$g6$1@agate.berkeley.edu>, jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:
>In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, <L230j@verizon.net> wrote:
>>Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
>>Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
>>
>>Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
>>the US Government means.
>
>You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
>had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
>away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
>In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
The libefrals will no longer have their little pork barrel to spend.
March 7, 2005 11:55:46 AM

In article <jzwick3-82798F.04564106032005@news1.east.earthlink.net>, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>In article <d0e2e8$g6$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:
>
>> In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, <L230j@verizon.net> wrote:
>> >Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
>> >Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
>> >
>> >Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
>> >the US Government means.
>>
>> You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
>> had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
>> away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
>> In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
>> --
>
>When Clinton left, the Budget was way to the surplus side, and if it had
>been left that way, General Revenue funds could easily have been used for
>Social Security and Medicare. Instead Bush had his tax cuts for the rich;
>and his yearly promise (yet to be fulfilled) "Just give me this tax cut
>and the economy will turn around"
That is untrue, Clintons so called surplus was false. It was padded with
worthless internet upstarts,energy companies padding their values,etc ad
nauseum. It was a false economy and it began to collapse way before Bush was
elected.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:06:49 PM

In article <d0h4um$gjc$2@news.xmission.com>,
glenzabr@nospamallowed.xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

> In article <jzwick3-82798F.04564106032005@news1.east.earthlink.net>, Jack
> Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >In article <d0e2e8$g6$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> > jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

> >> You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
> >> had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
> >> away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
> >> In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
> >> --
> >
> >When Clinton left, the Budget was way to the surplus side, and if it had
> >been left that way, General Revenue funds could easily have been used for
> >Social Security and Medicare. Instead Bush had his tax cuts for the rich;
> >and his yearly promise (yet to be fulfilled) "Just give me this tax cut
> >and the economy will turn around"
> That is untrue, Clintons so called surplus was false. It was padded with
> worthless internet upstarts,energy companies padding their values,etc ad
> nauseum. It was a false economy and it began to collapse way before Bush was
> elected.

Nice try. The Federal Government HAD a surplus. Call it false if you
like, but the dollars were real. I suppose the Bush deficit is false
in your warped world? It's OK, Hillary will be President soon enough.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 1:07:41 PM

In article <d0h4pc$gjc$1@news.xmission.com>,
glenzabr@nospamallowed.xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

> In article <d0e2e8$g6$1@agate.berkeley.edu>, jor@soda.csua.berkeley.edu
> (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:
> >In article <I6rWd.28405$uc.13279@trnddc09>, <L230j@verizon.net> wrote:
> >>Alan Greenspan indicated this week that it may not be possible to 'save
> >>Social Security' without more or less bankrupting the economy.
> >>
> >>Thus Bush and Greenspan have told us what the 'full faith and backing' of
> >>the US Government means.
> >
> >You have to give this Administration credit for at least trying. Clinton
> >had a committee look into it, make recommendations, and then it faded
> >away into the night. Now we're 10 years later and still without a fix.
> >In 15 SS will no longer subsidize deficit spending.
> The libefrals will no longer have their little pork barrel to spend.

Bush has his Pork Barrel of Welfare for the rich. Just ask Senator
McCain.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:19:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>When Clinton left, the Budget was way to the surplus side, and if it had
>been left that way, General Revenue funds could easily have been used for
>Social Security and Medicare. Instead Bush had his tax cuts for the rich;
>and his yearly promise (yet to be fulfilled) "Just give me this tax cut
>and the economy will turn around"

that surplus existed in paper form only. And it wouldn't have changed
the reality of the problems with pay as you go SS and Medicare.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
!