Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon R7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2013 4:17:53 AM

This card requires an 8 pin and 6 pin connector? my Corsair 650w TX650 PSU only has 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors right? so how do I use this card with my system?

More about : radeon r7970

February 15, 2013 4:38:10 AM

Sinafey said:
This card requires an 8 pin and 6 pin connector? my Corsair 650w TX650 PSU only has 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors right? so how do I use this card with my system?

If I am not wrong you should be able to get a 6-8 power cable....
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:40:10 AM

ALL TX 650s have two "6+2"-pin connectors (meaning that you can easily detach unneeded 2 pins, or attach them when you need them, thus making them "8-pin" cables in actuality), MSi's "HD 7970 Lightning" needs two 8-pin cables, while XFX's "HD 7970 Double Dissipation" need one 6-pin and one 8-pin. Just attach additional 2 pins to one of the two cables (if your HD 7970 is XFX's, for example) and everything will be just fine.
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 4:57:06 AM

master_chen said:
ALL TX 650s have two "6+2"-pin connectors (meaning that you can easily detach unneeded 2 pins, or attach them when you need them, thus making them "8-pin" cables in actuality), MSi's "HD 7970 Lightning" needs two 8-pin cables, while XFX's "HD 7970 Double Dissipation" need one 6-pin and one 8-pin. Just attach additional 2 pins to one of the two cables (if your HD 7970 is XFX's, for example) and everything will be just fine.

That makes sense, and I do have the cables you are referring to, however, I tried it and the computer booted up but my monitor wasn't showing anything. Any ideas?
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:05:32 AM

my monitor runs with 1 6-pin connector attached, I put the other 6 pin with the attached 2 pins and my monitor doesn't show anything. To clarify that is 2x 6 pins and 1x 2pin cables attached to the video card. I try installing the driver for the video card and it wont allow it because the device is not detected.
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:08:44 AM

Sinafey said:
But my monitor wasn't showing anything.

Then it's most likely that it's something in your monitor, or connection to it.
Which type of connection you used? On which card?
These days it's better to use DisplayPort connection only ("Dual-Link DVI" being the second best), as it works best.
You probably connected via HDMI? Or you monitor needs double DVIs to work... :\
It's not that of a rare thing these days. Personally, I hate when monitors demand double DVIs to work, I always connect only through DisplayPort (if available), it works the best.

Sinafey said:
that is 2x 6 pins and 1x 2pin cables attached to the video card.

Uhhhh....what? O_o
It's one cable, man. 6+2 is ONE cable, it just has 2 pins hanging near the main 6 pins, you just need to attach 2 pins if you need 8-pin connection, you don't put in 6 pins and then some 8-pin cable from the side....now I'm confused...
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:11:52 AM

Im connected with both the one that plugs into my motherboard and the one that is connected to my video card
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:17:36 AM

Sinafey said:
I'm connected with both the one that plugs into my motherboard and the one that is connected to my video card.

......what processor and socket platform do you have? What is you motherboard (like H67 or Z68/Z77)? I think I'm starting to get the picture...
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:25:31 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

Sorry this is my first build. I've also noticed while messing around that my power supply fan isn't on. I'm not sure if it goes on when necessary or if I don't have something hooked up. I tried running the video card with both connected while only having the blue connector attached, but it had the same result.
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:30:48 AM

master_chen said:
Uhhhh....what? O_o
It's one cable, man. 6+2 is ONE cable, it just has 2 pins hanging near the main 6 pins, you just need to attach 2 pins if you need 8-pin connection, you don't put in 6 pins and then some 8-pin cable from the side....now I'm confused...

Oh, the video card has an 8 pin spot to connect and directly beside it has a 6 pin slot to connect, i have a 6 pin connected to the 6pin connector and a 6pin+2pin connected to the 8 pin spot when my monitor doesn't work. It does worth with just the 6 pin connected, but the driver disc doesn't recognize the video card.
m
l

Best solution

February 15, 2013 5:38:16 AM

Sinafey said:

MSI Z77

Just as I thought...
Just unplug monitor from your motherboard's video connector and connect it ONLY to video card. :\
They don't work together at the same time. You can either connect it to motherboard, or to video card, you can't use one monitor on both.

Sinafey said:
My power supply fan isn't on.

It's Corsair, man. It should be like this, don't worry.

Sinafey said:
It goes on only when necessary.

Yes, exactly that.
February 15, 2013 6:07:40 AM

Best answer selected by Sinafey.
m
l
February 15, 2013 6:08:17 AM

Welp I got everything up and running smoothly, thanks a ton. Now all i have to do is figure out what the purpose of an SSD is =)
m
l
February 15, 2013 6:16:35 AM

Sinafey said:
What the purpose of an SSD is..

To run everything faster, smoother, cooler and quieter. %)
m
l
!