Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX660Ti with Dell T5500

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2013 5:24:19 AM

Hi,

I just bought a ne GTX 660Ti with 3gb for my Dell Precision T5500.
After i install the card, my cpu doesn't want to start giving me a PSU failure, with the pre-POST Diagnostic Light Patterns, describe as "PS may be bad or PSU cable ma be crimped creating a short on a main power rail" in the Dell service manual (PB10).

My PSU is original at 875w and i connected the card thru a 6 pin and a 8 pin connectors.

So, do you know if the 660Ti is compatible with my motherboard OCRH6C??
Could it be a malfunction on the video card or the power supply?

I'm really looking forward to use the 660Ti over the original Quadro FX1800 for gaming..

Thanks in advance!

More about : gtx660ti dell t5500

February 15, 2013 2:28:10 PM

I was told by a friend that Dell uses proprietary hardware, which in short means you can only use the stuff they sell or comes in the machine otherwise it doesn't work. Of course this could be from years past and doesn't apply today, hopefully someone of greater knowledge can help you out on this one.

Or you could always call tech support.
February 15, 2013 2:53:46 PM

I had a Dell once and upgraded the video card to an FX5800 way back when and it worked flawlessly until the PSU crapped out. Anyways, i did not have a problem replacing their PSU with a better one after making some "modifications" to the case so it would fit.
Related resources
February 15, 2013 3:09:54 PM

I did call Dell support first and they basically said that did can not guaranteed a Geforce would work, they only tested Quadro on those workstation...
But in term of hardware fit (socket and PSU power) there is room for it.

Thanks,
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2013 3:24:01 PM

I had this problem with a 670 and Lenovo motherboard. The two just didn't want to go together. Problem might go away if get yourself up a cheap MSI motherboard, any random crap one will work. But you'll need to reinstall windows.
February 16, 2013 4:51:47 PM

I realised that 2 of the printed gold pins are ''chipped'' so I will send it back and wait for a new one.. I'll keep you post it in a week or so if that was the problem.
February 19, 2013 1:48:59 AM

sim_84 said:
Hi,

I just bought a ne GTX 660Ti with 3gb for my Dell Precision T5500.
After i install the card, my cpu doesn't want to start giving me a PSU failure, with the pre-POST Diagnostic Light Patterns, describe as "PS may be bad or PSU cable ma be crimped creating a short on a main power rail" in the Dell service manual (PB10).

My PSU is original at 875w and i connected the card thru a 6 pin and a 8 pin connectors.

So, do you know if the 660Ti is compatible with my motherboard OCRH6C??
Could it be a malfunction on the video card or the power supply?

I'm really looking forward to use the 660Ti over the original Quadro FX1800 for gaming..

Thanks in advance!

I honestly wouldnt trust dells power supplys i would get a better brand
February 28, 2013 12:47:26 AM

To follow the story:

I just got a new card from the internet shop store (NCIX, by the way). Didn't work when I plug it in with the 8 pin & 6 pin connector giving me the same error message. BUT, when I unplug the aux pcie connector the card was turn on displaying a message on the screen: ''Please pwr down and connect the PCIe power cable(s) for this graphic card''. Same message happened when i had the 6 pin connector in... The 8 pins was kind of hard compare to the 6 to plug in and it sounds like it is the problem.. The pin socket doesn't seem to quite fit the card one.

So it's a good news knowing what is not working, now I wondering if I can just buy the connector and put the wire in or if I need a brad new PSU??? I will also call Dell asking to ship a new warranty PSU since this one the connector is not compatible.. I will do my research and comeback!

Actually I just realize the 6 pins is compatible with the 8 pins, i will try tomorrow pluging my 2X 6 pins and see if it work.. It be kind of dumb thow to put a 6 pin and a 8 pin connetor on the card if it's not required.

Finally this 8 pins connector is probably a EPS12V CPU Power Connector ...which is really similar to the 8 Pin PCI aux power.... it will explain a lot of stuff...anyway i will try the two x 6 pins connection tomorrow.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specif...

Thanks,

December 10, 2013 8:44:02 PM

Did you resolve this I am looking to do the same thing?

Thanks

Best solution

December 11, 2013 12:10:58 PM

This is an old thread but if it's not resolved, the problem is that the 8-pin connector you're referring to isn't for video cards; it's for the CPU daughter card that allows you to add a second CPU socket, so it's likely not wired the correct way for PCIe. You do still have two 6-pin PCIe power connectors so you'll have to buy a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

The PSUs in the Precision lineup are good quality. Yours is an 80-Plus Silver unit with 68A on the 12v rails. Should have absolutely no problem running a 660Ti.

Good luck.

December 12, 2013 9:55:02 PM

Thanks, I had a look at the specs and it says
"Support for 2 PCI Express x16 Gen 2 graphics cards up to 150 watts" would I be able to use a single GTX 770 or would that be too powerful for this power supply?

Thanks
December 12, 2013 10:09:26 PM

Is it a silly question to ask; Do I have up to 300w (150wx2) to play with if I am only using one card?
December 15, 2013 5:15:42 AM

I got a 8 pin to 6pin adaptor and it worked really well since.
Physically in the casing it is a big squeeze but it fits..
The motherboard supports the card, the problem was to get the correct plug type into the card socket..

Enjoy
December 20, 2013 8:24:48 AM

Sorry I post my question here. I am trying to get my GTX760 work on dell T5600 workstation . Do I need to connect both the 6pin and 8pin sockets on the graphic card? The motherboard only has a 8 pin output, and the cable that came with t5600 seems to be 6 pin(although the sockets on the cable are from 8pin to 6 pin, there are two "pin"s missing in the 8pin end. Hope I described it clearly). So I am planning to use it as a 6pin for the graphic card and ordered a "two sata to one 8pin" cable as the 8pin input for the graphic card. I will come back after I tried that. Is there any suggestions? Thanks?
December 21, 2013 7:41:46 AM

Which PSU do you have- the 820W or the 635W? You probably have 2 PCIe power connectors (6pin) so yes, you'll need a SATA to 8-pin adapter or a 6pin to 8pin adapter. Either PSU should be able to run your GTX 760 as they are both high quality 80-plus Gold units in the T5600.
!