Far Cry 3 under 45 FPS on ultra with 7950

hallowhero

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Is this normal, I thought with the MSI Twin Fozr I would be easily pushing this past that, I had to jump down to very high to clear 45 fps and hover around 49-50. Also, does anyone else have shadow flickering issues in FC3? The shadows flicker like crazy in the jungle. I have had the card for over a month, it runs well and I havn't overclocked it yet. I have 8 gigs of g skill sniper ram, i5-3570k (also not overclocked yet) tx650 PSU,. I run the witcher 2 at max settings with no issues, I do have blur and uber sampling off (however even with uber sampling on it runs above 35 fps, I just like the smoother 55 fps from having uber off). Everything else I throw at the card it has eaten up very well. Thanks guys!

Mahisse

Distinguished
Under video options at SSAO method choose HDAO. This fixes the problem for some.
As I unerstand it you choose HDAO if you have an AMD card and HBAO if you have a Nvidia card. SSAO are giving perfomance hits and have known issues with shadow effects.

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Also, an incredibly good way to jack your fps in FC3 by 10-15fps and actually make the game look much nicer is to disable PostFX. From what I understand, PostFX was put in the game due to some sort of console limitation since the game was made for consoles, and you can only set it to Low in your graphics setting. However, if you go into your gameprofile.cfg file with notepad, you can set PostFX=False and it will fully disable it. It makes the game look great, because it gets rid of motion blur, has somewhat of an anti-aliasing affect (no idea why PostFX LOWERS AA), and gets rid of the blur on scenery in the far distance. You will immediately notice a difference if you look at a mountain in the distance, which is now clear instead of blurred, and it increases your fps by a ton! Give it a try.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

That's some really good advice. I don't think I will disable it as you say but I will turn it the lowest it can go.

Just for reference, with my GTX 660Ti OCed, I run Far Cry 3 on the Ultra preset, w/HBAO, Extreme Brush rendering, 2xMSAA, and I get anywhere from 45-65FPS. On average I get 55FPS. And the 660Ti and the 7950 are pretty much equals, so we should get around the same FPS using the same settings. You should be able to use more MSAA than me though, so they say.

You know, it might be that you have MSAA set too high. I know if I set MSAA to 4x's I only get like 35-40FPS. This may be why you are experiencing these problems. What did you have MSAA set to? I'm curious to know?

I also find Far Cry 3 to be way more glitchy that most other games I play. Sometimes the graphics will completely just go crazy and you can't see anything, sometimes I'll get this shading on the screen that never goes away, sometimes the dirt roads will flicker, sometimes the gameplay is just rough as hell. Of course all of these things only happen about 1% of the time, so it's still not a big deal. But it does happen kind of a lot.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I noticed that the biggest frame killer was Post-processing anywhere above medium level. Either it's just poorly optimized or too much visual stuff crammed into one setting. This was way back on AMD HD 7970 and HD 6970 with the release drivers though.

You should also download and install the latest 13.3 Beta3 drivers for AMD. Believe it or not, 3 months after release these drivers increase performance in Far Cry 3. Tested for myself just the day before yesterday.