AMD and nVidia card on the same computer

rorosas88

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hello,
I want to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card. Currently have 2 Radeon 6870s and I want to replace one of them with an Nvidia card. Can I use the Nvidia card for my primary monitor and the Radeon for my secondary monitor.

Solution

You can use GeForce and Radeon on the same PC only through HPX.
I'm not sure about multi-monitoring, since haven't tried that so far, but as far as using just one monitor goes, yes you can (that's what I'm doing right now, actually).
Also, it is best for an HPX-setup to have just two cards (one Radeon and one GeForce), because, as of today, it doesn't work correctly with CFX/SLI setups, usually flickering glitches appear.

You should really go and google fresher...

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Sorry dude, you can't combine across manufacturers, completely different driver interfaces for SLI and Crossfire. What you could do it sell both of your cards and buy a 670 or 680 from Nvidia or a 7970 from AMD. I wish there was more to this answer but it just won't work.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I know that with certain older drivers you can do a hybrid setup strictly for PhysX, using an AMD card as the primary graphics processor and an Nvidia card SOLELY to run physx, but I have not heard any CONFRIMED cases of hybridizing AMD and Nvidia cards to both do actual graphics processing. Really your best bet is to get a single GPU thats more powerful than the crossfired 6870s and running both monitors off of one card.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You can use GeForce and Radeon on the same PC only through HPX.
I'm not sure about multi-monitoring, since haven't tried that so far, but as far as using just one monitor goes, yes you can (that's what I'm doing right now, actually).
Also, it is best for an HPX-setup to have just two cards (one Radeon and one GeForce), because, as of today, it doesn't work correctly with CFX/SLI setups, usually flickering glitches appear.

You should really go and google fresher information than that ("Hybridiz", for example). Yours is waaaay outdated.

McLovits: Please, don't write any more on this issue itt, you embarrass the community, and especially make people like me (who know their stuff) facepalm heavily.

Solution

rorosas88

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

I knew I wasn't goint to be to crossfire/SLI the cards, but I wanted to know if I could run each card independently of each other

rorosas88

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Sounds interesting, but ultimately I think it might just be easier to just sell my cards and buy a new more powerful one.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Don't listen to McLovits. He doesn't know jack about this.

You have two HD 6870s..here's what I suggest you do: sell just one for the current moment and buy cheap card like GT 640, and try the HPX through latest "Hybridiz".
If you won't like such setup (which is unlikely), then you can just sell GT 640 later (or don't even have to sell it, since it costs miser these days) and buy one card of the HD 7850 (and maybe even HD 7870) level, it will be at least on a par with the two HD 6870s you had, and later (if you'll still have that GT 640) you would be able to HPX it just fine, with the newly bought Radeon. Well, of course, you DON'T have to do that, it's just a suggestion (based on what I'd do, if I were in your situation).
It is for you (and only you) to decide what to do in the end.