Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Far Cry 3 Stuttery Movement

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
February 15, 2013 9:18:34 AM

When I play far cry 3 I have solid 60fps on ultra settings (no anti aliasing) but the movement is Stuttery. For example, if I'm running and I look to the left, it isn a smooh turn its jittery.

This happens when I run it on a single 7950 and when I crossfire it with a 7970.

Also, shouldn't I be able to use anti aliasing when crossfire in a 7970 and 7950? I figured that would be beefy enough to handle far cry 3 anti aliasing.

More about : cry stuttery movement

February 15, 2013 9:32:46 AM

This happens to me in Skyrim. I used an fps limiter and it made it much smoother. Don't ask me why it worked.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:39:59 AM

Does this only happen in the one game or everything you play? The first thing that popped into my head reading your post was the possibility of your mouse being too low of a DPI for what you have the cursor speed set to ingame. I dont see a reason why it should be stuttery at 60 fps when its perfectly smooth on my low-end system at 25 fps (unless I am driving)
m
0
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 9:41:45 AM

wanderer11 said:
This happens to me in Skyrim. I used an fps limiter and it made it much smoother. Don't ask me why it worked.

Which fps limiter?
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:43:10 AM

gravytrain said:
Which fps limiter?



Just enabling Vsync should handle that for you. It limits the framerate of the game to your monitors refresh rate.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:43:26 AM

DiaSin said:
Does this only happen in the one game or everything you play? The first thing that popped into my head reading your post was the possibility of your mouse being too low of a DPI for what you have the cursor speed set to ingame. I dont see a reason why it should be stuttery at 60 fps when its perfectly smooth on my low-end system at 25 fps (unless I am driving)

Only far cry 3, it's not Stuttery frame rate, it's like Stuttery mouse movement. I have my mouse at 800 dpi with low sensitivity (~3.5 inches for 180 turn)
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:44:25 AM

DiaSin said:
Just enabling Vsync should handle that for you. It limits the framerate of the game to your monitors refresh rate.

Oh yeah I have vsync on, I always get screen tearing in games with it off.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:46:31 AM

Hmm.. let me check something ingame and get back to you in a few minutes, I seem to remember a setting that was throwing me and my friends for a loop before we found it. It didnt cause quite the amount of trouble for as as it is for you but the effect could have been scaled down for us as all 3 of us are on the same 5600dpi mouse.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:47:57 AM

DiaSin said:
Hmm.. let me check something ingame and get back to you, I will edit this post in a couple of minutes, I seem to remember a setting that was throwing me and my friends for a loop before we found it.

Okay I'll be off for a while so I'll check back later.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 9:54:33 AM

Ok. Heres what was messing us up. Far Cry 3 has an option for mouse acceleration which is enabled by default, and seems to randomly re-enable itself. Check your control settings every now and then to ensure that that is disabled. If that doesn't work all I can think of is that if available, increase the DPI on your mouse and lower the ingame sensitivity instead to match the speed you are used to on other games.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 11:17:35 AM

I just use the fps limiter in afterburner. When I look up or down the game is really jittery, even with vsync on and 60 fps. If this happens in all games then it is something else.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 11:28:50 AM

What you're seeing is screentearing. This occurs when the FPS goes above the refresh rate of your screen. You can solve this by using vsync, but vsync increases choppy gameplay. Vsync caps the FPS at 0, 15, 30, 60 and 120. So whenever your FPS drops below 60, it will cap at 30.

How to solve both these problems is adaptive vsync. Check this video out, where the benifits is explained using adaptive vsync. The problem with not using vsync and using regular vsync are also explained and showed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYf_yUvwhQ - The video. Enjoy! :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 5:35:05 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
What you're seeing is screentearing. This occurs when the FPS goes above the refresh rate of your screen. You can solve this by using vsync, but vsync increases choppy gameplay. Vsync caps the FPS at 0, 15, 30, 60 and 120. So whenever your FPS drops below 60, it will cap at 30.

How to solve both these problems is adaptive vsync. Check this video out, where the benifits is explained using adaptive vsync. The problem with not using vsync and using regular vsync are also explained and showed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYf_yUvwhQ - The video. Enjoy! :) 

No its definitely not screen tearing, and I dont have nvidia to use that adaptive vsync. My frames are perfect, it runs fine. The problem is that when I move my mouse to look around, its choppy. It isn't smooth mouse movement. I tried messing with different sensitivities and mouse DPIs but nothing helps, I can't figure it out. And Mouse acceleration is still disabled.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 6:24:46 PM

The microstuttering stops when I disable crossfire and run it on just the 7970, unfortunate.
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 7:03:13 AM

A quick update, it wasn't actually crossfire causing it. It was MSAA, if I go above 2 it stutters.
m
0
l
January 25, 2014 6:14:06 PM

Has anybody tried Hialgoboost for Far Cry 3 to remove stuttering?
m
0
l