Sign in with
Your question

How do I limit internet connection on just 1 computer on my home network?

Last response: in Networking
March 20, 2012 3:15:21 PM

I currently have a student living in my household, not one of my children, and it has come to my attention that he is using our home internet connection for things that he isn't willing to be forthcoming about. In my experience with teenagers, if they are being secrative about something, it is probably something they shouldn't be doing. I would like to limit his access to the internet until I understand what he is up to. He does need access for homework so I don't want to cut him off completely, just severely limit it. He also needs access to the printer on the network for school assignments.

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop. I believe that is what he has on his. My internet connection is though an Actiontec DSL modem which is pretty old. I know I'm going to get chastized for this, but my home network is not passworded. My questions are:

-Is there a way through Windows 7 to restrict his time on-line, short of passwording the network and having to log him in everytime he needs access?

- Is there a way to create windows of time when he can be on-line?

-Is there a way to give my computer priority on the bandwidth that the modem provides?

I'm sure there are other questions I should have asked, so please feel free to chime in with those. I am very much a novice with this type of things so probably will require pretty explicit instruction.

Thank you in advance for your help,
LIKC
March 20, 2012 4:27:51 PM

you should have a password on your wireless network. the password will only have to be entered once.

my preferred wireless mode is WPA2 not WEP

most routers will allow you to schedule internet access based on IP or MAC address.

see if your router has a QoS function which will allow you to prioritize traffic
m
l
Related resources
!