Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 670 low fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2013 4:33:16 PM

Hi guys, im Lewis 21 and i dont know much about pc's so please help me

Ive been having some low fps problems with my card and i was just wondering if you guys would know if it is my card or something els.

Gainward Gtx 670 2Gb
AMD Fx-4100 black edition
Gigabyte M68MT-S2
4 Gb o RAM
1T Hard Drive
750 Power suply
Windows 7

I have all the latist driver a few days ago i formatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything to see if that would change anything
and it didnt change much i got all the drives again and updated my Bios.

on the Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 on Extreme Render Direct3d11 Mode 1600x900 8xAA Window i got

Fps:37.3
Score:940
Min Fps:12.7
Max Fps:61.2

i also did 3DMark11 on Performance 1280x720 (i would have done the Extreme but dont have the money to buy it sorry )

Benchmark test

3DMark Score: P6056
Graphics Score: 8666
Physics Score: 3158
Combined Score: 3220

Graphics Test 1: 39.911385534189066 Fps
Graphics Test 2: 40.24590558717107 Fps
Graphics Test 3: 53.92279142563446 Fps
Graphics Test 4: 26.51988865781096 Fps
Physics Test: 10.0257549 Fps
Combined Test 14.9785643 Fps

In Games i get

In Battlefield 3 eveything maxed 25-50 fps

In Far Cry 3 everythin maxed 20-40 Fps

Mafia 2 i get 10-20 Fps everything maxed

Ive been watching other people and there benchmarks and i know that is really bad now is this problem to do with my cpu bottlenecking or is it something els please help me guys.

More about : gtx 670 low fps

a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 4:39:27 PM

your cpu is the weakest link.
February 15, 2013 4:42:24 PM

is it that causing the low fps tho
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 4:43:31 PM

OC your cpu. If you get more fps then it is the cpu.
February 15, 2013 4:44:45 PM

how do i overclock it (sorry im not that good with pc's)
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 4:49:15 PM

lewisbc said:
is it that causing the low fps tho

i would think so, your gpu is way overpowered for your cpu. an overclock might help (im not an amd guy) but i dont know how much
February 15, 2013 5:03:03 PM

awh i see ill have to give this over clocking ago how do i do it ?
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 5:10:44 PM

Hi,

I would get a better gpu because I don't think, even overclocked, would gain more power
February 15, 2013 5:13:57 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

I would get a better gpu because I don't think, even overclocked, would gain more power

what cpu do you think would work best ??
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 5:21:12 PM

i would use anything lower than a 4300/6300. the x100 series wasnt so good.
February 15, 2013 5:22:10 PM

Wait, before you overclock, open the Nvidia control panel.
go to "Manage 3D Settings" and on "Global settings " makes sure at the bottom of the list "Vertical Sync" is on "Use the 3D applications setting".

After that, apply the setting and when you play a game go into its options and make sure the Vsync/Verticle Sync is always off. I have noticed in almost all my games that if you have vsync enabled, to gives you terrible frame rates because the GTX 670 has adaptive vsync already built into its hardware. The vsync from the GPU will prevent any screen tearing, so having vsync on in the game causing problems with that.

You CPU should not be a bottleneck, as 3.6Ghz Quad core is powerful enough. Though you are on the low side of RAM, which I believe is the biggest contributor to your problem. I would recommend 8GB for gaming, 6GB minimum.
February 15, 2013 5:23:30 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

Yea.. let's put in more gpu power and ignore this article! We will get more fps!

"FX-6100: A Surprising Processor Bottleneck"
February 15, 2013 5:24:46 PM

Pepto said:
Wait, before you overclock, open the Nvidia control panel.
go to "Manage 3D Settings" and on "Global settings " makes sure at the bottom of the list "Vertical Sync" is on "Use the 3D applications setting".

After that, apply the setting and when you play a game go into its options and make sure the Vsync/Verticle Sync is always off. I have noticed in almost all my games that if you have vsync enabled, to gives you terrible frame rates because the GTX 670 has adaptive vsync already built into its hardware. The vsync from the GPU will prevent any screen tearing, so having vsync on in the game causing problems with that.

You CPU should not be a bottleneck, as 3.6Ghz Quad core is powerful enough. Though you are on the low side of RAM, which I believe is the biggest contributor to your problem. I would recommend 8GB for gaming, 6GB minimum.

o awesome okay ill give that ago thank you
February 15, 2013 5:28:07 PM

shotgunz said:
Yea.. let's put in more gpu power and ignore this article! We will get more fps!

"FX-6100: A Surprising Processor Bottleneck"

o god so AMD cpu are really bad should i buy a intel one ?
February 15, 2013 5:31:46 PM

lewisbc said:
o god so AMD cpu are really bad should i buy a intel one ?

Ignore those people, what you have is good enough to play games, they are just Intel fanboys trying to convert you.
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 5:48:27 PM

Pepto said:
Ignore those people, what you have is good enough to play games, they are just Intel fanboys trying to convert you.

ignore them? so you are saying the 4100 fits well with a 670? i would think even an amd fanboy would disagree with you. he does need an upgrade, he can stay amd if he wants, but certainly a 4300 or a 6300 is needed with a 670.
February 15, 2013 5:53:29 PM

daswilhelm said:
ignore them? so you are saying the 4100 fits well with a 670? i would think even an amd fanboy would disagree with you. he does need an upgrade, he can stay amd if he wants, but certainly a 4300 or a 6300 is needed with a 670.

I am thinking of what would be more cost-effective, he could overclock and buy a aftermarket heat sink if needed. Not everyone has money to buy new hardware that may or may not fix the problem. You don't want him to just buy something without troubleshooting first to see if there is any other possibilities.

Aslo, I wasn't talking about everyone else in my last post, I was referring to the ones that just say "amd sucks, get intel"

EDIT:
I would also like to say for future reference that I am not a AMD fanyboy (I use Intel anyways), or a fanboy of any kind. I am a unbiased shopper that just gets what is factually the better hardware for the best price.
February 15, 2013 6:02:21 PM

Pepto said:
I am thinking of what would be more cost-effective, he could overclock and buy a aftermarket heat sink if needed. Not everyone has money to buy new hardware that may or may not fix the problem. You don't want him to just buy something without troubleshooting first to see if there is any other possibilities.

Aslo, I wasn't talking about everyone else in my last post, I was referring to the ones that just say "amd sucks, get intel"

whats a aftermarket heat sink ??
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 6:02:39 PM

For the cheapest fix, you will need to overclock your cpu (or spend the money to get a faster one). Google reviews on your cpu and look at the pages dedicated to overclocking. You will find settings that will work for your cpu. Overclocking isn't as involved as it used to be. I think you will find it pretty easy once you do a little research. Make sure you keeps a close eye on temperatures, use CoreTemp.
February 15, 2013 6:03:10 PM

Pepto said:

EDIT:
I would also like to say for future reference that I am not a AMD fanyboy (I use Intel anyways), or a fanboy of any kind. I am a unbiased shopper that just gets what is factually the better hardware for the best price.

February 15, 2013 6:04:00 PM

okay so i overclocked it (i think) and in battlefield it went from 30-40 too 40-50 so that means its the cpu right ??
February 15, 2013 6:05:53 PM

lewisbc said:

Aftermarket heat sinks are heat sinks for your CPU that you buy and don't come with your CPU in the box. You can find them on sites like Newegg and Tigerdirect. you would need to buy a new heat sink if you overclock (in most cases)
February 15, 2013 6:07:22 PM

lewisbc said:
okay so i overclocked it (i think) and in battlefield it went from 30-40 too 40-50 so that means its the cpu right ??

You may want to watch your CPU temps, generally anything above 65 C is in the caution zone. Also, the GTX 670 will not get you a solid 60FPS in most new games. 40-50fps sounds about right for a 670
February 15, 2013 6:11:52 PM

Pepto said:
You may want to watch your CPU temps, generally anything above 65 C is in the caution zone. Also, the GTX 670 will not get you a solid 60FPS in most new games. 40-50fps sounds about right for a 670

how do i look at the cpu temp??
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 6:15:10 PM

How far did u overclock? Too much on stock cooler is not good and yes if u oc and fps go up u have cpu bottleneck. I get 70 -80 fps same gpu. Heres another tip - in game, turn msaa off and set antialiasing post to high (looks like 4x msaa without performance hit - called txaa).
February 15, 2013 6:19:52 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
How far did u overclock? Too much on stock cooler is not good and yes if u oc and fps go up u have cpu bottleneck. I get 70 -80 fps same gpu. Heres another tip - in game, turn msaa off and set antialiasing post to high (looks like 4x msaa without performance hit - called txaa).

i went on this program that come with my pc called ET6 (EasyTune6) and on the tuner settings there is a core boost setting and i enabled that.

it says core boost allows you to unleash the proformance from the hidden cores in the AMD processor
February 15, 2013 6:20:05 PM

Pepto said:

That's an extremely generalized statement. I'm always around 60 fps with vsync except for the rough games like Metro 2033, in which case yes I'll be playing between 40-50 (no DoF).

Also, in Heaven maxed out I can get 51 fps, so his card is definitely bottlenecked by the CPU.

EDIT: Why those settings on Heaven? That's whack, go 1080p fullscreen at least.
February 15, 2013 6:22:40 PM

TheMadFapper said:
That's an extremely generalized statement. I'm always around 60 fps with vsync except for the rough games like Metro 2033, in which case yes I'll be playing between 40-50 (no DoF).

Also, in Heaven maxed out I can get 51 fps, so his card is definitely bottlenecked by the CPU.

what cpu are you using ??
February 15, 2013 6:24:05 PM

lewisbc said:
what cpu are you using ??

Intel Core i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5 Ghz.
February 15, 2013 6:26:15 PM

TheMadFapper said:

EDIT: Why those settings on Heaven? That's whack, go 1080p fullscreen at least.

battlefield 3 is a "rough" game. But yes, I do agree that his Heaven results are a low. But I think I heard that because he doesn't own the full version of Heaven, that he doesn't get to choose its settings when it runs.
February 15, 2013 6:29:11 PM

TheMadFapper said:
Intel Core i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5 Ghz.

The reason you get 60FPS on almost all your games isn't only because you have a GTX 670, its because you CPU is 4.5Ghz. I have the exact same CPU at 4Ghz, so 40-50FPS is common in the newest games (that have high fidelity)
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 6:34:29 PM

4.1 ghz 3570 easily runs in the 70s at 1080 full ultra. Using txaa puts me up in the 90s. The gpu is stock clocked. Think the op's system is certainly clock-blocked.
February 15, 2013 6:37:28 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
clock-blocked.

lol

...but J_e_d_70, you also have 8GB of RAM, he has 4GB and we dont even know what speed it is. Its could be 1333 or lower for all we know
February 15, 2013 6:38:39 PM

Pepto said:
The reason you get 60FPS on almost all your games isn't only because you have a GTX 670, its because you CPU is 4.5Ghz. I have the exact same CPU at 4Ghz, so 40-50FPS is common in the newest games (that have high fidelity)

What's your point? That's why I said his card is bottlenecked by the CPU. We both have 670s, and even if I downclock everything it runs way better than what his Heaven scores show.
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 6:43:10 PM

Ya memory could be a factor. Not familiar w/ how amd cpus handle memory speed and timing.
February 15, 2013 6:43:54 PM

TheMadFapper said:
What's your point? That's why I said his card is bottlenecked by the CPU. We both have 670s, and even if I downclock everything it runs way better than what his Heaven scores show.

If his games run a 40-50FPS, that is normal and easily playable so I see no more problems. So what if heaven is low? its just a benchmark, that 20fps that he got could be a fluke, stutter, or something in the background operations. He got 60FPS and a average of ~40fps, that is a completely playable range.
February 15, 2013 6:47:41 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Ya memory could be a factor. Not familiar w/ how amd cpus handle memory speed and timing.

I personally don't think 4GB would be enough for the games he is playing
February 15, 2013 6:49:06 PM

Pepto said:
If his games run a 40-50FPS, that is normal and easily playable so I see no more problems. So what if heaven is low? its just a benchmark, that 20fps that he got could be a fluke, stutter, or something in the background operations. He got 60FPS and a average of ~40fps, that is a completely playable range.

1. You're talking like a help desk person troubleshooting someone's internet speed, and telling them they should be happy with only decent performance. If he wants the maximum performance that he's seeing in other people's benchmarks and getting jelly, then we should help him achieve that.

2. I don't know where you're pulling some of those numbers, he wasn't getting good FPS numbers in any of those games. Good being defined by other 670s performance.

3. I kind of feel like you're trying to defend his choice of CPU. While it's a good processor, it is the bottleneck in this case. Period.

EDIT: Also, like I said, he has weird settings for his Heaven bench and it's hard to compare it to mine.
February 15, 2013 6:59:43 PM

TheMadFapper said:
1. You're talking like a help desk person troubleshooting someone's internet speed, and telling them they should be happy with only decent performance. If he wants the maximum performance that he's seeing in other people's benchmarks and getting jelly, then we should help him achieve that.

2. I don't know where you're pulling some of those numbers, he wasn't getting good FPS numbers in any of those games. Good being defined by other 670s performance.

3. I kind of feel like you're trying to defend his choice of CPU. While it's a good processor, it is the bottleneck in this case. Period.

I just want to narrow down any other possibilities that may increase performance before he buys anything that's not needed. I am getting his numbers from the later post on page 3
lewisbc said:

to me it sounds like his performance is increasing without spending anything.

It also sounds like this computer is relatively new and that it was pre-built and may have a warranty that would be broken if he replaced the cpu (or any component for that fact), but if that's not the case or he wants to buy a whole new CPU that is up to him. He has a $90 CPU so he will get what he payed for. If he has $200 I guess he could buy a faster cpu if he wanted.

I'm out, bye :l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 7:17:33 PM

Wow the dude stopped posting 6 post ago I hope he didn't fry his CPU. He really shouldn't overclock without getting a better aftermarket cooler. What version O/S is he running? If he's running 32bit he can't use over 4GB.
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 7:20:12 PM

thats why people shouldn't just recommend an overclock.
!