Tivo is recording stuff thats not programmed

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 10, 2005 10:37:45 AM

I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
How do I stop tivo from recording randomly
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 7:03:41 PM

In article <1108049865.347004.128440@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly

It is hardly random. It's recording because it's configured to record
Tivo Suggestions. READ YOUR MANUAL, so you'll know how to turn that off
if you'd prefer your TiVo not do that.
February 10, 2005 7:03:42 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:41 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <1108049865.347004.128440@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
>> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
>> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
>> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly
>
>It is hardly random. It's recording because it's configured to record
>Tivo Suggestions. READ YOUR MANUAL, so you'll know how to turn that off
>if you'd prefer your TiVo not do that.

The Tivo software is not elegant or advanced enough for customers to
understand how it works.

Try your cable DVR. It's much bettre than Tivo and if you need help
with something the Comcast product has video help.

Sean
Related resources
February 10, 2005 7:10:10 PM

Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and the
Comcast DVR for Sean. Unless you are a complete retard, you will be able to
see that TiVo has it all over Comcast.

JaSoN

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:41 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <1108049865.347004.128440@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>> "Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
>>> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
>>> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
>>> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly
>>
>>It is hardly random. It's recording because it's configured to record
>>Tivo Suggestions. READ YOUR MANUAL, so you'll know how to turn that off
>>if you'd prefer your TiVo not do that.
>
> The Tivo software is not elegant or advanced enough for customers to
> understand how it works.
>
> Try your cable DVR. It's much bettre than Tivo and if you need help
> with something the Comcast product has video help.
>
> Sean
February 10, 2005 7:57:29 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:10:10 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

>Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and the
>Comcast DVR for Sean. Unless you are a complete retard, you will be able to
>see that TiVo has it all over Comcast.
>
>JaSoN

Unless you are a top posting complete retard you'd be able to see that
I've never compared the Comcast or any other cable DVR to the soon to
be obsolete, $1000 Directv HD Tivo.

Cable, dillweed. Cable.

Sean

>"Sean" <none> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:41 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
>> wrote:

>>>It is hardly random. It's recording because it's configured to record
>>>Tivo Suggestions. READ YOUR MANUAL, so you'll know how to turn that off
>>>if you'd prefer your TiVo not do that.
>>
>> The Tivo software is not elegant or advanced enough for customers to
>> understand how it works.
>>
>> Try your cable DVR. It's much bettre than Tivo and if you need help
>> with something the Comcast product has video help.
>>
>> Sean

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:17:34 PM

In article <5g3n01978sfm33h7hks4kb25sjfoig488s@4ax.com>, Sean <none>
says...
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:03:41 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <1108049865.347004.128440@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> > "Pancho Claus" <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
> >> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
> >> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
> >> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly
> >
> >It is hardly random. It's recording because it's configured to record
> >Tivo Suggestions. READ YOUR MANUAL, so you'll know how to turn that off
> >if you'd prefer your TiVo not do that.
>
> The Tivo software is not elegant or advanced enough for customers to
> understand how it works.
>
> Try your cable DVR. It's much bettre than Tivo and if you need help
> with something the Comcast product has video help.
>
> Sean

But before you do that, killfile Sean here.
February 10, 2005 10:00:26 PM

I got mine for $700.

JaSoN

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:10:10 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>>Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and
>>the
>>Comcast DVR for Sean. Unless you are a complete retard, you will be able
>>see that TiVo has it all over Comcast.
>>
>>JaSoN
>>

> Unless you are a top posting complete retard you'd be able to see that
> I've never compared the Comcast or any other cable DVR to the soon to
> be obsolete, $1000 Directv HD Tivo.
>
> Cable, dillweed. Cable.
>
> Sean
>

>>"Sean" <none> wrote in message

>>> The Tivo software is not elegant or advanced enough for customers to
>>> understand how it works.
>>>
>>> Try your cable DVR. It's much bettre than Tivo and if you need help
>>> with something the Comcast product has video help.
>>>
>>> Sean

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:54:04 AM

In article <2pqdnRXZooovUJbfRVn-gg@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and the
> Comcast DVR for Sean. Unless you are a complete retard, you will be able to
> see that TiVo has it all over Comcast.
>
> JaSoN

So you know Sean.
February 11, 2005 2:06:57 AM

"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote in

> Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and
> the Comcast DVR for Sean.

Been done.

> Unless you are a complete retard,

He is.

February 11, 2005 3:45:22 PM

In article <kpSdncjBg5cHaJbfRVn-iw@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> I got mine for $700.
>
> JaSoN

Where? With the DirecTv $200 credit, the $250 I can get selling a 240
hour HDVR2 on eBay, and the $250 it costs for an HDTV tuner for OTA,
that pays for the puppy !!
February 11, 2005 3:45:23 PM

I got it on eBay. And since I live in NJ I get the NYC feed in HD. Loving
it!!!

JaSoN

> In article <kpSdncjBg5cHaJbfRVn-iw@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> I got mine for $700.
>>
>> JaSoN
>>

> Where? With the DirecTv $200 credit, the $250 I can get selling a 240
> hour HDVR2 on eBay, and the $250 it costs for an HDTV tuner for OTA,
> that pays for the puppy !!
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:35:19 PM

In article <OsOdnfbn5dJbQJHfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> I got it on eBay. And since I live in NJ I get the NYC feed in HD. Loving
> it!!!
>
> JaSoN
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <kpSdncjBg5cHaJbfRVn-iw@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I got mine for $700.

Lowest I see on eBay from what looks like a real dealer is $799.99 + $25
shipping.

> >> JaSoN
> >>

> > Where? With the DirecTv $200 credit, the $250 I can get selling a 240
> > hour HDVR2 on eBay, and the $250 it costs for an HDTV tuner for OTA,
> > that pays for the puppy !!
February 11, 2005 10:35:20 PM

I got it from Cleveland Satellite from somewhere in Texas. They have an
eBay store.

JaSoN

> In article <OsOdnfbn5dJbQJHfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> I got it on eBay. And since I live in NJ I get the NYC feed in HD.
>> Loving
>> it!!!
>>
>> JaSoN
>>
>> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Lowest I see on eBay from what looks like a real dealer is $799.99 + $25
> shipping.

>> > Where? With the DirecTv $200 credit, the $250 I can get selling a 240
>> > hour HDVR2 on eBay, and the $250 it costs for an HDTV tuner for OTA,
>> > that pays for the puppy !!
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:20:15 AM

Pancho Claus <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly

The thread seems to have gone off target...

Your Tivo will look at what sorts of shows you are recording, and will try
to record other shows that are similar (eg. it sees you recording Crime
Dramas, and records a random episode of Miami Vice late one night.)

These are called Tivo Suggestions. They are only recorded if you have
nothing else scheduled (eg. a season pass) and are the first thing to be
deleted if it needs space for something you've scheduled. You can turn
this off in the UI under preferences. Otherwise, you can help train Tivo
by giving shows thumbs-up/thumbs-down. All shows that you tell Tivo to
record automatically get 1 thumbs-up. You can give any shows a thumbs
rating, and it will use this information to determine what else you might
like. This takes a bit of time, so don't be surprised if Tivo starts
suggesting totally strange programs.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 2:33:46 AM

In article <nKqdnYBBG7kYhJDfRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> I got it from Cleveland Satellite from somewhere in Texas. They have an
> eBay store.

You have a current link? Did you get new in a box?

> JaSoN
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <OsOdnfbn5dJbQJHfRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I got it on eBay. And since I live in NJ I get the NYC feed in HD.
> >> Loving
> >> it!!!
> >>
> >> JaSoN
> >>
> >> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > Lowest I see on eBay from what looks like a real dealer is $799.99 + $25
> > shipping.

February 12, 2005 2:33:47 AM

Do a web search for Cleveland Satellite. I think their number is in Yahoo
Yellow Pages. It is somewhere in Texas. Sorry I don't have more info for
you.

JaSoN

> In article <nKqdnYBBG7kYhJDfRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> I got it from Cleveland Satellite from somewhere in Texas. They have an
>> eBay store.
>>

> You have a current link? Did you get new in a box?
>

>> JaSoN
>>
>> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > Lowest I see on eBay from what looks like a real dealer is $799.99 +
>> > $25
>> > shipping.

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 6:30:15 AM

In article <7ZOdnQRwuOftyZDfRVn-iA@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> Do a web search for Cleveland Satellite. I think their number is in Yahoo
> Yellow Pages. It is somewhere in Texas. Sorry I don't have more info for
> you.
>
> JaSoN

I did. The only such place listed is in Ohio.
February 12, 2005 6:30:16 AM

That is him. But it looks like it is a bit more money now. IT is good
service and the TiVo came in great condition. Brand new!

JaSoN

> In article <7ZOdnQRwuOftyZDfRVn-iA@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> Do a web search for Cleveland Satellite. I think their number is in
>> Yahoo
>> Yellow Pages. It is somewhere in Texas. Sorry I don't have more info
>> for
>> you.
>>
>> JaSoN
>
> I did. The only such place listed is in Ohio.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:08:58 AM

ON DEC 10 YOU HAD THE HD TIVO
Dec 10 2004, 8:01am

I am moving to the Philly area and I bought a HD DirecTV TiVo. When I
set up service, will I:
1) Receive WNBC in HD from New York from DirecTV?
2) Receive ANY local channels in HD from DirecTV?
3) Need to use an antenna to get local networks in HD?

Thanks in advance!

JaSoN

BUT AS OF JANUARY 23, YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE HD TIVO:

Jan 23 2004, 6:32am

Yes. We have a non-HD box in the bedroom, a non-HD box for the Tivo, and
an HD box for HD viewing. I pay a little extra in cable box rental, but
it is worth it to us. If we could someday have an HD Tivo that records 2
shows at once (I know I am dreaming) we would be thrilled!!

JaSoN

In article <7pSdnXwfwO9j45DfRVn-1g@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> d=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> That is him. But it looks like it is a bit more money now. IT is good
> service and the TiVo came in great condition. Brand new!
>
> JaSoN

WHICH IS IT? GREAT CONDITION OR BRAND NEW?

Truth comes out. You paid AT BEST $799, not $700

WITH EBAY ONE CAN CHECK ALL THE ONES HE SOLD:

ON OCTOBER 24 HE CHARGED $899

785

BY NOVEMBER 24 HIS PRICE WAS $849

252

On December 6 his price was still $849

843

FINALLY ON December 16 his sale price was $819

06

ONE SOLD ON JANUARY 12 FOR $819 and GOT THIS FEEDBACK:

"Im not convinced the expensive item I ordered is brand new".

AND YOUR SELLER DID NOT RESPOND DENYING THAT COMMENT.

ON JANUARY 22 HIS PRICE WAS STILL $819.

291

ONLY NOW IS HIS PRICE $799.
SO WHEN DID YOU PAY THIS ALLEGED $700 ?????

CARE TO GIVE US A URL FOR A $700 SALE? OR DID YOU REALLY PAY $799 FOR A
REFURBISHED UNIT? PLUS $20 SHIPPING, AND TOLD THE WIFE IT WAS $700?? OR
MAYBE YOU PAID $849 ? OR MAYBE YOU'RE MAKING THIS UP AS YOU GO ALONG ?
February 12, 2005 10:32:54 PM

Huh?!?!

I bought the HD TiVo in December-ish. I had 2 standalones in my apartment
before that. My actual move to the Philly area (but still in NJ) was Jan
15. So now I have 2 DirecTiVos for the bedroom and the basement, and one HD
DirecTiVo for the Family room. I still have mt 2 old Series 2's sitting
around collecting dust as well.

At any rate, I bought mine (HD Box) for somewhere in the $700 range back in
December before I moved. Does that clear it up? I am starting to confuse
myself now!

JaSoN

> ON DEC 10 YOU HAD THE HD TIVO
> Dec 10 2004, 8:01am
>
> I am moving to the Philly area and I bought a HD DirecTV TiVo. When I
> set up service, will I:
> 1) Receive WNBC in HD from New York from DirecTV?
> 2) Receive ANY local channels in HD from DirecTV?
> 3) Need to use an antenna to get local networks in HD?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> JaSoN
>

> BUT AS OF JANUARY 23, YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE HD TIVO:
>
> Jan 23 2004, 6:32am
>
> Yes. We have a non-HD box in the bedroom, a non-HD box for the Tivo, and
> an HD box for HD viewing. I pay a little extra in cable box rental, but
> it is worth it to us. If we could someday have an HD Tivo that records 2
> shows at once (I know I am dreaming) we would be thrilled!!
>
> JaSoN

> In article <nKqdnYBBG7kYhJDfRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> I got it from Cleveland Satellite from somewhere in Texas. They have an
>> eBay store.
>

> In article <7pSdnXwfwO9j45DfRVn-1g@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>> d=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>>
>> That is him. But it looks like it is a bit more money now. IT is good
>> service and the TiVo came in great condition. Brand new!
>>
>> JaSoN
>
> WHICH IS IT? GREAT CONDITION OR BRAND NEW?
>
> Truth comes out. You paid AT BEST $799, not $700
>
> WITH EBAY ONE CAN CHECK ALL THE ONES HE SOLD:
>
> ON OCTOBER 24 HE CHARGED $899
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 785
>
> BY NOVEMBER 24 HIS PRICE WAS $849
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 252
>
> On December 6 his price was still $849
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 843
>

> FINALLY ON December 16 his sale price was $819
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 06
>
> ONE SOLD ON JANUARY 12 FOR $819 and GOT THIS FEEDBACK:
>
> "Im not convinced the expensive item I ordered is brand new".
>
> AND YOUR SELLER DID NOT RESPOND DENYING THAT COMMENT.
>

> ON JANUARY 22 HIS PRICE WAS STILL $819.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> 291
>
> ONLY NOW IS HIS PRICE $799.
> SO WHEN DID YOU PAY THIS ALLEGED $700 ?????
>
> CARE TO GIVE US A URL FOR A $700 SALE? OR DID YOU REALLY PAY $799 FOR A
> REFURBISHED UNIT? PLUS $20 SHIPPING, AND TOLD THE WIFE IT WAS $700?? OR
> MAYBE YOU PAID $849 ? OR MAYBE YOU'RE MAKING THIS UP AS YOU GO ALONG ?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:13:23 AM

In article <kNqdndjhQ9apPZPfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> Huh?!?!
>
> I bought the HD TiVo in December-ish. I had 2 standalones in my apartment
> before that. My actual move to the Philly area (but still in NJ) was Jan
> 15. So now I have 2 DirecTiVos for the bedroom and the basement, and one HD
> DirecTiVo for the Family room. I still have mt 2 old Series 2's sitting
> around collecting dust as well.
>
> At any rate, I bought mine (HD Box) for somewhere in the $700 range back in
> December before I moved. Does that clear it up? I am starting to confuse
> myself now!
>
> JaSoN

You are totally without credibility. Go find your sales slip. Your vendor
was selling them for $819 in December. You were caught lying when you
said you got yours for $700.

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > ON DEC 10 YOU HAD THE HD TIVO
> > Dec 10 2004, 8:01am
> >
> > I am moving to the Philly area and I bought a HD DirecTV TiVo. When I
> > set up service, will I:
> > 1) Receive WNBC in HD from New York from DirecTV?
> > 2) Receive ANY local channels in HD from DirecTV?
> > 3) Need to use an antenna to get local networks in HD?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > JaSoN
> >

> > BUT AS OF JANUARY 23, YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE HD TIVO:
> >
> > Jan 23 2004, 6:32am
> >
> > Yes. We have a non-HD box in the bedroom, a non-HD box for the Tivo, and
> > an HD box for HD viewing. I pay a little extra in cable box rental, but
> > it is worth it to us. If we could someday have an HD Tivo that records 2
> > shows at once (I know I am dreaming) we would be thrilled!!
> >
> > JaSoN

There's the lie.

> > In article <nKqdnYBBG7kYhJDfRVn-sg@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I got it from Cleveland Satellite from somewhere in Texas. They have an
> >> eBay store.
> >

> > In article <7pSdnXwfwO9j45DfRVn-1g@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> >> 3&r
> >> d=1&ssPageName=WDVW
> >>
> >> That is him. But it looks like it is a bit more money now. IT is good
> >> service and the TiVo came in great condition. Brand new!
> >>
> >> JaSoN
> >
> > WHICH IS IT? GREAT CONDITION OR BRAND NEW?
> >
> > Truth comes out. You paid AT BEST $799, not $700
> >
> > WITH EBAY ONE CAN CHECK ALL THE ONES HE SOLD:
> >
> > ON OCTOBER 24 HE CHARGED $899
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> > 785
> >
> > BY NOVEMBER 24 HIS PRICE WAS $849
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> > 252
> >
> > On December 6 his price was still $849
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> > 843
> >

> > FINALLY ON December 16 his sale price was $819
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> > 06
> >
> > ONE SOLD ON JANUARY 12 FOR $819 and GOT THIS FEEDBACK:
> >
> > "Im not convinced the expensive item I ordered is brand new".
> >
> > AND YOUR SELLER DID NOT RESPOND DENYING THAT COMMENT.
> >

> > ON JANUARY 22 HIS PRICE WAS STILL $819.
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
> > 291
> >
> > ONLY NOW IS HIS PRICE $799.
> > SO WHEN DID YOU PAY THIS ALLEGED $700 ?????
> >
> > CARE TO GIVE US A URL FOR A $700 SALE? OR DID YOU REALLY PAY $799 FOR A
> > REFURBISHED UNIT? PLUS $20 SHIPPING, AND TOLD THE WIFE IT WAS $700?? OR
> > MAYBE YOU PAID $849 ? OR MAYBE YOU'RE MAKING THIS UP AS YOU GO ALONG ?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:36:13 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 at 15:37 GMT, <tharris66@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few shows set to record and when I check the now showing list
> I see that they have recorded. But there are also a few other things in
> there that were recorded but I did not program. What's going on here?
> How do I stop tivo from recording randomly

Check your manual's index for "suggestions".

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

Why the attack? I am sure of what I paid. If you don't believe me, oh
well. Grow up idiot!

JaSoN

> [...]
>> >
>> > On December 6 his price was still $849
>> >
>> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>> > 843
>> >

>> > FINALLY ON December 16 his sale price was $819
>> >
>> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>> > 06
>> >
>> > ONE SOLD ON JANUARY 12 FOR $819 and GOT THIS FEEDBACK:
>> >
>> > "Im not convinced the expensive item I ordered is brand new".
>> >
>> > AND YOUR SELLER DID NOT RESPOND DENYING THAT COMMENT.
>> >

>> > ON JANUARY 22 HIS PRICE WAS STILL $819.
>> >
>> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>> > 291
>> >
>> > ONLY NOW IS HIS PRICE $799.
>> > SO WHEN DID YOU PAY THIS ALLEGED $700 ?????
>> >
>> > CARE TO GIVE US A URL FOR A $700 SALE? OR DID YOU REALLY PAY $799 FOR A
>> > REFURBISHED UNIT? PLUS $20 SHIPPING, AND TOLD THE WIFE IT WAS $700?? OR
>> > MAYBE YOU PAID $849 ? OR MAYBE YOU'RE MAKING THIS UP AS YOU GO ALONG ?
February 16, 2005 1:25:22 AM

In article <UZ-dnb-43vnDuI_fRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> Why the attack? I am sure of what I paid. If you don't believe me, oh
> well. Grow up idiot!
>
> JaSoN

You don't know what you paid. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. And calling me
names wont make you right.

Provide us a URL of your eBay purhchase and then we'll believe you
bought an HR10-250 for $700 from a Vendor
at a time he was selling them for $819.

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <kNqdndjhQ9apPZPfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Huh?!?!
> >>
> >> I bought the HD TiVo in December-ish. I had 2 standalones in my
> >> apartment
> >> before that. My actual move to the Philly area (but still in NJ) was Jan
> >> 15. So now I have 2 DirecTiVos for the bedroom and the basement, and one
> >> HD
> >> DirecTiVo for the Family room. I still have mt 2 old Series 2's sitting
> >> around collecting dust as well.
> >>
> >> At any rate, I bought mine (HD Box) for somewhere in the $700 range back
> >> in
> >> December before I moved. Does that clear it up? I am starting to
> >> confuse
> >> myself now!
> >>
> >> JaSoN
> >

> > You are totally without credibility. Go find your sales slip. Your vendor
> > was selling them for $819 in December. You were caught lying when you
> > said you got yours for $700.
> >

> >> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > There's the lie.

February 16, 2005 4:23:05 PM

I can't find a link because I didn't leave feedback. Mine was bought in an
auction, not a Buy-It-Now. At any rate, whether you believe me or not isn't
relevant. I would have paid $1000 for the unit if I had to. I may buy
another on for the bedroom as well...And I don't know from whom or for what
price. Do you have one yet? Or are you just throwing opinions around?

Feel free to bash me or whatever it is that you want to do. But
remember...you threw stones first by calling me a liar. If I am off by a
few bucks in the price, I don't think it is a big deal. I know it was in
the $700's. But truthfully, the cost isn't important to me at all...it is
the product that matters.

With all of this said, I think we should agree to disagree on this one.

JaSoN

> In article <UZ-dnb-43vnDuI_fRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
>> Why the attack? I am sure of what I paid. If you don't believe me, oh
>> well. Grow up idiot!
>>
>> JaSoN
>
> You don't know what you paid. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. And calling me
> names wont make you right.
>
> Provide us a URL of your eBay purhchase and then we'll believe you
> bought an HR10-250 for $700 from a Vendor
> at a time he was selling them for $819.
>

>> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > You are totally without credibility. Go find your sales slip. Your
>> > vendor
>> > was selling them for $819 in December. You were caught lying when you
>> > said you got yours for $700.

>> > There's the lie.

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:31:43 PM

In article <-_-dneSexI4UEo7fRVn-qQ@comcast.com>,
"JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

> I can't find a link because I didn't leave feedback. Mine was bought in an
> auction, not a Buy-It-Now.

That's no excuse. Go into "myeBAY" and pull it up under your account, or
are you afraid that it will show what a liar you are. You claimed to
have paid $700 for an HR10-250 at a time the vendor was selling them for
$819.

> At any rate, whether you believe me or not isn't relevant.

You said you paid $700, prove it.

>I would have paid $1000 for the unit if I had to. I may buy
> another on for the bedroom as well...And I don't know from whom or for what
> price. Do you have one yet? Or are you just throwing opinions around?
>
> Feel free to bash me or whatever it is that you want to do. But
> remember...you threw stones first by calling me a liar. If I am off by a
> few bucks in the price, I don't think it is a big deal. I know it was in
> the $700's. But truthfully, the cost isn't important to me at all...it is
> the product that matters.

The cost is important. It shows whether you told the truth or not.

> With all of this said, I think we should agree to disagree on this one.
>
> JaSoN
>

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <UZ-dnb-43vnDuI_fRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
> > "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Why the attack? I am sure of what I paid. If you don't believe me, oh
> >> well. Grow up idiot!
> >>
> >> JaSoN
> >
> > You don't know what you paid. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. And calling me
> > names wont make you right.
> >
> > Provide us a URL of your eBay purhchase and then we'll believe you
> > bought an HR10-250 for $700 from a Vendor
> > at a time he was selling them for $819.
> >

> >> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:18:41 PM

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I paid $719 net for mine. $869 on eBay (Oct-14-2004 from
> "direct2you_auctions so it's too old to provide a link of the actual page,
> but it was via buy it now) minus $150 credit from DirecTV for activating an
> HD unit.

This is quite reasonable. You paid $869 and got a credit from DirecTV
as other people have. This doesn't change the fact that you paid $869.

> So I believe Jason paid somewhere in the lower $700 range.

I don't. A new HR10-250 being sold for less than cost just doesn't make
sense. If it was used, then it's possible (although unlikely).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TeriHatcher.g...
February 16, 2005 11:31:43 PM

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> I paid $719 net for mine. $869 on eBay (Oct-14-2004 from
>> "direct2you_auctions so it's too old to provide a link of the actual
>> page,
>> but it was via buy it now) minus $150 credit from DirecTV for activating
>> an
>> HD unit.
>
> This is quite reasonable. You paid $869 and got a credit from DirecTV
> as other people have. This doesn't change the fact that you paid $869.
>
>> So I believe Jason paid somewhere in the lower $700 range.
>
> I don't. A new HR10-250 being sold for less than cost just doesn't make
> sense. If it was used, then it's possible (although unlikely).

But who really cares how the price was arrived at? Bottom line, the NET is
$719. Does it make a difference in my wallet how that number was arrived
at? Or just that it was the final price?

I'm not talking about rebates, that's a whole different story.

People say they got car "X" for $29,000 all the time. Does it make a
difference that the car was really $30,000 with $1000 cash back?

Too much time fretting over semantics. I can't speak for Jason, but I know
that my HD DirecTiVo only cost me $719. I don't care that number came to
fruition, just that it was the number.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:03:03 AM

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > I don't. A new HR10-250 being sold for less than cost just doesn't make
> > sense. If it was used, then it's possible (although unlikely).
>
> But who really cares how the price was arrived at?

Because a credit from DirecTV is only good for paying the DirecTV bill,
not for paying off your credit card. If you stop subscribing to DirecTV,
the credit goes away.

In addition, the "credit" might consist of a year of Showtime for free.
This doesn't put more money in your wallet.

> Bottom line, the NET is
> $719. Does it make a difference in my wallet how that number was arrived
> at?

Well, if you buy a TV for $1000 at Best Buy and then enter the online
"feedback sweepstakes" and win $100, would you tell people "go to Best
Buy and you can get this TV for $900"? It's the same thing, because
DirecTV has refused to give some people any credit when they buy an
HR10-250. So, the price of the unit matters.

> Too much time fretting over semantics. I can't speak for Jason, but I know
> that my HD DirecTiVo only cost me $719.

If you count the credit DirecTV gave you, you now need to count the cost
of programming for the 1 year commitment that you got locked into when
you got that credit. This is true because an HR10-250 doesn't carry any
programming commitment by itself because there is no subsidy on the price
by DirecTV (like other receivers have). So, by getting a $150 credit, you
also agreed to a $175 penalty if you cancel DirecTV within a year, plus
you agreed to pony up at least $40/month for the next year.

--
Jeff Rife | "Oooh, I love children...
| they taste like chicken."
|
| -- Heddy Newman, "Herman's Head"
February 17, 2005 1:36:47 AM

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > I don't. A new HR10-250 being sold for less than cost just doesn't
>> > make
>> > sense. If it was used, then it's possible (although unlikely).
>>
>> But who really cares how the price was arrived at?
>
> Because a credit from DirecTV is only good for paying the DirecTV bill,
> not for paying off your credit card. If you stop subscribing to DirecTV,
> the credit goes away.

Yeah, so? Seeing as the majority of new receiver activations come with a
renewal of a 1 year committment, you have 12 months to eat up that credit.
What do you think the average bill for a HiDef customer is? At least $50 is
a safe assumption? My bill is around $90. By the 2nd billing period I've
eaten up the credit.

> In addition, the "credit" might consist of a year of Showtime for free.
> This doesn't put more money in your wallet.

I also got 6 months of HBO for free as well as the HD pack for 6 months.
Notice I didn't mention that as cash in pocket.

>> Bottom line, the NET
>> is
>> $719. Does it make a difference in my wallet how that number was arrived
>> at?
>
> Well, if you buy a TV for $1000 at Best Buy and then enter the online
> "feedback sweepstakes" and win $100, would you tell people "go to Best
> Buy and you can get this TV for $900"? It's the same thing, because
> DirecTV has refused to give some people any credit when they buy an
> HR10-250. So, the price of the unit matters.

No, cause a sweepstakes is not garunteed cash in pocket. A $150 credit on a
bill that you know will be coming due is cash in pocket. Boo Hoo, I lost
$.50 in interest by not actually having greenbacks in hand provided we were
talking about an actual cash transaction.

Who did they "refuse" to give a credit to? Any links to that? Anybody
could have done what I did. All I did, prior to buying the unit (when I was
trying to decide if it was worth the $ or not) was call DirecTV and ask.
They immediately said, "Sure. Activate any HiDef receiver (TiVo or
otherwise) and we will give you $150 credit to help defray the cost of the
equipment".

>> Too much time fretting over semantics. I can't speak for Jason, but I
>> know
>> that my HD DirecTiVo only cost me $719.
>
> If you count the credit DirecTV gave you, you now need to count the cost
> of programming for the 1 year commitment that you got locked into when
> you got that credit. This is true because an HR10-250 doesn't carry any
> programming commitment by itself because there is no subsidy on the price
> by DirecTV (like other receivers have). So, by getting a $150 credit, you
> also agreed to a $175 penalty if you cancel DirecTV within a year, plus
> you agreed to pony up at least $40/month for the next year.

And the commitment (for me) is a non issue as I knew long before turning the
new receiver on I had no intention of canceling my account anytime soon.
Would you spend hundreds of dollars on equipment if you had the intention of
canceling the only service you could use it with in the near future?

The cost of programming is a non-issue as I was already paying that and
nothing changed. If I hadn't gotten the new receiver I would still be
paying that monthly fee.

Like I said, this is all a game of semantics. My HD DirecTiVo only cost me
$719. Call it Enron economics if you wish. I paid by credit card, which
wasn't due for approximately 45 days from when I purchased the unit. By 45
days later I had burned through the majority of the credit DirecTV put on my
account for activating it. My bill due to DirecTV a few days later I didn't
pay (there $90 that stayed in my pocket immediately) as I knew I had a
credit on my account. 30 days later, my bill was $60 lighter than it should
have been.

Play your semantic game all you want. My DirecTiVo only cost me $719 and
I've shown how, and have not counted "sweepstakes that you may or may not
win" nor "free services that you may or may not actually subscribe to". If
I counted those, that would knock about another $132 off.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:39:16 AM

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > Well, if you buy a TV for $1000 at Best Buy and then enter the online
> > "feedback sweepstakes" and win $100, would you tell people "go to Best
> > Buy and you can get this TV for $900"? It's the same thing, because
> > DirecTV has refused to give some people any credit when they buy an
> > HR10-250. So, the price of the unit matters.
>
> No, cause a sweepstakes is not garunteed cash in pocket.

Exactly my point. The DirecTV credit is not guaranteed.

> Who did they "refuse" to give a credit to? Any links to that?

Yeah, read the HD TiVo forum at TiVo Community. Several people were
turned down for credits. Some eventually got them by playing CSR
roulette, but many "regular" people don't know to do that.

Of course, most people don't know about the credit being available at
all.

> Like I said, this is all a game of semantics. My HD DirecTiVo only cost me
> $719. Call it Enron economics if you wish.

It is. Some people claim by using the same methods that their HR10-250
cost them only $200:

$850 including shipping
-$250 DirecTV credit
-$250 for the non-DVR HD receiver sold on eBay
-$150 for the 105 hour SD DirecTiVo sold on eBay
=====
$200 net cost

Since the all these "credits" aren't guaranteed at all, the actual cost
was $850. This is still a great price for the functionality you get.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Zits/Merging.jpg
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:20:13 AM

Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> Because a credit from DirecTV is only good for paying the DirecTV bill,
> not for paying off your credit card. If you stop subscribing to DirecTV,
> the credit goes away.

What if you charge the DirecTV bill via autopay to the same credit card?
Money is money. Apply it wherever you'd like.

> Well, if you buy a TV for $1000 at Best Buy and then enter the online
> "feedback sweepstakes" and win $100, would you tell people "go to Best
> Buy and you can get this TV for $900"? It's the same thing, because
> DirecTV has refused to give some people any credit when they buy an
> HR10-250. So, the price of the unit matters.

Refusal to give the credit is a long way from winning a contest. I don't
see that as a valid comparison. If I couldn't get the credit, I'd return
the unit, and buy one that did qualify for the credit, unless it were
priced such that the credit didn't matter, and then ... it doesn't matter.

> If you count the credit DirecTV gave you, you now need to count the cost
> of programming for the 1 year commitment that you got locked into when
> you got that credit.

Not at all. You have to have the service. A one year commitment means
nothing to me.

> This is true because an HR10-250 doesn't carry any programming commitment
> by itself because there is no subsidy on the price by DirecTV (like other
> receivers have).

Until you take the credit. Now you do have a subsidy.

> So, by getting a $150 credit, you also agreed to a $175 penalty if you
> cancel DirecTV within a year, plus you agreed to pony up at least
> $40/month for the next year.

Where do you get those numbers? If there is a $150 credit, there's a $175
penalty? Point me to a page for that one, and if it even exists, it will
also have a statement about the cancellation fee being pro-rated. In the
case of the free equipment, even the pro-rated fee is waived if you return
the equipment.

You commit to pay at least $26.95 per month, and you need the service anyway.

--
---
February 17, 2005 12:40:26 PM

Sean wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:15:01 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lowest I've found is $799.99 for the HD DirecTiVo
> >
> >============
>

> Lowest I found was $0 for an HD Cable DVR.

How well does that HD Cable DVR work with my DirecTV installation?

I'd love to pay $0 for a HD box that worked with my DirecTV line.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:43:11 PM

Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
> (dold@XReXXJaSon.usenet.us.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> What if you charge the DirecTV bill via autopay to the same credit card?
>> Money is money. Apply it wherever you'd like.

> Because it's not "money". It's a credit to your DirecTV account against
> future charges. You can't turn it into money.

Smells like money to me. Okay, I'll give you that point.

>> Not at all. You have to have the service. A one year commitment means
>> nothing to me.

> That's really not important what you think about it. You still have paid
> for the credit by being forced to keep DirecTV for a year.

Since I have freely elected to keep DirecTV for over ten years, the idea of
a one year commitment in exchange for $150 that looks like money when it's
still in my checking account instead of paying that bill, looks like money,
and not a forced commitment.

> Still, you don't need DirecTV for the HR10-250, although you do need to be
> subscribed if you want the TiVo features. Otherwise, it is still a two-
> tuner OTA HDTV receiver with a 30-minute buffer on each tuner.

I would think that would make it expensive in relation to ... oh, that's
right, no SA HD Tivo. Hmmm. Okay. That doesn't look like a Tivo to me.

>> Where do you get those numbers? If there is a $150 credit, there's a $175
>> penalty?

> That seems to be the standard penalty DirecTV has for quitting before the
> commitment is up. It's perfectly legal, because you agreed to it in the
> contract you signed. The penalty could be $10,000 and you'd have to pay
> if you quit early, because you agreed to it.

Find one DirectTV cancellation that is different from $150 on their web
page. Your claim of $175 is nowhere to be found.

>> Point me to a page for that one, and if it even exists, it will
>> also have a statement about the cancellation fee being pro-rated. In the
>> case of the free equipment, even the pro-rated fee is waived if you return
>> the equipment.

> Where did you get these ideas? If you quit a cell phone company before
> the commitment is up, you pay the same fee no matter when you quit after
> the "grace period", and it doesn't matter if you "return the equipment".

Where did I get the idea? Do a search at DirecTV.com for "150". It will
return many pages that explain it. It doesn't matter what cell phone
companies do. We're talking about DirecTV.

>> You commit to pay at least $26.95 per month, and you need the service

> No, actually, you commit to pay at least $36.99/month, since all
> commitments require a minimum of "Total Choice".

No, the minimum commitment is "Para Los Todos" for the one year commitment.

Since you seem to be a bit unfamiliar with the actual text of any of the
DirecTV commitments, let me quote one of the DirecTV pages:
"commit to and pay for 12 consecutive months of any DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE
programming package ($36.99/mo. or above) or DIRECTV PARA TODOS programming
package ($26.99/mo. or above) "
"IF YOU FAIL TO MAINTAIN AND PAY FOR AN ANNUAL PROGRAMMING COMMITMENT,
DIRECTV MAY CHARGE A PRORATED FEE OF UP TO $150. IN LIEU OF PAYMENT, YOU
HAVE AN OPTION TO SEND YOUR DIRECTV SYSTEM EQUIPMENT TO DIRECTV. "

Back to the original question. Did the HD-DTivo cost $849 or $699?
When I quote a rebate price, I always make note of it. Some folks hate
rebates. Some folks apparently hate service credits. Here's a snippet
from a recent post of mine:
> Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $74.99 - $25 = 49.99
Did that cost $75, or $50? In face to face conversation, I might say $50.

I guess we won't know what Jason paid.

--
---
February 17, 2005 4:15:01 PM

In article <cv200f$ese$2@blue.rahul.net>, dold@XReXXJaSon.usenet.us.com
wrote:

> Back to the original question. Did the HD-DTivo cost $849 or $699?
> When I quote a rebate price, I always make note of it. Some folks hate
> rebates. Some folks apparently hate service credits. Here's a snippet
> from a recent post of mine:
> > Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $74.99 - $25 = 49.99
> Did that cost $75, or $50? In face to face conversation, I might say $50.
>
> I guess we won't know what Jason paid.

We certainly don't know based on Jason's statements. We do know from
checking eBay that he most likely paid $819.99 + shipping.

First he insisted he paid $700, then he said he paid $700 something,
then I proved the dealer he bought from was selling them for $819.99 +
shipping at the time he said he bought it (based on eBay feedback of
sales made by that Dealer who didn't auction those units, but sold them
for the flat price). Now Jason says the price doesn't matter and
childishly curses at those who call him to task for mistating the price
he likely paid, since Jason refuses to provide an ebay link to his
purchase. Why are we making excuses for him? All Jason has to do is
"SHOW US THE LINK" to prove what he paid. He never said he got a credit
or rebate, but one could buy a "returned" or a "refurb" to get a lower
price, but Jason has never said he did so.

I followed up because if any authorized dealer was selling New in the
Box HR10-250 for $700 or less, I might buy one now, as after

- $200 credit from DirecTv
- $250 I might sell my HDVR2 240 hour unit for on eBay
- $250 I can buy a HDTV tuner for on eBay

It adds up to the cost of $700 for an HR10-250

Lowest I've found is $799.99 for the HD DirecTiVo

============
February 17, 2005 4:15:02 PM

wrote:

>In article <cv200f$ese$2@blue.rahul.net>, dold@XReXXJaSon.usenet.us.com
>wrote:
>
>> Back to the original question. Did the HD-DTivo cost $849 or $699?
>> When I quote a rebate price, I always make note of it. Some folks hate
>> rebates. Some folks apparently hate service credits. Here's a snippet
>> from a recent post of mine:
>> > Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $74.99 - $25 = 49.99
>> Did that cost $75, or $50? In face to face conversation, I might say $50.
>>
>> I guess we won't know what Jason paid.
>
>We certainly don't know based on Jason's statements. We do know from
>checking eBay that he most likely paid $819.99 + shipping.
>
>First he insisted he paid $700, then he said he paid $700 something,
>then I proved the dealer he bought from was selling them for $819.99 +
>shipping at the time he said he bought it (based on eBay feedback of
>sales made by that Dealer who didn't auction those units, but sold them
>for the flat price). Now Jason says the price doesn't matter and
>childishly curses at those who call him to task for mistating the price
>he likely paid, since Jason refuses to provide an ebay link to his
>purchase. Why are we making excuses for him? All Jason has to do is
>"SHOW US THE LINK" to prove what he paid. He never said he got a credit
>or rebate, but one could buy a "returned" or a "refurb" to get a lower
>price, but Jason has never said he did so.
>
>I followed up because if any authorized dealer was selling New in the
>Box HR10-250 for $700 or less, I might buy one now, as after
>
> - $200 credit from DirecTv
> - $250 I might sell my HDVR2 240 hour unit for on eBay
> - $250 I can buy a HDTV tuner for on eBay
>
>It adds up to the cost of $700 for an HR10-250
>
>Lowest I've found is $799.99 for the HD DirecTiVo
>
>============

Lowest I found was $0 for an HD Cable DVR.

Sean
February 17, 2005 11:01:51 PM

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > Well, if you buy a TV for $1000 at Best Buy and then enter the online
>> > "feedback sweepstakes" and win $100, would you tell people "go to Best
>> > Buy and you can get this TV for $900"? It's the same thing, because
>> > DirecTV has refused to give some people any credit when they buy an
>> > HR10-250. So, the price of the unit matters.
>>
>> No, cause a sweepstakes is not garunteed cash in pocket.
>
> Exactly my point. The DirecTV credit is not guaranteed.

I had no reason to doubt them, and I did get my credit. DirecTV made a
committment and kept it.

And the fact that I got it, does effect what my net cost was.

>> Who did they "refuse" to give a credit to? Any links to that?
>
> Yeah, read the HD TiVo forum at TiVo Community. Several people were
> turned down for credits. Some eventually got them by playing CSR
> roulette, but many "regular" people don't know to do that.

What other circumstances that weren't posted were there?

> Of course, most people don't know about the credit being available at
> all.
>
>> Like I said, this is all a game of semantics. My HD DirecTiVo only cost
>> me
>> $719. Call it Enron economics if you wish.
>
> It is. Some people claim by using the same methods that their HR10-250
> cost them only $200:
>
> $850 including shipping
> -$250 DirecTV credit
> -$250 for the non-DVR HD receiver sold on eBay
> -$150 for the 105 hour SD DirecTiVo sold on eBay
> =====
> $200 net cost
>
> Since the all these "credits" aren't guaranteed at all, the actual cost
> was $850. This is still a great price for the functionality you get.

No, their gross cost was $850. Net is after all applicable deductions.
That's the difference between net and gross.

The net cost is what it ended up costing them when all was said and done.
You are hung up on "gross cost". You don't pay tax on your gross income, do
you? I know I don't. I pay on my (in tax speak) "adjusted gross income"
which is the same as "net income". My net cost on my TiVo was $719. I'm
not counting the free 6 months of HD-Pack as I didn't subscribe to it before
getting the HD unit, nor do I count the free 6 months of HBO for the same
reason.

Bottom line, my bank account was only $719 lighter. Why does it matter how?
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:31:49 PM

In article <1108662026.887649.238610@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:

> Sean wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:15:01 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Lowest I've found is $799.99 for the HD DirecTiVo
> > >
> > >============
> >

> > Lowest I found was $0 for an HD Cable DVR.
>
> How well does that HD Cable DVR work with my DirecTV installation?
>
> I'd love to pay $0 for a HD box that worked with my DirecTV line.

Sean also pays $10/month for his Cable Box, $20 a month extra for
service over DirecTv, and suffers with a Scientific Atlanta unit that
resets to the start of anything he's watching when he doesn't want it to.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:50:07 AM

Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> The net cost is what it ended up costing them when all was said and done.
> You are hung up on "gross cost". You don't pay tax on your gross income, do
> you? I know I don't. I pay on my (in tax speak) "adjusted gross income"
> which is the same as "net income". My net cost on my TiVo was $719. I'm
> not counting the free 6 months of HD-Pack as I didn't subscribe to it before
> getting the HD unit, nor do I count the free 6 months of HBO for the same
> reason.
>
> Bottom line, my bank account was only $719 lighter. Why does it matter how?

Because selling your RV that had a DirecTV receiver in it because you are
going to settle down at your house and watch HDTV and then using the
$50,000 say you got an HR10-250 for -$49,281 is kind of silly, isn't it?

That's the difference between "actual cost" and "net cost" in this case.
People are subtracting anything remotely related to DirecTV and HD in order
to show how little they "paid".

Since a lot of other people don't get to do these same subtractions, claiming
you "paid $719" for an item that you actually paid quite a bit more for
is misleading. Likewise, claiming that it "cost $719" is also misleading.

It really doesn't seem so hard to say "I paid $850 and DirecTV gave me a
$150 credit", yet everybody wants to say "I paid $700" for some bizarre
reason.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/AmericaOnline...
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:40:50 AM

Jeff Rife wrote:
> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>>The net cost is what it ended up costing them when all was said and done.
>>You are hung up on "gross cost". You don't pay tax on your gross income, do
>>you? I know I don't. I pay on my (in tax speak) "adjusted gross income"
>>which is the same as "net income".

Sorry, I'd have to disagree here (I know that this is from the previous
post). By your definition "net income" would be the amount your savings
increased that year, i.e. Gross income - all expenses. You *definitely*
don't get away with paying income tax on that amount.

>>My net cost on my TiVo was $719. I'm
>>not counting the free 6 months of HD-Pack as I didn't subscribe to it before
>>getting the HD unit, nor do I count the free 6 months of HBO for the same
>>reason.
>>
>>Bottom line, my bank account was only $719 lighter. Why does it matter how?
>
> Because selling your RV that had a DirecTV receiver in it because you are
> going to settle down at your house and watch HDTV and then using the
> $50,000 say you got an HR10-250 for -$49,281 is kind of silly, isn't it?

That's also a silly example. The RV and the receiver have very little
connection, and you did not make the $50,000 solely because of the receiver.

> That's the difference between "actual cost" and "net cost" in this case.
> People are subtracting anything remotely related to DirecTV and HD in order
> to show how little they "paid".
>
> Since a lot of other people don't get to do these same subtractions, claiming
> you "paid $719" for an item that you actually paid quite a bit more for
> is misleading. Likewise, claiming that it "cost $719" is also misleading.
>
> It really doesn't seem so hard to say "I paid $850 and DirecTV gave me a
> $150 credit", yet everybody wants to say "I paid $700" for some bizarre
> reason.

It's the same reason items are advertised for sale at $99 when they're
really selling for $199 w/ a $100 rebate. Are you really going to give
JaSon a hard time for doing *exactly* the same thing as that. In fact
I'd say that Jason is far more justified, since the Directv credit is
applied relatively quickly (as opposed to an *advertised* 6-8 weeks, and
as long as 3-4 months), and is relatively easy to get (as opposed to
following obscure instructions, cutting bits of paper out, copying them,
and sending them away with a prayer where they may get denied even if
you've done everything correctly).

There is a line where rolling a discount into the purchase price of an
item makes no sense. But in this case Jason's credit should count because:

- It was received *solely* due to the purchase of the item
- It required him to spend little to no additional money (since he was
keeping Directv service anyway, plus it wouldn't have made any sense for
him to buy it if he wasn't planning on keeping it, because it only WORKS
with their service).
- It was received in a timely manner
- It resulted into an increase in the amount of his available cash (as
opposed to a discount in the form of goods)

Randy S.
February 18, 2005 11:24:46 PM

> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> The net cost is what it ended up costing them when all was said and done.
>> You are hung up on "gross cost". You don't pay tax on your gross income,
>> do
>> you? I know I don't. I pay on my (in tax speak) "adjusted gross income"
>> which is the same as "net income". My net cost on my TiVo was $719. I'm
>> not counting the free 6 months of HD-Pack as I didn't subscribe to it
>> before
>> getting the HD unit, nor do I count the free 6 months of HBO for the same
>> reason.
>>
>> Bottom line, my bank account was only $719 lighter. Why does it matter
>> how?
>
> Because selling your RV that had a DirecTV receiver in it because you are
> going to settle down at your house and watch HDTV and then using the
> $50,000 say you got an HR10-250 for -$49,281 is kind of silly, isn't it?

Yeah, cause I would be out an RV. I didn't give up any property I owned.

> That's the difference between "actual cost" and "net cost" in this case.
> People are subtracting anything remotely related to DirecTV and HD in
> order
> to show how little they "paid".

Well, I'm not subtracting "anything", only my credit that translated
directly into $ but coming off a bill I had due. I'm not subtracting my
free HBO and free HD-pack for 6 months value as I wasn't paying those things
before getting the HD unit.

> Since a lot of other people don't get to do these same subtractions,
> claiming
> you "paid $719" for an item that you actually paid quite a bit more for
> is misleading. Likewise, claiming that it "cost $719" is also misleading.

No, they can't claim it only cost "them" $719 if they don't get the same
subtractions. Life isn't fair, we all don't get things for the same amount.
What the product costs everyone else is irrlevant to me. What it cost me is
relevant to me.

> It really doesn't seem so hard to say "I paid $850 and DirecTV gave me a
> $150 credit", yet everybody wants to say "I paid $700" for some bizarre
> reason.

Cause people don't talk that way in real life. I don't say I bought my wife
a minivan for $35,000 and then the dealer gave me $2500 in manufacturers
incentives and $2000 off for my GM Card spending. I say I got the minvan
for 30,500.
February 19, 2005 4:33:05 AM

"Randy S." <rswittNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Rife wrote:
>> Seth (seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>>>The net cost is what it ended up costing them when all was said and done.
>>>You are hung up on "gross cost". You don't pay tax on your gross income,
>>>do you? I know I don't. I pay on my (in tax speak) "adjusted gross
>>>income" which is the same as "net income".
>
> Sorry, I'd have to disagree here (I know that this is from the previous
> post). By your definition "net income" would be the amount your savings
> increased that year, i.e. Gross income - all expenses. You *definitely*
> don't get away with paying income tax on that amount.

Not really. I get to deduct and pay taxes on what the IRS has deemed
acceptable deductions. I do get to deduct some things, and not others to
come up with my adjusted income (that which I pay taxes on).

Same as in the example of what my HD-PVR cost me. Only here, it's not the
IRS determining what the unit cost me, but me. And when it comes to
deciding what to buy or not to buy, the only opinion of what something costs
me in the end that matters is mine. And based on what I feel my actual cost
of said product is, and comparing that to what it's perceived value is, is
how I decide to buy something or not.

>>>My net cost on my TiVo was $719. I'm not counting the free 6 months of
>>>HD-Pack as I didn't subscribe to it before getting the HD unit, nor do I
>>>count the free 6 months of HBO for the same reason.
>>>
>>>Bottom line, my bank account was only $719 lighter. Why does it matter
>>>how?
>>
>> Because selling your RV that had a DirecTV receiver in it because you are
>> going to settle down at your house and watch HDTV and then using the
>> $50,000 say you got an HR10-250 for -$49,281 is kind of silly, isn't it?
>
> That's also a silly example. The RV and the receiver have very little
> connection, and you did not make the $50,000 solely because of the
> receiver.
>

>> That's the difference between "actual cost" and "net cost" in this case.
>> People are subtracting anything remotely related to DirecTV and HD in
>> order
>> to show how little they "paid".
>>
>> Since a lot of other people don't get to do these same subtractions,
>> claiming
>> you "paid $719" for an item that you actually paid quite a bit more for
>> is misleading. Likewise, claiming that it "cost $719" is also
>> misleading.
>>
>> It really doesn't seem so hard to say "I paid $850 and DirecTV gave me a
>> $150 credit", yet everybody wants to say "I paid $700" for some bizarre
>> reason.
>
> It's the same reason items are advertised for sale at $99 when they're
> really selling for $199 w/ a $100 rebate. Are you really going to give
> JaSon a hard time for doing *exactly* the same thing as that. In fact I'd
> say that Jason is far more justified, since the Directv credit is applied
> relatively quickly (as opposed to an *advertised* 6-8 weeks, and as long
> as 3-4 months), and is relatively easy to get (as opposed to following
> obscure instructions, cutting bits of paper out, copying them, and sending
> them away with a prayer where they may get denied even if you've done
> everything correctly).
>
> There is a line where rolling a discount into the purchase price of an
> item makes no sense. But in this case Jason's credit should count
> because:
>
> - It was received *solely* due to the purchase of the item
> - It required him to spend little to no additional money (since he was
> keeping Directv service anyway, plus it wouldn't have made any sense for
> him to buy it if he wasn't planning on keeping it, because it only WORKS
> with their service).
> - It was received in a timely manner
> - It resulted into an increase in the amount of his available cash (as
> opposed to a discount in the form of goods)

Well I don't know if your summary above applies to Jason or not, but it is
the bulk of what I've been saying.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:56:35 AM

> Well I don't know if your summary above applies to Jason or not, but it is
> the bulk of what I've been saying.

I think it does, and I was mostly agreeing with your. I still think the
IRS is a poor example, because AGI is a complicated sum, involving some
expenses that are allowed to be deducted, and lots that aren't. But
overall I agree.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:47:14 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:00:26 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:

>I got mine for $700.

I got mine for $500

>JaSoN
>
>"Sean" <none> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:10:10 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Someone needs to do a side-by-side comparison of the HD DirecTV TiVo and
>>>the
>>>Comcast DVR for Sean. Unless you are a complete retard, you will be able
>>>see that TiVo has it all over Comcast.
>>>
>>>JaSoN
>>>

>> Unless you are a top posting complete retard you'd be able to see that
>> I've never compared the Comcast or any other cable DVR to the soon to
>> be obsolete, $1000 Directv HD Tivo.
>>
>> Cable, dillweed. Cable.
>>
>> Sean
>>

>>>"Sean" <none> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:03:04 PM

In article <k9el11lhe1ln7eqh40vl3714sfl3d6688r@4ax.com>,
kryppy <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:00:26 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>
> >I got mine for $700.
>

> I got mine for $500

It turns out JaSon was exagerating, now its your turn to explain how you
got such a good price on an HR10-250.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:12:56 AM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:03:04 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <k9el11lhe1ln7eqh40vl3714sfl3d6688r@4ax.com>,
> kryppy <kryppy@gmail.cc> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:00:26 -0500, "JaSoN" <jason@jason.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I got mine for $700.
>>

>> I got mine for $500
>
>It turns out JaSon was exagerating, now its your turn to explain how you
>got such a good price on an HR10-250.

It was stolen.
February 28, 2005 6:11:49 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:31:49 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <1108662026.887649.238610@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>> Sean wrote:

>> > Lowest I found was $0 for an HD Cable DVR.
>>
>> How well does that HD Cable DVR work with my DirecTV installation?
>>
>> I'd love to pay $0 for a HD box that worked with my DirecTV line.
>
>Sean also pays $10/month for his Cable Box, $20 a month extra for
>service over DirecTv, and suffers with a Scientific Atlanta unit that
>resets to the start of anything he's watching when he doesn't want it to.

Wrong dillweed.

Sean
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:47:45 AM

In article <qnu621t8p1oojbahmtgo4ed8j4r8m5v877@4ax.com>,
Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:31:49 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <1108662026.887649.238610@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> > in2sheep@yahoo.com wrote:

> >> How well does that HD Cable DVR work with my DirecTV installation?
> >>
> >> I'd love to pay $0 for a HD box that worked with my DirecTV line.
> >
> >Sean also pays $10/month for his Cable Box, $20 a month extra for
> >service over DirecTv, and suffers with a Scientific Atlanta unit that
> >resets to the start of anything he's watching when he doesn't want it to.
>

> Wrong dillweed.
>
> Sean

I found a new one on eBay for $700 + $10 shipping. I expect these might
be down to $500 by July, but this was close enough.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]