partition more than 2 dangerous?

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
is it true if u partitioned ur harddisk to more than 2 partition is dangerous? And also, let say I have 2 hd, one is ATA 100 the other one is ATA 66. If i connect them with the same IDE cable, will the ATA 100 become ATA 66?

Thx

[] [_] [--

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
don't make a diffrence 2 or more.. some rumor bad performance haveing partitions...I wouldn't reccomend it .......... The Slowest Drive will set the speed So ata 66 and ata 100 on same cable Acess Will Be ATA66 both drives ..

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Actually the IDE controllers most likely support independent device timing, so in that case the information you gave was wrong. The ATA66 drive will transfer at ATA66 and the ATA100 drive will transfer at ATA100.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
then, if u have 80 GB hd what r u going to do? if u do not partition it, I think u'll have more problems compared to if u partitioned it. At least, that's what i think.

[] [_] [--

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Partitioning has a lot to do with cluster sizes and the performance of storing different file sizes. If you have an 80GB hard drive formatted for FAT32 you are going to have a large cluster sizes. For example if you used small files and didn't usually use larger file sizes then you would waste space on the drive with larger cluster sizes, because it uses the space on that cluster to store the small file and then anything left over will be wasted.

When you make multiple partitions on a larger drive it makes those partitions smaller and in turn has a smaller cluster size. That might be ideal depending on what your going to use the drive for.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
This is correct, but its still better to have each on its own channel if poosible cuz IDE only "talks" to one drive at a time....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!