Hybrid Crossfire A8-3820 with HD 7750?

trac

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Solution
Ah well for a HTPC yea I would say you would be just fine. Just ensure that you are HTPC compliant with your monitor as well as everything else and yea that's fine. It's hard to say whether or not you would be okay i would think you would be just fine even with that power supply but you are pushing the limits there. You have 65 total watts for the CPU/APU. And on AMD's website they say that in dual mode you would want a 500 watt power supply. Although something to keep in mind is that watching movies uses a lot less power then games normally. However I would try and get a higher watt power supply and avoid cutting corners on it.
I would keep in mind that with your power supply being as low as it is you are putting unnecessary stress on your components by adding a video card to your computer. Furthermore I would also say that any dedicated card would run stronger then running in hybrid for example say you purchased a 7850 1 gigabyte it would beat out a hybrid configuration with ease. So I would make the investment in a better power supply so you can put yourself in a position that will enable you to make a play at something more valuable for you.

trac

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thanks, seen quite a few posts about the disadvantage of crossfire.

From my understanding, a dedicated HD 6570 is much better than the APU, and I don't want to replace the PSU.

Kill A Watt is showing 35w@idle and 92/93w@100 load video encoding. The 6570 shouldn't be a problem, but will wait for a sale.

SX2370-UR10P
Quad CPU/APU@65w
HDD 1TB@7200rpm
6GB DDR3
Thought it was a good buy at $399 with W7, and then I saw the OUYA.

trac

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks bigshootr8, but I'm more focused on the HTPC benefits - No Hybrid + dedicated HD 6570.

HD 6450 = 160 Stream Processors and HQV benchmark of 170.

HD 6570 / 6670 = 480 Stream Processors and HQV benchmark of 201.

*From Tomshardware reviews, I'm surprised more people choose the 6450 over the 6570.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caicos-blu-ray-3d,2920-10.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-radeon-hd-6670-turks,2925-14.html

I would like to go with the 6670 GDDR5 since it's only $10 more but not sure if my system can handle it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

What do you all think? My system is currently running at 93W MAX and 35W idle according to Kill-A-Watt, should I go for the 6670?

Ah well for a HTPC yea I would say you would be just fine. Just ensure that you are HTPC compliant with your monitor as well as everything else and yea that's fine. It's hard to say whether or not you would be okay i would think you would be just fine even with that power supply but you are pushing the limits there. You have 65 total watts for the CPU/APU. And on AMD's website they say that in dual mode you would want a 500 watt power supply. Although something to keep in mind is that watching movies uses a lot less power then games normally. However I would try and get a higher watt power supply and avoid cutting corners on it.

Solution