660gtx vs 7870LE

darksbain

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
hello all!,
I have a quetion regarding SLI,I have always owned AMD cards and was wondering if u need a SLI bridge like you do a crossfire bridge ? I am going to do a dual card setup on my system and I was also wondering if anyone (I am sure they do)has an opinion on why I should go AMD 7870LE'S or go green 660GTX's.I normally would go AMD only because that is what I'm accostomed to but I have also learned the PHYSx on NVIDIA is a great selling point. Both cards are 229.00 on NEWEGG I'm just looking for an objective opinion.
Thanks for your patience
LOOKING TO IMPROVE MY KNOWLEDGE
DARKSBAIN

Solution
fyi the black is the 7870LE/XT

perfrel_1920.gif
PhysX is a bit of a gimmick in that its another way for developers to run physics on (just like normal games have on the cpu) but PhysX only works on nvidia GPU's. It depends if the game you play uses PhysX to add additional stuff to it

read through the comments here
http://techreport.com/news/24291/particle-effects-swirl-in-hawken-physx-demo

The 7870LE/XT's in terms of performance is actually a match for the 660ti and not the 660's
The 7870GHZ/normal is the match for the 660

These are the only two 7870LE/XT/MYST

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

A lot of people phrase Physx as a gimmick. I don't believe it to be its a tech built onto Nvidia chips. Just because another chip maker doesn't have it on there chip doesn't make it a gimmick. It adds elements to a game that would have been then before. And while you can run physx on a CPU in reality you are limited to the extent you can take it. For example running borderlands 2 on high physx on a 3570k and a 7970 will probably not end well frame wise where as with a 3570k and a 670 and you are flying.

And if you aren't looking towards Physx then it may be best to get the stronger performer. The value of the 7870LE/XT is around the 660Ti. And is less to my knowledge. So it just truly depends on what you play but I would say for most people I would recommend the AMD product due to value. However, if you are into the things that nvidia offers, physx, superior 3d, cuda processing then by all means a 660 will fit the bill.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

The 7870 LE IS stronger than the 660 Ti. It can reach stock 680 levels. A 660 Ti is lucky to reach a 670.

This is the breakdown:

7850< or = 660
7870 = 660 ti
7870 LE <= 7950 = 670
7970=680
7970 GHz Strongest

Quite debatable the 660Ti has been compared to the 7950 although it isn't quite as fast its in the ballpark. And so with the 7870 not as fast as the 7950 its logical to compare the two cards the ti and the 7870 LE. And with the 7970 you have the 670 and the 680 which compete against it and the 7970 ghz has no real competition other than overclocked cards in the high range that may surpass it.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

1) Physx IS a gimmick in that it adds nothing besides excessive partices that lower performance on ALL cards.
I always turn it off because it is just annoying or not worth the hit. If you don't agree, whatever but it isn't anywhere near as important as a higher resolution, textures, view distance, or FPS.

2) In all honesty TriDef kinda makes AMD have more 3D support without needing a crazy expensive 120 Hz monitor and tons extra stuff to make it work in SOME games.

3)Cuda is important for a very small amount of people so I will give you that.

Any time you add added graphic details within a game its going to lower performance. That is a given. Some people appreciate visuals as well as performance so I think its a happy medium There are games where I have physx turned on and I couldn't imagine playing the game without it. Its all about perspective and opinion really but to say it adds nothing isn't true. There are other elements besides particles. There are object reactions, there is clothing movement and reaction say you shoot something in borderlands 2 with cloth it will react to it, there are environmental effects fog, snow, things of that nature, and of course you mention particles and this is something that is strongly seen in games that have a ton of shooting planetside 2 and borderlands 2 to come mind.

2. and while I do agree that AMD is more flexible with 3D I don't think its nearly as mature of a refined tech then nvidia's offering. Where you have constant updates to 3d profiles with games.

3. Just look at it this way Nvidia has always been the feature set company. There are things AMD does well but normally when it comes to having every single feature its something they just don't excel in or haven't. So if you are just a gamer and want the fastest horse in the stead then a AMD card will fit the bill most times all dependent on your budget.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

3) Ok maybe I will give you that AMD has strength AND longevity, and Nvidia has features. But I just don't think their "Features" are worth a 15-30% performance deficit with AMD cards that cost the same.