Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to make a Backup Disc?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
February 7, 2013 4:06:20 PM

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to Windows 8. I had Windows 7 Home Premium installed but decided to upgrade Windows 8 due to the sale they had in January. My problem now is that I wish I would have just done a free new install when I bought W8 rather than just upgrading from W7. So now I want to reformat but am unsure how to do it since I don't have a virtual disc. My PC is a custom built PC. I have the ASUS motherboard disc here, as well as my Windows 7 disc. Hopefuly I am not too vague with my description. Any help, questions or concerns are welcome.

Thanks

More about : make backup disc

February 7, 2013 4:19:44 PM

Under further investigation, I have come across the new built in PC Reset settings in Windows 8. Was just wondering how good this option is? Will resetting through Windows be the same if I was to just straight reformat myself?
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 11:14:50 AM

So as far as I understand you want to make a backup of your current installation so you can reinstall W8 and afterwards get all your data back? Am I correct?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2013 12:22:44 PM

No, I have everything backed up. I just want to reformat/reset my computer back to out-of-the-box factory settings.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 1:03:00 PM

The Refresh option will reinstall Windows 8 removing all installed desktop apps while retaining the new UI based apps. If that doesn't work you can move up to Resetting the PC which reinstalls Windows 8 completely.
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 1:08:43 PM

Okay. So the Resetting feature is equivalent to if I were to take a name brand laptop, let's say Toshiba and just reset it to factory default using the backup pre-installed on the partition?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 1:11:30 PM

Hmm, yes it is just like you are starting with a blank hard drive. None of the factory installed apps would be reinstalled as far as I know since your system was originally Windows 7.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 1:37:50 PM

For future reference, Once you get the system restored - SAVE alot of grief.
USE the excelent back up that is built in to Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Windows 7, easily found, Control panel, backup, left panel create system image.
Window 8, buried this capability - Why on earth I have NO clue
See: http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/333466/create...

No need to reformat, no re-load windows, no re-install drivers and apps. Even retains activation.
Just pop in the recovry disk (you will be prompted to make once the image has been writen (for laptops place image on an external Back-up HDD). Boot to this DD, select repair, then restor from Image.
m
0
l
February 8, 2013 1:39:49 PM

I would not use any of the options like 'repair' or 'reset' offered by windows. If you want a complete reset of the operating system, removing all apps and stuff, just go for a clean install of windows. Run the setup and reformat the hdd. Like this you will have the least possible chance of running into any problems later on.
Also, it might be interesting to make a disk image after setting up windows. So you can restore your computer back original state in case something goes wrong.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 1:56:00 PM

Nils said:
I would not use any of the options like 'repair' or 'reset' offered by windows. If you want a complete reset of the operating system, removing all apps and stuff, just go for a clean install of windows. Run the setup and reformat the hdd. Like this you will have the least possible chance of running into any problems later on.
Also, it might be interesting to make a disk image after setting up windows. So you can restore your computer back original state in case something goes wrong.



Resetting the OS is the same as performing a clean install. It is just an easier way of getting to it. Refreshing the OS is a light version of a clean install but it can fix various bloat problems with Windows.

This link has instructions on how to make a custom refresh image with Windows 8.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/create-a-windows-8-backu...
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 2:21:05 PM

^ Informative link.
For creating an Image, prefer method in my link - NO dos Cmds needed.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 2:42:48 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ Informative link.
For creating an Image, prefer method in my link - NO dos Cmds needed.



Yin and Yang. Both options actually do the same thing. My link integrates with the "Refresh" option so the cmd line is only used to build the image, and update it later if needed.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 8, 2013 9:41:52 PM

JayRich said:
Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded to Windows 8. I had Windows 7 Home Premium installed but decided to upgrade Windows 8 due to the sale they had in January. My problem now is that I wish I would have just done a free new install when I bought W8 rather than just upgrading from W7. So now I want to reformat but am unsure how to do it since I don't have a virtual disc. My PC is a custom built PC. I have the ASUS motherboard disc here, as well as my Windows 7 disc. Hopefuly I am not too vague with my description. Any help, questions or concerns are welcome.

Thanks

if you have a windows 8 key you can use this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-pr...
You can make a DVD install disk, a USB install disk then boot off the media, format your drive and do a clean install. You will not have to have a older version of windows installed.
Share
February 16, 2013 2:28:49 PM

Best answer selected by JayRich.
m
0
l
!