Sign in with
Your question

Power supply with different specs, is it bad?

Last response: in Networking
March 21, 2012 1:42:47 AM

Hello,
I replaced a faulty power supply for router that had 9V 0.6A output with the one that has 5V 1.2A output. So far it works just fine.

I was wondering if it will damage the router in any way through longer usage.
Can I keep this power supply or do I have to change it with one that has the same specs as the original?

More about : power supply specs bad

March 21, 2012 3:04:48 AM

You are very lucky it even works with the lower voltage. I would get the proper power supply as soon as you can because you could be stressing components inside the router by using a lower voltage.
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:09:47 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly and it uses an external transformer, then I imagine sending twice the current can't be helping either.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 6:45:37 PM

MikeKF said:
If I'm understanding you correctly and it uses an external transformer, then I imagine sending twice the current can't be helping either.

Actually, that might be the only thing saving him! Power is calculated in watts, and watts are voltage times current. The original power adapter is supplying (9 * 0.6) 5.4 watts of power, and the other one is supplying (5 * 1.2) 6 watts.
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:03:27 PM

From what I remember the amps should only cause a concern if there is a failure in the transformer that results in more amps being drawn than normal. In this case I was daydreaming when I read about the voltage and at the same time I'm just overly cautious. My electronics studies are from the distant past, so my brain is a little fuzzy.
m
l
March 21, 2012 9:51:41 PM

Everyone, thanks for answering.

So just to conclude:
I should get new and appropriate adapter nevertheless it works (seamingly) fine? Am I right?
m
l
March 21, 2012 10:07:40 PM

tomohamdi said:
Everyone, thanks for answering.

So just to conclude:
I should get new and appropriate adapter nevertheless it works (seamingly) fine? Am I right?

Yes.
m
l
!