Sign in with
Your question

ASUS GTX 670 DirectCUII (2xSLI) Heating up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 15, 2013 8:55:32 PM

Hi,

I have the below configuration:

Intel i7 3770K 3.5 Ghz
ASUS GTX 670 Direct CUII (2 in SLI mode)
Cosmos 2 Ultra Tower

The issue I am facing is that when I try to run the Unigine Valley benchmark, temperature on both the cards start rising and keep going up. I kept it going for some time and one of the cards reached 85 degrees Celsius. I stopped the benchmark at this point as I did not see any signs of the temperature dropping.

I have tried installing extra fans, configuring the fan profile via GPU Tweak. However, I am not able to keep the temperature for the graphics card in check.

Is there anything specific I can do to keep the graphics card temps in check?
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 9:21:50 PM

You have a pretty large case normally with the larger cases they are built with water cooling in mind. How would you say your case airflow is the air coming out of the case? Have you installed aftermarket fans or just stock fans. Fans like the Notcua, Corsair, and Cougar air flow fans.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:33:36 PM

I have installed Cooler Master Silent S2 120 mm fans. In the below config:

-- 3x120mm on top - exhaust
-- 2x120mm on side panel - exhaust
-- 2x120mm against the bottom HDD cage
-- 1x120mm at mid HDD cage facing the graphics cards

Apart from the above, there is 1x200mm in the front - intake and rear 1x140mm - exhaust. I am not sure if this is a good config or not, I have done this based on what I understood from trying to search for a solution online.
m
l
Related resources
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 9:39:57 PM

I see, and have you ever took off your side panel to see if things would drop?

I can't seem to find your fans but I want to make sure they were pushing quite a bit of air. I know cooler master 200mm fans are pretty good though. I have 2 of them on my Cooler Master Sniper case.

What motherboard are you using?
m
l
a c 204 U Graphics card
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 9:40:12 PM

prime try downloading msi afterburner and set a fan profile. also check that the fans will spin up to max speed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 9:45:23 PM

You either have trapped heat inside the case or some faulty cooler. Your airflow optimization doesn't seem wrong though.

EDIT: Hold on, wasn't the DCuII cooler known to have some issues recently?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 9:47:06 PM

^That is where I was going heat trapped I don't know if you guys have seen the Cosmos 2 in person but its freaking huge
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 9:50:37 PM

I have seen the case in person and I have to agree, it's darn huge. I don't think airflow and heat is much of a problem for a case like this though.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:50:54 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I use Cooler Master Silent Fan 120 SI2.

I have not kept the panel off while running the a benchmark. I will check that. I tried opening the side panel to check the air flow inside the case. However, I felt that the space between the fan and the graphics cards was quite cold while the temps were higher around the cards. Also, I felt the case side panel with my hands, it was cold compared to the air around the cards.

The motherboard I am using is, ASUS Maximus V Extreme.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 9:52:05 PM

Well he is running a sli system and the only concern I'd have is the ability to push the air out. Sure there is a ton of space within the case but where that air goes is all dependent on how strong his fans are at pushing the air out. The cosmos case's were designed originally as a water cooling centered case.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 9:53:06 PM

As smorizio posted before, try using MSI Afterburner (or similar tools) to try and push the fan speed to maximum and see how it goes.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:54:00 PM

smorizio said:
prime try downloading msi afterburner and set a fan profile. also check that the fans will spin up to max speed.

Currently, I am setting the fan profile with ASUS GPU Tweak. I also downloaded MSI Afterburner and checked it out before I started using ASUS GPU Tweak.
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:06:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Your fans for example push out 44 CFM (thats your air flow) and the fans I use the Cougar fans I use push out (70/120 CFM) So, maybe that could be a contributor. Also it looks like my fans are quieter to :X

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=121

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know Courgar fans are better than the ones I have. Those were my first choice, but they are not available here in India.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 10:09:28 PM

Apparently, there's around 21% people on Newegg having dead cards in 6 months or less. Do what bigshootr8 said, try running the Uningine benchmark again with the side panel open. Monitor temps at and if it doesn't drop, I would think you have faulty cards...either that or the new Uningine Valley benchmarks stress card like mad.

Before that, I'd like to know whether you installed the cards with some extra slots (space) between them or are they running close without any extra slots?
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:13:37 PM

EzioAs said:
Apparently, there's around 21% people on Newegg having dead cards in 6 months or less. Do what bigshootr8 said, try running the Uningine benchmark again with the side panel open. Monitor temps at and if it doesn't drop, I would think you have faulty cards...either that or the new Uningine Valley benchmarks stress card like mad.

Before that, I'd like to know whether you installed the cards with some extra slots (space) between them or are they running close without any extra slots?

I will check that and report back. On a side note, I have already RMA'ed one of the GTX 670 as it was overheating/crashing like crazy when I tried to run Far cry 3.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 10:24:24 PM

Far Cry 3 I swear EZ have you seen as many threads on this as I have. There have been tons of people saying they have had overheating cards with that game.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 10:31:50 PM

Haven't tried FC3 yet so I wouldn't know it's issues. Maybe I'll get the game in 2-3 weeks and see for myself how stressful this game is. Heard good things about the game (gameplay, graphics) but who knows? I'm not such a big fan of FPS games. I only like BFBC2.
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:32:41 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Far Cry 3 I swear EZ have you seen as many threads on this as I have. There have been tons of people saying they have had overheating cards with that game.

I believe that is also partly because of the NVIDIA drivers. Because I noticed that with the current 310.90 drivers the GPU utilization was almost always at 99% while in the game. But with the 313.96 beta drivers I noticed that it is not stuck at 99% all the time now.
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:38:01 PM

I ran the Unigine Valley Benchmark with the case panels open and I noticed that the cards remain at 64 degrees Celsius and 74 degrees Celsius respectively. To double check, I ran the benchmark 3 times back to back. Are these good temps?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 10:40:18 PM

Those are good temps yes. That is what it should be at.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 10:41:57 PM

Yes, those temps are much more normal. Clearly your case fans doesn't push air as much as you'd hoped. Would you try installing the side fans as intake instead as exhaust and close the side panel to see how it goes?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2013 10:42:41 PM

Just a thought, set the side fans to blow inward? It seems you have too many exhaust fans.
m
l
February 15, 2013 10:44:38 PM

EzioAs said:
Yes, those temps are much more normal. Clearly your case fans doesn't push air as much as you'd hoped. Would you try installing the side fans as intake instead as exhaust and close the side panel to see how it goes?

I have tried that, at first the fans were setup as intakes but as that did not work out well, I switched them into exhausts as I thought that would help take the hot air out of the case.
m
l
February 15, 2013 11:10:10 PM

Keeping in mind the airflow problem, what kind of fans would you suggest for a case like Cosmos 2?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 15, 2013 11:43:04 PM

fans with airflow in mind. What stores are you able to purchase from in India.
m
l
February 16, 2013 9:34:44 AM

bigshootr8 said:
fans with airflow in mind. What stores are you able to purchase from in India.

Today, I looked for various brands locally, Some of the brands I found are Antec, Corsair and Cooler Master. Not sure of any other, I can look them up if you can suggest regarding the same.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 17, 2013 4:58:59 AM

Ah, if you can find some AF120's that would be the airflow fan from corsair they are pretty good if they sell them over there.
m
l
February 17, 2013 3:09:00 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Ah, if you can find some AF120's that would be the airflow fan from corsair they are pretty good if they sell them over there.

I think I will be able to find those here.

Also, do you think it would make any difference if I change the top 3x120mm exhaust fans to 1x200mm fan? And on the side panel, two of these: http://www.coolermaster.in/product.php?product_id=6019
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 17, 2013 4:02:43 PM

I'm not sure how much improvement you can expect from changing fans. Perhaps the best bet is a case that is much better designed for moving air.

m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 18, 2013 1:20:53 AM

Well my only reason for bring up fans was because a cosmos 2 is a full size atx case and maybe a little bit more then that so it needs a lot more to push air. A Corsair AF120 has the ability to push more air if you are able to get those there. A premium case sometimes needs premium parts to get the most of it. When you look at a monster case like that you think of someone who is going to put that configuration with water cooling in mind. So in order to get the air needed for a SLi setup you need something to push a ton of air out and in because my fear is the heat is just staying there and that is why the temps are where they are at. I mean look at the temps when he takes the side panel off its almost 10 degrees less.
m
l
!