GTX 570 crashes in 16x slot but not 8x.

Jt_for_life

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
For a while my gtx 570 has been crashing/freezing in the pci-e 16x slot but not the 8x. Even when I plug my display into the 8x card when running sli with the 16x card, it still crashes. When I run the 8x independently all is good, no crashes. It seems that when ever I use the 16x slot no matter independently or in sli mod, it causes a crash. I have RMAed both mobo and card, all returned good. Sometimes when it crashes, the OS brings up a driver fail issue or a "display driver has lost communication with hardware. I have email my problem to nvidia and am currently waiting a response. What do you all think?

wizardsmagic007

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

I have the same issue with a GTX 470. I thought it was not connected in the slot properly. Took it out several times and tried it in several different machines. It did the same thing in every computer. Display driver stopped responding, or crashing upon launching games. I ran it in the x8 slot for a while then tried it back in the x16 slot and it magically started working. But I tried updating the drivers and it started messing up again. I have come to believe it's a flaw with the graphics card. But if Nvidia has answered you, it'd be nice to know what they say about it....