Sign in with
Your question

SSD Help

Last response: in Windows 7
March 24, 2012 10:26:58 PM

I bought a computer from CyberPower PC awhile ago with a regular HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium. I just recently bought a SSD to use as a boot drive and to store some other programs on it. I successfully installed Windows 7 on the SSD. My problem is I want to put all of my drivers, settings, ect. onto the SSD. How would I go about doing this?

More about : ssd

a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2012 10:43:27 PM

When you installed windows 7 on the SSD, you also installed the appropriate drivers there.
I hope you set the sata mode to ahci(not ide or raid) so you could get trim functionality.

To transfer settings, boot from the old hard drive and run windows easy transfer. It will export your files and settings. When you boot using the ssd, you should be able to selectively restore the settings and whatever else you want.
m
l
March 25, 2012 1:53:46 AM

When I mean drivers, I mean like for my keyboard, mouse, graphics card, and such. And I didn't enable ahci, how would I fix it?
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2012 3:31:07 AM

I successfully switched to AHCI instead of IDE.
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:40:38 AM

plug in the externals and windows will automatically update the drivers.
m
l
March 25, 2012 3:42:16 AM

Is there a way to have it boot windows from my SSD, but just keep everything else the same? Like the desktop, and downloads. Then only put certain programs on the SSD?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2012 4:00:05 AM

linkzeppelin said:
Is there a way to have it boot windows from my SSD, but just keep everything else the same? Like the desktop, and downloads. Then only put certain programs on the SSD?

Use windows easy transfer to migrate selected settings and files. You will have to reinstall apps.
m
l
March 25, 2012 4:09:53 AM

geofelt said:
Use windows easy transfer to migrate selected settings and files. You will have to reinstall apps.

Will that keep everything the same, like the desktop, ect.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2012 4:12:26 AM

linkzeppelin said:
Will that keep everything the same, like the desktop, ect.

That is what it is designed to do. My only problem was with migrating e-mail files.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2012 4:20:56 AM

linkzeppelin said:
I bought a computer from CyberPower PC awhile ago with a regular HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium. I just recently bought a SSD to use as a boot drive and to store some other programs on it. I successfully installed Windows 7 on the SSD.

Did you ? Or did you install a 2nd copy of Windows on the SSD with the actual boot files still on the HD ? Did you disconnect the HD during the 2nd windows install ? To determine if you have in fact put bootable windows on the SSD, disconnect the data cable from the HD, If machine doesn't boot, then your boot files are still on the HD.

m
l
March 25, 2012 5:56:31 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Did you ? Or did you install a 2nd copy of Windows on the SSD with the actual boot files still on the HD ? Did you disconnect the HD during the 2nd windows install ? To determine if you have in fact put bootable windows on the SSD, disconnect the data cable from the HD, If machine doesn't boot, then your boot files are still on the HD.

Yes I unplugged the HDD during install.
m
l
!