Sign in with
Your question

My display resolution is stuck at 1280x1024, How do I fix this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2013 12:08:38 AM

I recently had to send in an RMA request to EVGA because something happened to my GTX 670, so now I'm stuck with my CPU's integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000), but I can't change my resolution to anything higher than 1280x1024.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64, I'm hooked up to a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV with a native 1920x1080 resolution via a DVI to HDMI cable.
The display looks all squished and horrible, please help. :( 
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 12:33:49 AM

HolyFlanders said:
I recently had to send in an RMA request to EVGA because something happened to my GTX 670, so now I'm stuck with my CPU's integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000), but I can't change my resolution to anything higher than 1280x1024.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium x64, I'm hooked up to a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV with a native 1920x1080 resolution via a DVI to HDMI cable.
The display looks all squished and horrible, please help. :( 

Did you install the correct video drivers for your onboard graphics?
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:37:49 AM

No, I didn't think that was necessary for onboard graphics...

I'll do a quick google search and see if I can find any.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 12:46:49 AM

I tried to install the drivers I found on Intel's website, but I get an error that says "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

What the heck? I have a core i7 2600K... I call shenanigans.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:58:28 AM

I looked through that and I can't find anything that helps me with my current problem.

I know my screen's native resolution is 1920x1080, but I can't set my resolution to that in the CP and I don't know why.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:01:34 AM

Did you install the graphics drivers for the GTX 670? Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers to find your drivers. Don't install the drivers for the Intel HD 3000 as you already have a dedicated graphics card.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:03:15 AM

I took my GTX 670 out because I need to RMA it, I'm on Intel HD 3000 graphics integrated into my 2600K.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:14:22 AM

HolyFlanders said:
I took my GTX 670 out because I need to RMA it, I'm on Intel HD 3000 graphics integrated into my 2600K.

Uhh, I don't really know why does that happen either, but I found this on Intel's website.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022544.htm

Hope it helps.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:20:43 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Would I need to uninstall my GeForce drivers, maybe?

Also, I don't see a display adapter in my device manager at all.

Here's a screencap:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/iluvmudkipz/WallPapersnS...

This worries me a tad.

Go uninstall your Geforce Dirvers. I think that's the reason why that the Intel HD graphics drivers is not allowing you to install, because it thinks that there is already a dedicated graphics card. Just go try it, you are not going to lose anything.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:21:38 AM

Doing that now, I hope this works.

Edit: nope, it didn't work.
I'm still getting that error that tells my my computer doesn't meet the miniumum requirements.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:42:36 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Doing that now, I hope this works.

Edit: nope, it didn't work.
I'm still getting that error that tells my my computer doesn't meet the miniumum requirements.

Sorry then. I don't think I have a solution to fix your problem. I am sure that other people is here to help you. Hope your GTX 670 will come soon!
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:53:36 AM

I noticed that I didn't change the primary graphics adapter in my BIOS to onboard, so I turned it on and...

...Still nothing.
Damn it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 1:55:19 AM

HolyFlanders said:
I noticed that I didn't change the primary graphics adapter in my BIOS to onboard, so I turned it on and...

...Still nothing.
Damn it.

I am not sure if there's such an option on BIOS, maybe add more memory to the intel HD graphics? I am pretty much running out of ideas.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:57:11 AM

Well there was an option for that in my UEFI. IDK, I guess I'll have to settle for squishy graphics until my new video card gets here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 2:02:43 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Well there was an option for that in my UEFI. IDK, I guess I'll have to settle for squishy graphics until my new video card gets here.

Maybe you want to contact Intel about this problem. You mentioned that you changed the primary graphics adapter in the BIOS to onboard graphics, are you save you saved it?
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:04:11 AM

Yeah, I did.

Does intel have a support number? I hate sending emails or posting a question to some support forum.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 2:12:23 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Yeah, I did.

Does intel have a support number? I hate sending emails or posting a question to some support forum.

This should help you:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone

Choose your region and it should show.
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:47:57 AM

Apparently the line is closed, and they don't operate on weekends.

Damn it, now I have to wait until Monday. :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 2:56:03 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Apparently the line is closed, and they don't operate on weekends.

Damn it, now I have to wait until Monday. :( 

How long do you have to wait for your RMA? For now, just somehow do anything you want besides no intensive graphics stuff. lol
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:21:18 AM

Well I talked to a friend of mine and he tells me that this whole ordeal is definitely a driver issue, but every time I try to uninstall my old VGA drivers to make room for the new ones, windows automatically reinstalls the drivers I'm trying to get rid of upon restarting.

How do I keep it from automatically installing those drivers so I can manually install the ones I want?

Important note: I already have windows update set to ask me before installing any updates or drivers. Every time I restart, I get a little popup in the lower right hand corner that tells me it's installing device drivers. There must be some way to keep it from doing that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 3:30:51 AM

That's very strange. First time I ever heard of this. I think you can hide certain updates from windows update. Just right-click on the update you don't want to update, then click hide. I am not sure if that helps either.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:36:15 AM

OMG I FIXED IT!

I didn't think to install the update via the update manager!
HUZZAH!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 3:40:58 AM

HolyFlanders said:
OMG I FIXED IT!

I didn't think to install the update via the update manager!
HUZZAH!

Uhh, I don't really get you. lol. Did you fix the resolution problem?
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:43:57 AM

I checked the windows update and saw that there was an intel hd 3000 drive under the optional updates, so I installed just that one and now everything is working properly.

I missed you, 1080p, don't ever leave me again.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 3:47:02 AM

HolyFlanders said:
I checked the windows update and saw that there was an intel hd 3000 drive under the optional updates, so I installed just that one and now everything is working properly.

I missed you, 1080p, don't ever leave me again.

I am glad you got your problems fixed. Sometimes updates from the windows updates work better. In the end, you fixed this problem yourself. lol
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:48:10 AM

Well, thanks for all your help anyways.

I guess the answer was inside me all along. :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 3:49:36 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Well, thanks for all your help anyways.

I guess the answer was inside me all along. :p 

Now are you going to contact Intel on Monday? XD Now you can play some minecraft on low settings... :lol: 
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:53:38 AM

Nah, I don't need to anymore now that my problem is fixed.

Now I just need to wait for my replacement card from EVGA. Unless someone wants to send me $400 so I can buy a new one right now. :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 4:05:33 AM

HolyFlanders said:
Nah, I don't need to anymore now that my problem is fixed.

Now I just need to wait for my replacement card from EVGA. Unless someone wants to send me $400 so I can buy a new one right now. :p 

That's cool. Enjoy your 1080p graphics!
m
l
!