Sign in with
Your question

Help and advice picking first graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2013 10:16:40 AM

Hoping to make an informed purchase before start of March and will SLI/Crossfire when the funds become available as at the moment playing on 1920/1080 single screen but getting a 3 monitor set-up running games such as battlefield 3 on max setting across the 3 monitors.
I have about £300-£400 for a single card and will add second once the funds become available.
Trying to pick a first graphics card for my first ever gaming rig.

PC Spec:
CPU:Intel I5-3570k
CPU Cooler: Phanteks blue CPU cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600MHz
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Power Supply
Motherboards again has me really confused also at the moment I am looking at Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Motherboard but not sure if this will be over kill or would it be a good motherboard to last 3years +?
Or would a lower Asus motherboard be just as good or maybe the AsRock motherboards?

Some of the cards I've looked into getting and only just started to look into radeon 7970 cards

GTX670

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature II 2GB
Zotac GTX 670 2GB
Asus GTX 670 2GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW + 4GB

So many to pick from got so confused. Was thinking of the EVGA FTW 4gb and then SLI these when have the funds to buy second card.

GTX680

EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB
Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 2GB

Not really looked into these as people have said might as well stick with 670 due to being 90% or the performance of 680 at only like 80% of the price or something along those lines I believe. Again same would eventually like to SLI these if I pick a GTX680.

Which is better to pick from EVGA, Zotac, Gigabyte when picking Nvidia cards?
Not sure if Radeon would be a better graphics card choice?
Maybe i should save up for a GTX690 instead of SLI 670 / 680?

I am really unsure if I'm doing something right with this build but hoping someone is willing to give me some insight and helpful advice in area's I can improve and if it will be worth waiting for the next generation of graphics cards.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice recieved.

Luke.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 10:39:34 AM

Personally, I'd get the Asus GTX670 2GB. If you're planning on SLI later, might want to wait for review on the GeForce Titan card which should be out this month and see how it performs compared to dual-GPU solutions.
!