Sign in with
Your question

3 airport extreme + 2 wireless router + 2 extender, still problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 8, 2012 6:09:39 PM

Hi experts
I have a 5 story concrete building. And on third floor I have adsl connection. So I have setup 1 AE (all 4th gen) there. Now its so difficult to get the signal on other floors. Looking for right solution, I have ended up buying 2 more AE, 2 netgear wrn2000v2 (tomatousb installed), and 2 netgear wireless extender. But still no hope with good speed connection. As I do not have much knowledge of networking having so much problem. I have access to LAN cable on each floor. Is there any way I can keep good connection on each floor provided all the equipment I have. Thank you all.
March 11, 2012 9:40:08 PM

It' hard to reply to someone that has already gone out and bought equipment.

You said you have Ethernet cable access on each floor. I'll assume each floor's cable goes to a switch downstream of a router at a central location. If you also have access to household power at the Ethernet cables on each floor, or at the switch/router then a sanitary Wifi install is possible. You may need to extend the Ethernet cables on each floor midway down a hall or room.

The suggestion:
HERE

With a 500' range in all directions, (except through concrete floors, of course) this allows one unit on each floor and if the reception through floors/ceilings is great enough, installing 1/3 the way down on one floor and then 2/3 the way down on the next floor and back to 1/3 next floor, etc.. will give greater signal density per floor. This all assumes the building is less than 1,000 Ft long and the signal can in fact penetrate the floors/ceilings.

You could buy one unit on Ebay and connect it to a laptop to test it's effective range in the building to determine it's suitability for your needs and go from there.

My 2 cents worth...

March 13, 2012 8:07:37 PM

Thanks. I don't mind spending some more and get a solid solution. I will look into unifi.
!