Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Graphics Card Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2013 12:45:42 PM

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to finding what will work with my motherboard etc, so any help would be grateful. I'm looking at a new graphics card between £50-£100 - Cheaper the better in all honesty.

I'm currently running Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.40ghz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and NVIDIA NFORCE 680i SLi motherboard.

More about : upgrade graphics card

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 1:05:41 PM

Roger_346 said:
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card, I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to finding what will work with my motherboard etc, so any help would be grateful. I'm looking at a new graphics card between £50-£100 - Cheaper the better in all honesty.

I'm currently running Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.40ghz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT and NVIDIA NFORCE 680i SLi motherboard.

I'm pretty sure that board (all NForce 600 series) are PCi-E 1.0. That means the new AMD 7000 series with PCI-E 3.0 won't work on them, see:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

Specifically:

"
We all know that the AMD Radeon HD 7000 series is extremely power efficient. Having said that it comes at a cost. This power efficiency comes due to the new electrical interface featured in PCIe v3.0 and 2.0 slots and is ABSENT in PCIe v1.1 slots. Hence they are NOT COMPATIBLE."

So before you go spending any money, you'll want either Nvidia, or last generation AMD. That may help you to narrow down your choice.

I would recommend something along the lines of a GTX 650, or GTX 650 Ti.
!