Will my GPU be ok without 1 fan blade? (AMD RADEON 6770)

MRnightmuffin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I was putting my finger near the GPU fan to feel if the airflow was working correctly, I guess I went to far and one of the blades fell out upon touching my finger. The temperature seems to be fine, it just seems to be making a slight vibrating noise now.

So, should/can I buy a new fan to replace my 6770's now one blade less fan - Also, is it ok to increase fan percentage still?

Thanks

MRnightmuffin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I was thinking about replacing the fan as I only just built this a few days ago lol, however, which fan replacement would I be looking for? Does it have to be a special one catered for the 6770?

I was thinking about getting A 7850, however moneys an issue in that case.

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
The best thing to do would infact be to buy a 7850 and maybe try to get the 6770 sold? I'm not that experienced with changing fans so I'm not quite sure but I would guess that you need a special one allthough guessing is not the proper thing to do with computers :/

MRnightmuffin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Would it really be that much off balance? It's only a tiny fan blade, is there anyway to even it out by snapping another blade off? Just a thought

MRnightmuffin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Got it for free off my step brother lol, I don't have a clue, to be honest, I don't even see him anymore. I don't even know if i'd go through the hassle of getting a replacement anyway, I would just look to save for a 7850

mojin7

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
It will definitely be off balance and definitely wear out the bearing. Just a matter of when. You could be ok for months though who knows. If you dont want to spend the bucks just keep an eye or ear on that fan. And also monitor the temp of your GPU so you don't burn it up. Or just get a new card?

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
just zip tie a 80mm fan on to the gpu. of course remove the old fan... just chop the ends of the fans, connect like colored wires of the new fan and the old connector of the gpu.

or get the arctic cooling accelero S1 plus, to replace the old heat sink...

or use it as an excuse to get a gtx 660/650ti/650...

I agree with this except the chopping of wires. Most GPUs have a simple fan header that you plug the fan into.