Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I get a new motherboard and power supply?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2013 2:10:37 PM

Getting ready to get my 2nd GTX 680 Classified on Tuesday. I was wondering if I should invest in a better motherboard or if the one I have is good for this? Also, will I have enough power for all my components? This is as gaming/video converting rig.

MoBo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: i7-3770k (4.2ghz)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX3M2A1866C9)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Classified
LCU: Corsair H80
PSU: Rosewill Bronze 1000W
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS)
Crucial M4 128GB (Origin)
Crucial M4 128GB (Steam)
WD Cav Black 500GB (Storage)
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 2:21:15 PM

Assuming the Rosewill psu is a good one, you don't have to get a new psu. 1000W can easily power 3 GTX680.

No need to change your motherboard too. Rather than seeking advice, it seems more like you're showing off your PC specs. :/  Correct me if I'm wrong.
February 16, 2013 2:48:35 PM

EzioAs said:
Assuming the Rosewill psu is a good one, you don't have to get a new psu. 1000W can easily power 3 GTX680.

No need to change your motherboard too. Rather than seeking advice, it seems more like you're showing off your PC specs. :/  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to make it clear I have been out of the PC gaming community for over 10 years. The last new game I played was the first Max Payne on PC then bought an Xbox and walked away. I am aware this is a nice system but too many times I have read people asking questions and the response is usually, "You have to post your PC specs if you want us to help you". Instead of wasting time, I figured I would add it now. Guess I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't here. I had no idea even how to build a computer until I came here in August of 2012, reading forums and watching YouTube videos.

Now, because I feel there is a lot of hardware in my system, I was worried that I wouldn't have enough power to run everything. As far as watts and voltage and that kind of thing I have no clue so that is why I asked that.

As far as the motherboard goes, I read something along the lines that my motherboard in SLI will make both the PCI slots run in 8x instead of 16x. I was wondering if I was "hurting" my rigs performance by not having the proper hardware.

I wish I wasn't made to feel like an ass for showing what's in my PC. Honestly, that is what you did. I'll be damned if I come back here to ask questions rather than made to feel like I'm trying to be "rich" or "cool". Fact of the matter is I sold my Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii plus my leather jacket and worked overtime to get this. Plus I had to beg my wife. If you're married then you know what that is like. Bottom line, it wasn't handed to me. I earned it and I LEARNED it myself. (Well, minus my references stated above).
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 2:53:00 PM

Sorry if I seemed to offend you in some way but most of the parts you have are still fairly new (Z77 motherboard, Ivy bridge CPU) so that's why I was quite surprised to see you asking whether you need to replace the motherboard. Again, I apologize.

As I've stated above, you don't need to change the power supply and motherboard. PCIe 3.0 x8 is equal to PCIe 2.0 16x which provides plenty of bandwidth for today's high end card. You should be fine.
February 16, 2013 3:06:25 PM

It's cool man. You're not the first person to make me feel like I'm asking a question just to show off. My "story" about my direction in gaming is where my ignorance comes from. (Consoles, lol) My last video card had 256MB of RAM on it and I was king of the hill in my circle, lol. So, you can see the difference in technology and why I'm still learning some of the basics like power consumption and "bottle necking". My apologies for the speech earlier but this happens almost every frickin' time I ask something.

Anyway, thank you for the reply and information. I was pretty sure I would be fine but if I spend the money and the system did not run correctly, I would be angry. I became kind of an addict since I started reading and learning all the advancements in PC gaming/technology in the past decade. It's just mind blowing!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 3:11:34 PM

You have a high end PC. I don't think you'll need to change them for quite some time (probably next 2 generations later) unless you need new features or technologies.
February 23, 2013 1:50:00 PM

Best answer selected by dark1349throne.
!