Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TiVo Series 1 to DVD

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:05:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to sink
some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).

Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for scheduling
shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?

- David

More about : tivo series dvd

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:05:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:cOydnUn2lMaIXJLfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
> and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
> RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to
> sink
> some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
>
> Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
> DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
> scheduling
> shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
>
> - David
>
>
>
All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
and then can be transferred to dvd. Go to www.tivo.com, and follow the links
for TivoToGo. You would need a usb-ethernet adapter also, to connect your
tivo to your network. Some folks also use wireless usb adapters. Only
specific adapters work with tivo, you have to check that out on the tivo
website also.

As far as transferring recordings via the analogue outputs of a Series 1,
you would need some kind of adapter for your pc, either a dedicated I/O card
or box to convert composite signals to digital, or a VIVO video card. This
is a market that is continually evolving, I can't reccommend a specific
product, maybe someone else can. There will be some loss, the amount varies
depending on both the hardware and software you use. I would be much more
inclined to use a series 2 box.

With series 2 boxes, there is a 3rd option, which is hacking your tivo. This
is not a project for the faint of heart, as there is a steep learning curve
getting started. It can be rewarding, however, as you can enhance your tivo
significantly. Dealdatabase forum is the place to go to learn about it. Be
advised that the folks there expect you to put in a fair amount of effort on
your own.

Rick
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:05:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:16:23 -0600, Rick S. wrote:

> All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,

s/have/will have

Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
that enables TivoToGo yet.

--
Lenroc
Related resources
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:04:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qEQPd.53520$B95.42229@lakeread02...
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:16:23 -0600, Rick S. wrote:
>
>> All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
>
> s/have/will have
>
> Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
> that enables TivoToGo yet.
>
> --
> Lenroc
True, but it's only a matter of time. The big question seems to be -- how
much time.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>>All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your pc,
>>
>>s/have/will have
>>
>>Not all SA Series 2 TiVos have been upgraded to the software version (7.x)
>>that enables TivoToGo yet.
>>
>>--
>>Lenroc
>
> True, but it's only a matter of time. The big question seems to be -- how
> much time.

It seems like they've been accelerating the upgrade schedule, fortunately.

Randy S.
February 14, 2005 1:03:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Rick S." <r51@mail.com> wrote in news:1yPPd.1357$gr5.911@fe07.lga:

> All Series 2 SA Tivos have the ability to download recordings to your
> pc, and then can be transferred to dvd. Go to www.tivo.com, and follow

Countdown until a few thousand people who are still waiting jump on you for
that sweeping generalization:

5...4...3...

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:35:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
info on various web sites.

2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.

#1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.

#2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
degree.

David D. wrote:
> What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
> and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out and
> RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to sink
> some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
>
> Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
> DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for scheduling
> shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
>
> - David
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:35:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jerry,

I have a 120 MB drive, anyway, that I am planning to add to my TiVo some
day when I get time to do all the Linux prep.

Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and FTP
hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
references?

How does the FTP mod compare in cost to buying a low-end series 2, since
I am planning to upgrade the hard drive, anyway?

- David

"Jerry Albro" <jerry@albro.org> wrote in message
news:eDQPd.28729$s16.19219@trndny02...
> 1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
> server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
> TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
> it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
> info on various web sites.
>
> 2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
> allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.
>
> #1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
> inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
> programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
> the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.
>
> #2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
> then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
> degree.
>
> David D. wrote:
> > What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
> > and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out
and
> > RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to
sink
> > some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
> >
> > Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
> > DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
scheduling
> > shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
> >
> > - David
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:35:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ndWdnUL_875tlY3fRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> Jerry,
>
> I have a 120 MB drive, anyway, that I am planning to add to my TiVo
> some
> day when I get time to do all the Linux prep.
>
> Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and
> FTP
> hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> references?
>
> How does the FTP mod compare in cost to buying a low-end series 2,
> since
> I am planning to upgrade the hard drive, anyway?
>
> - David
>
> "Jerry Albro" <jerry@albro.org> wrote in message
> news:eDQPd.28729$s16.19219@trndny02...
>> 1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
>> server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
>> TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
>> it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
>> info on various web sites.
>>
>> 2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
>> allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.
>>
>> #1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
>> inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
>> programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
>> the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.
>>
>> #2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
>> then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
>> degree.
>>
>> David D. wrote:
>> > What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
>> > and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out
> and
>> > RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to
> sink
>> > some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
>> >
>> > Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
>> > DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
> scheduling
>> > shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
>> >
>> > - David
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
Adding a new hard drive is a relatively simple project, do a search for
Hinsdale and tivo. The Hinsdale Guide explains in very good detail how to
upgrade your hard drive setup.
Hacking your tivo to add ftp and telnet is another story, and can be a major
project, depending on what model you have. The newer tdc540xxx units need to
have the prom reprogrammed to be hacked, not a simple undertaking. I have a
tcd 240xxx and it is not all that difficult to hack, but requires a fair
amount of research to get started on. Go to
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/ , but be prepared to do some work before
you get started. The regulars will be helpful there, but only if you ask
questions which show that you have done some prep work on your own.

Rick
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ndWdnUL_875tlY3fRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> Jerry,
>
> I have a 120 MB drive, anyway, that I am planning to add to my TiVo
some
> day when I get time to do all the Linux prep.
>
> Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and
FTP
> hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> references?
>
> How does the FTP mod compare in cost to buying a low-end series 2,
since
> I am planning to upgrade the hard drive, anyway?
>
> - David

Hacking a series 1 is quite easy. You'll need to add a ethernet port ($69
from weakknees.com). There are a couple of hacks to the Tivo operating
system that are easily done following the (I think) Hinsdale directions
(though it may have been another site -- do a google search on "hack tivo").
Once the hacks are in place, you can access your Tivo using TyTools, extract
recordings to your computer, edit out the commercials, convert them to mpeg
and format for DVD all within the Ty Tools program.

It's very easy, and the only cost is the ethernet port.


>
> "Jerry Albro" <jerry@albro.org> wrote in message
> news:eDQPd.28729$s16.19219@trndny02...
> > 1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
> > server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
> > TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
> > it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
> > info on various web sites.
> >
> > 2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
> > allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.
> >
> > #1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
> > inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
> > programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
> > the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.
> >
> > #2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
> > then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
> > degree.
> >
> > David D. wrote:
> > > What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my
computer
> > > and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out
> and
> > > RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing
to
> sink
> > > some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
> > >
> > > Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with
built-in
> > > DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
> scheduling
> > > shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
> > >
> > > - David
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:03:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I see Rick and another person followed up with some very good info.
Hinsdale is definitely the first howto to read. Hacking the series 1 is
not that hard if you are comfortable doing those things, and interested
in such.

Also, the series 1 will never have the Home Media options, which may be
an issue for you, or not. Also, you will be adding a turbonet board
yourself (http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm) and may need to run cat5
wire to the tivo. The board is about $70, add some for a wireless
adapter if you want that instead of hardwiring it. That's the only cash
expense really, the rest is your time to do it.

Take a look at this, too: http://www.9thtee.com/tivo-sa1.htm#PTVupgrade

- Jerry


David D. wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> I have a 120 MB drive, anyway, that I am planning to add to my TiVo some
> day when I get time to do all the Linux prep.
>
> Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and FTP
> hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> references?
>
> How does the FTP mod compare in cost to buying a low-end series 2, since
> I am planning to upgrade the hard drive, anyway?
>
> - David
>
> "Jerry Albro" <jerry@albro.org> wrote in message
> news:eDQPd.28729$s16.19219@trndny02...
>
>>1. Get a TivoNet board, hack your TiVo to install TivoWeb and MSFTP
>>server. You can then download the files from the TiVo, use some of the
>>TyStudio tools to convert to plain old MPEG-2 files. This is how I do
>>it, I can fill in details later if you like, or provide references to
>>info on various web sites.
>>
>>2. Send the TiVo video out to a PC TV board (or USB adapter) that will
>>allow you to record from the TiVo or off the air to the PC.
>>
>>#1 requires you be comfortable opening the Tivo, putting the drive
>>inside you pc, editing & copying files, knowing a bit about FTP
>>programs. But I find it fun and rewarding to hack at it. You also get
>>the raw mpeg data right from the TiVo, not converted.
>>
>>#2 is quite easy technically. You will be using the TiVo analog out and
>>then reconverting to digital, so it is subject to quality loss to some
>>degree.
>>
>>David D. wrote:
>>
>>>What is the least lossy way for me to dump TiVo programs to my computer
>>>and/or DVD-R? TiVo Series 1 appears to only have composite/audio out
>
> and
>
>>>RF out. What hardware and software do you recommend? I am willing to
>
> sink
>
>>>some money into but not a limitless amount ($0 - $100 or so).
>>>
>>>Do any of the newer TiVos (not counting the expensive one with built-in
>>>DVD-R) have a computer interface for dumping shows (not just for
>
> scheduling
>
>>>shows)? Are there any mods available to add a computer interface?
>>>
>>> - David
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Since a brand new TiVo Series 2 is $100 after rebate, that seems like the
way to go.

It will have ethernet built in, with TiVo to Go, and I can do the Hinsdale
HD upgrades at leisure without impacting my current use of TiVo. (I already
have the hard drives).

I can probably even recover a few buck by selling my old Series 1, once the
new one is upgraded and up and running.

- David
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:17:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

David D. wrote:
> Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and FTP
> hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> references?

Hacking TiVo book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764543369/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:25:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <mqOdnRIpzIFbQYjfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:

> David D. wrote:
> > Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet and FTP
> > hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> > references?
>
> Hacking TiVo book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764543369/

All rewrites of what's on the web for Free:

http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoHackingLinks
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:25:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback.

After thinking about all of the options you have provided, I have
actually come up with an alternate plan of attack for my TiVo.

With the current $100 rebate offer, I can get a low-end Series 2 cheap,
use the Hinsdale Guide to upgrade the hard drives (I have several large
drives laying around), and start using TiVo-to-Go to copy the shows to my
computer. Using this approach, I can continue to use my old Series 1,
while I ugrade the new Series 2 box without any time pressure.

- David


"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:jzwick3-9236DE.06252018022005@news1.east.earthlink.net...
> In article <mqOdnRIpzIFbQYjfRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>
> > David D. wrote:
> > > Perhaps it wouldn't be much additional work to add the etherrnet
and FTP
> > > hardware and software at the same time. Can you point me to some
> > > references?
> >
> > Hacking TiVo book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764543369/
>
> All rewrites of what's on the web for Free:
>
> http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoHackingLinks
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:15:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <iu-dnb1bUZUNYIjfRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
"David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thank you everyone for all the great feedback.
>
> After thinking about all of the options you have provided, I have
> actually come up with an alternate plan of attack for my TiVo.
>
> With the current $100 rebate offer, I can get a low-end Series 2 cheap,
> use the Hinsdale Guide to upgrade the hard drives (I have several large
> drives laying around), and start using TiVo-to-Go to copy the shows to my
> computer. Using this approach, I can continue to use my old Series 1,
> while I ugrade the new Series 2 box without any time pressure.
>
> - David

All you'd need is a bracket and fan for the 2nd Hard Drive.

www.weaknees.com sells them.

Also has easier than hinsdale upgrade instructions:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:04:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Thanks, Jack.

- David

"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:jzwick3-34836E.09153018022005@news1.east.earthlink.net...
>
> All you'd need is a bracket and fan for the 2nd Hard Drive.
>
> www.weaknees.com sells them.
>
> Also has easier than hinsdale upgrade instructions:
>
> http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:03:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Rick S." <r51@mail.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>True, but it's only a matter of time. The big question seems to be -- how
>much time.

Oh, maybe a week.

TiVo has said all units should be upgraded by the end of the month.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
<URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-755-4098
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
!