Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone know of an inexpensive ($100 or less) for cable?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Hello,

Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV? I've
got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best Buy for
$99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.

I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : inexpensive 100 cable

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:18:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Standalone tivos are designed to work with just about any setup. The 40 hour
tivo is always $199 at Best Buy, $99 after $100 rebate. There has been much
discussion here about the rebates. My parents go theirs in about 8 weeks.
When you connect an SA tivo to your cable box, the tivo needs to tell the
cable box to change channels. It does this by means of Infrared (IR)
Blasters, which are basically small remote control units that are mounted on
your cable box, and wired to your tivo. These are a modest PITA, they need
to be configured to send the proper signal to your cable box, and
occasionally (for me rarely) fail to correctly change the channel. Once you
have it set up, you can put your cable remote away, your tivo remote will do
it all. We've been using this setup with our cable box for over a year, and
we like it just fine.

Rick

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cup1q7$dqrk$1@news3.infoave.net...
> Hello,
>
> Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV? I've
> got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best Buy for
> $99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>
> I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
> exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
>
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:43:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Rick S. wrote:
> Standalone tivos are designed to work with just about any setup. The 40 hour
> tivo is always $199 at Best Buy, $99 after $100 rebate. There has been much
> discussion here about the rebates. My parents go theirs in about 8 weeks.
> When you connect an SA tivo to your cable box, the tivo needs to tell the
> cable box to change channels. It does this by means of Infrared (IR)
> Blasters, which are basically small remote control units that are mounted on
> your cable box, and wired to your tivo. These are a modest PITA, they need
> to be configured to send the proper signal to your cable box, and
> occasionally (for me rarely) fail to correctly change the channel. Once you
> have it set up, you can put your cable remote away, your tivo remote will do
> it all. We've been using this setup with our cable box for over a year, and
> we like it just fine.
>
> Rick

Of course, you only need to use the IR blasters if you're watching
digital or scrambled Cable stations. If you're watching regular old
unscrambled analog channels, there's no need. In other words, if you
don't need a cable box, you don't need an IR blaster.

Also, some of the cable boxes can be controlled via serial cable, which
is more reliable and is also included in the box.

Randy S.
Related resources
February 14, 2005 5:33:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:cup1q7$dqrk$1@news3.infoave.net:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV?
> I've got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best
> Buy for $99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>
> I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
> exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?

http://www.tivo.com/2.1.asp

SA (StandAlone...AKA Cable) TiVos start at $99 for 40 hours (after $100
rebate).

Or you can get a factory reconditioned one. $50 gets you the 40 hour
unit, $100 gets you 80 hours. http://www.tivo.com/2.0.1.asp

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:33:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Howard" <stile99@email.com.> wrote in message
news:Xns95FCD140C3154stile@129.250.170.81...
> "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:cup1q7$dqrk$1@news3.infoave.net:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV?
>> I've got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best
>> Buy for $99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>>
>> I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
>> exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?
>
> http://www.tivo.com/2.1.asp
>
> SA (StandAlone...AKA Cable) TiVos start at $99 for 40 hours (after $100
> rebate).
>
> Or you can get a factory reconditioned one. $50 gets you the 40 hour
> unit, $100 gets you 80 hours. http://www.tivo.com/2.0.1.asp
>
> --
> Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
> stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
> I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
> no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Of course there are always good old series ones on ebay for under 100$
including shipping, no rebate. No HMO, or Tivo To Go, but you can always
hack it.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:14:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <cup1q7$dqrk$1@news3.infoave.net>,
"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV? I've
> got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best Buy for
> $99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>
> I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
> exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Regular TiVo is $99 after rebate everywhere (BestBuy, etc) in the pretty
Orange Box.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

It sounds like you want a TIVO that tunes in cable stations without
using the cable box. The best buy item you've seen CAN do this but
ONLY with unscrambled, analog channels. There is no TIVOs that will
work without a cable box./ IR blaster.
February 14, 2005 5:53:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:18:43 -0500, "Jeff Ingram"
<ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV? I've
>got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best Buy for
>$99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>
>I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
>exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff
>

Use the one the cable company provides for free.

Sean
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:53:53 -0500, Sean wrote:

> Use the one the cable company provides for free.

That would work, if by "provides for free" you mean "rents out for $10 per
month".

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:53:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Sean" <none> wrote in message
news:3e0211tccb41vlrv7jrfh247t287f2f45m@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:18:43 -0500, "Jeff Ingram"
> <ingramje29@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Anyone know of an inexpensive Tivo unit ($100 or less) for cable TV? I've
>>got a DirectTV/Tivo receiver that I purchased months ago at Best Buy for
>>$99. I've not seen one that works with regular cable tv.
>>
>>I'd like to find one for my brother who doesn't have DirectTV. Does one
>>exist that's in the same price range as the unit I purchased?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jeff
>>
>
> Use the one the cable company provides for free.
>
> Sean
>
I doubt you are being any help to the OP. Your answer has nothing to do with
his question.
February 14, 2005 6:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:13:41 -0700, Lenroc
<lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:53:53 -0500, Sean wrote:
>
>> Use the one the cable company provides for free.
>
>That would work, if by "provides for free" you mean "rents out for $10 per
>month".

No. I mean free as in free.

But now that you mention it, the $10 per month subscription fee is
less than what Tivo charges per month.

Sean
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:18:17 -0800, noresponse wrote:

> It sounds like you want a TIVO that tunes in cable stations without
> using the cable box. The best buy item you've seen CAN do this but
> ONLY with unscrambled, analog channels. There is no TIVOs that will
> work without a cable box./ IR blaster.

I don't know if you're wrong or just misstating the truth, but standalone
TiVo's can work without a cable box & IR blaster on analog systems too.

They only need the cable box for digital systems.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>
> Use the one the cable company provides for free.
>
> Sean
>
That would result in an empty spot on my shelf.
February 15, 2005 12:29:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

* Lenroc Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>> Use the one the cable company provides for free.
>
> That would work, if by "provides for free" you mean "rents out for
> $10 per month".
>

Not to mention that if you DONT have the digital package you must
upgrade which is an additional monthly charge and likely a one time
'setup' fee as well.

--
David
February 15, 2005 3:42:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

noresponse@mail.com wrote in news:1108419497.642991.303350
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> There is no TIVOs that will work without a cable box./ IR blaster.

Please don't tell my TiVo that, I don't want it to stop.

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>There is no TIVOs that will work without a cable box./ IR blaster.
>
>
> Please don't tell my TiVo that, I don't want it to stop.
>

I don't think he's trying to be misleading, I believe it's just a badly
worded sentence. How about:

There is no Tivo that will receive digital or scrambled cable channels
without a cable box/ir blaster.

Until they release a cablecard Tivo, of course! ;-)

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:30:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Yes Randy, sorry about the badly worded sentance.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:55:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message news:cuspqs$1174$3@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> >>There is no TIVOs that will work without a cable box./ IR blaster.
> >
> >
> > Please don't tell my TiVo that, I don't want it to stop.
> >
>
> I don't think he's trying to be misleading, I believe it's just a badly
> worded sentence. How about:
>
> There is no Tivo that will receive digital or scrambled cable channels
> without a cable box/ir blaster.
>

You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:55:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
>

Actually, I think it's more correct to say that Satellite shouldn't be
called Cable. That's why I specifically stated "digital or scrambled
*cable* channels".

The DirectvDVR can most definitely receive digital and scrambled
*Satellite* channels.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:55:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message news:cutltn$165c$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> > You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> > It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> > a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
> >
>
> Actually, I think it's more correct to say that Satellite shouldn't be
> called Cable. That's why I specifically stated "digital or scrambled
> *cable* channels".
>
> The DirectvDVR can most definitely receive digital and scrambled
> *Satellite* channels.
>

All DBS channels are digital channels. I don't believe DirecTV *scrambles*
any channels. I don't know anyone who refers to satellite as cable, but CNN
is typically called a cable channel.

There are two classification of channels, broadcast channels and cable channels.
Both are available from satellite companies and cable companies.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 1:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> All DBS channels are digital channels. I don't believe DirecTV *scrambles*
> any channels. I don't know anyone who refers to satellite as cable, but CNN
> is typically called a cable channel.
>
> There are two classification of channels, broadcast channels and cable channels.
> Both are available from satellite companies and cable companies.
>

Oh c'mon Jack you're quibbling over nonsense. In my original statement
I used the term "cable channels" to distinguish them from "Satellite
channels". I clearly know (and reiterated) that the Directivo can
receive all Directv channels. It's all well and good to nitpick over
the definition of "cable channel", but I meant "a channel received over
cable" as opposed to "a channel received via satellite signal". Would
this make you feel better?

"There are no Tivo-branded DVRs that will properly decode any digital or
scrambled analog video broadcasts over cable from cable video providers
without a cable-company provided digital receiver or analog descrambler
used in conjuction with an IR blaster."

Somehow I think the first statement was less confusing.

Randy S.
February 16, 2005 5:33:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote in
news:cArQd.362$OU1.267@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.

It isn't. It's a "DirecTV receiver with TiVo service" or commonly referred
to as a "DirecTiVo".

--
Minister of All Things Digital & Electronic, and Holder of Past Knowledge
stile99@email.com. Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
I speak for no one but myself, and |Caffeine will be assimilated.
no one else speaks for me. O- | Decaf is futile.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:22:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Jack Ak wrote:

> You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.

But DirecTV doesn't have any cable channels.

It has a lot of network feeds, many of the same networks that cable
TV operators subscribe to, but they are all satellite channels,
not cable channels.
-Joe
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:22:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <mqOdnQ0pzIFxQIjfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, Joe Smith
<joe@inwap.com> wrote:

> Jack Ak wrote:
>
> > You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> > It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> > a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
>
> But DirecTV doesn't have any cable channels.
>
> It has a lot of network feeds, many of the same networks that cable
> TV operators subscribe to, but they are all satellite channels,
> not cable channels.


This sort of pedancy has grown tiresome. When Jack says "cable
channels," everybody knows what he means. It's not his fault that
there's still no other common way to refer to those channels.

They're certainly not networks, which is what you said. Those channels
aren't networks. They're single-source broadcasters.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message news:mqOdnQ0pzIFxQIjfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> Jack Ak wrote:
>
> > You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> > It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> > a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
>
> But DirecTV doesn't have any cable channels.
>
> It has a lot of network feeds, many of the same networks that cable
> TV operators subscribe to, but they are all satellite channels,
> not cable channels.
> -Joe

If you want to get pedantic, all but local broadcast channels are
satellite channels. Cable company "head-ends" have satellite dish farms.
The major networks use satellites to feed programming to network affiliates.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:46:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
> It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
> a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.

Or maybe you'd get the argument "get a life"
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:33:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Dr. Personality wrote:
> In article <mqOdnQ0pzIFxQIjfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, Joe Smith
> <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Jack Ak wrote:
>>
>>
>>>You might get an argument from those who use a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.
>>>It receives all cable channels carried by DirecTV and doesn't need
>>>a cable box or IR blaster. Maybe that DVR shouldn't be called a TiVo.
>>
>>But DirecTV doesn't have any cable channels.
>>
>>It has a lot of network feeds, many of the same networks that cable
>>TV operators subscribe to, but they are all satellite channels,
>>not cable channels.
>
>
> This sort of pedancy has grown tiresome. When Jack says "cable
> channels," everybody knows what he means. It's not his fault that
> there's still no other common way to refer to those channels.
>
> They're certainly not networks, which is what you said. Those channels
> aren't networks. They're single-source broadcasters.

Since this thread seems to be revived a bit . .

I agree this pendancy is tiresome, but if anyone's to blame, it's Jack,
not Joe. I differentiated between satellite signals and cable signals
by referring to "cable channels". While that may not have been totally
technically correct, I believe the point was made. I don't think Jack
was adding anything to the conversation at that point except to pick
nits. It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd hate to see Joe blamed
for something he didn't start.

Randy S.
!