dade305

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2002
hello all,

I just got a new 60GB W/ ATA/133 PCI card.

What is the (OPTIMAL) IDE configurations for my setup?

What drive(s) go on the PCI card and what goes on the MOBO?

1. 60GB harddrive

2. 20GB harddrive

3. 24x burner

4. 56x CDROM

thanks for your time and support!
-dade305-

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
the 20GB drive go on the mobo.
the 60GB drive cant because it is too heavy & you have to put it on a pci hard disk extension card.
the 24X burner can go on your mobo.
but the 56X CDROM cant. anyway you can plug it on your pci bus with a little adaptor.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
So you have four IDE-channels - two on the mobo, and two on the additional card?

I think you can chose about whatever configuration you want. Just put every device as a mùastr on a seperate channel. If the HDD is ATA 133, and your mobo does not support that, put that one on the PCI-adapter.

No much of a problem, I think.

BTW, I don't know what the other guy is talking about ... An adapter to make the CD-Rom fit the PCI-bus? For years now, all CD-Roms just use regular IDE-interfaces (expect for the SCSI-ones, of course).

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Just my 2 cents

60gb ata133 on ata133 card with OS as Single (Fast)100/133
24x and 56x on one cable on mobo as M and S (slow)33
20gig on cable by it self Single (Med)66
** if the 20gig is ata100 then move to ata card
with 60gig **
this way will run the best.....

<font color=blue>Join THG UD TEAM WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW</font color=blue>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
If you are going to use the CD-writer to make copies "on the fly" (without the support of the HDD) you cannot use the same channel for these two CD devices.
So I suggest you to put the 20gig on the primary IDE as master, the CD-Rom in the sec IDE as master, the 60 Gig on the primary PCI/IDE/133 as master and the CD writer in the secondary PCI/IDE/133 as master. You have absolutely no poblems since you have four channel for four devices.
You will also find that between ATA133 and ATA100 there aren't big differences since the highest burst transfer rate I ever seen was of about 91 MB/s (IBM 120GXP) and the slower ATA100 interface can manage up to 100 MB/s.
It may be convenient to install the page-file and windows 2k/XP on two separate drives in order to speed the job of the disks.
Remeber also that it is possible to create a software RAID array by using win 2k or win XP (not usable for the operative system) where you can install program and page file.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*reads*
i detect people posting bunkum...

ive had no problems with my setup...
40gb ibm 60gxp primary master (ata100)
80gb maxtor d740x primary slave (ata133 @ ata100 - old mobo)
pioneer 16x dvd secondary master ata66
ricoh burner secondary slave ata.

and no problems doing an on the fly burn from dvd to cd-rw either.

the only thing im missing out on is ata133 cauz my mobo doesnt support it. but thats of minimal performance boost.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Unfortunately I didn't invented any IDE channel.
On the same channel you can only make one thread a time writing or reading. The device's buffer will then allow the writing or reading operation be delayed. Moreover if you have a "burn-safe" unit, it can also "mechanically" wait for the delay. Only using two different channels you can simultaneously read from a CD and write to a CD-R.
BTW, copying on the fly can be also avoided utilising the HDD.
Moreover the primary master should be connected at the end-plug of the flat cable while the slave should be connected at the middle plug. This can sometimes be difficult and linking to the same channel the two HDD and on the other channel the two CD-Rom may be finally a good solution.