Hit the Bandwidth wall gigabit switches

dragonbain

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hello all,

I have installed my new NAS DS2411+ and began transfering my files to the NAS and I noticed the transfers speed was only 5.6MB and my other computers could not connect to the internet. I moved the PC that was doing the tranfering directly to one of my router LAN ports and the speed recovered to 50MB and the other computers could now access the internet.

I figured I was overtaxing the gigabit switches. I have a D-Link DGS-2208 Ethernet Desktop Switch
and an other 8 port similar gigabit switch.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 16 port manage or unmanage switch that has the backplane to handle large transfers from a few computers at once that has a small price point, 300 or less I guess. If what I am asking for is not possible for the price point mentioned please leave a suggestion that is as close to it as possible.

If there is nothing like this out on the market would it be alright to just connect several 4 port routers together to meet my needs? If that is the best option then I am alright with that. I currently have a e4200, e3000, and a 655 extreme at my displosal.

Thank you for your input.