Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will a Pentium bottleneck a GTX 560 Ti ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 16, 2013 5:45:21 PM

Hey guys , I just wanted to find out whether a Intel Pentium G860 would bottleneck a MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk or not ? Or would they work well together ?
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 5:58:28 PM

It wont bottleneck QUITE as badly as I thought when I first saw the word "Pentium" but that being said, as it is a rather low end CPU it will still bottleneck quite alot. I actually thought they had discontinued the pentium line prior to sandy bridge to be honest.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 5:59:16 PM

It depends on what game you want to run. In a lot of situations you would be bottlenecked.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 5:59:55 PM

Depends on the game.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2013 6:04:11 PM

depends on the resolution of your monitor too

and the image settings you use
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:20:07 AM

I play games like BF3 , Skyrim , GTA 4 etc . I want to play at high / ultra if possible . My monitor res 1366 x 768 . I don't want it to bottleneck , I can lower the gc and up the cpu .
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 12:33:43 AM

at that resoplution you're close to overkill....ya i saw the post im like "hes asking if his p4 will bottleneck?""...lol

the g680 and 560ti are very close
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:42:37 AM

ARICH5 said:
at that resoplution you're close to overkill....ya i saw the post im like "hes asking if his p4 will bottleneck?""...lol

the g680 and 560ti are very close

Overkill meaning ?
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:42:45 AM

What if I get the i3 - 3220 ? Will it still bottleneck ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 12:45:45 AM

Muks2386 said:
Overkill meaning ?



a g680 and a 560ti can easily push a 1080p monitor/resolution....at his res hes prolly on a 17-19in monitor
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:48:01 AM

ARICH5 said:
a g680 and a 560ti can easily push a 1080p monitor/resolution....at his res hes prolly on a 17-19in monitor

18.5 inch .
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:54:04 AM

If you can get the i3 get it just don't expect to run Crysis 3 on high maybe medium even at that resolution with the base Pentium. It won't be able to push the 1's and 0's fast enough for your 560ti
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 12:54:44 AM

I would def get the i3, HT enabled makes it more worth it all-around, and it shouldn't really bottleneck your games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:00:18 AM

lol a core i3 for a 18.5in monitor?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:05:21 AM

ARICH5 said:
lol a core i3 for a 18.5in monitor?


So what? Does it affect anything? You can get an i7 with that screen size if you want.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:06:15 AM

An I3-3220 will be almost 2 times faster than the Pentium G860 if not more and isn't a big bottleneck for a single GPU (proof as my friend run an I3-3220 with a 680 and he get only 10-15fps less than me with almost the same boost clock on the GPU in every game)

Don't ask why he get a 680 with an I3, i don't know either !!!

EDIT: Test done before overclockingmy I7***
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:08:57 AM

spawnkiller said:
An I3-3220 will be almost 2 times faster than the Pentium G860 if not more and isn't a big bottleneck for a single GPU (proof as my friend run an I3-3220 with a 680 and he get only 10-15fps less than me with almost the same boost clock on the GPU in every game)

Don't ask why he get a 680 with an I3, i don't know either !!!


+1. Games now starting to take the advantage of quad-core CPUs. With Hyper-threading in i3 CPUs, it somehow acts like a 4 core CPU, even though it's really a dual-core CPU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:20:50 AM

you can never suit up x resolution to x hardware, no hardware is 'suited' to a resolution

all games behave differently, ancient games will run fine even on integrated graphics at high resolution where as a new game wont run smooth at all no matter what

a Pentium is not a high performance processor, you want to look at atleast an ~i5 level processor if your a gamer seriously
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 1:26:31 AM

Will a i3 work well with a HD 6870 ?
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 1:47:01 AM

It should work fine with a 6870.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:47:10 AM

Muks2386 said:
Will a i3 work well with a HD 6870 ?


It should work fine. I am not sure if you can still find a HD 6870 around... I recommend get a HD 7850.

EDIT: ninja'd by jase240!
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 1:48:42 AM

I'v checked . I still can get the HD 6870 for $120 . The HD 7850 is really expensive .
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:50:50 AM

Muks2386 said:
I'v checked . I still can get the HD 6870 for $120 . The HD 7850 is really expensive .


Wow. That's not bad at all for that price. New or used?
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 1:52:07 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Wow. That's not bad at all for that price. New or used?

New . Sapphire HD 6870 .
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:53:29 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
+1. Games now starting to take the advantage of quad-core CPUs. With Hyper-threading in i3 CPUs, it somehow acts like a 4 core CPU, even though it's really a dual-core CPU.



i think its subject to the final outcome specifications of the nextbox and ps4. the wiiu has 3 cores. the decision of the cores in the nextbox and ps4 will determine how many cpus will generally be the baseline optimization.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:54:44 AM

Muks2386 said:
New . Sapphire HD 6870 .


Go for it. For that price, it's not bad at all. It's still better than the HD 7770, similar to the price of $120.
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 1:57:53 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
Go for it. For that price, it's not bad at all. It's still better than the HD 7770, similar to the price of $120.

Okay then . I'll get the HD 6870 ! Thanks for the help ! (:
m
0
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:58:13 AM

I3 with hd 6870 is perfect for gaming at that resolution.
m
0
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 2:10:56 AM

spawnkiller said:
An I3-3220 will be almost 2 times faster than the Pentium G860



2 times faster no way.i agree that hyper threating have impact on gaming like bf3,farcryetc..but it is may be 15-20% faster than g860.

see here

battlefield 3

-

skyrim -




m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 6:56:45 AM

I was alking about Multithreaded applications ^^ Anyway, the point is that the I3 is seen as a quad so it performs well in BF3 without being "a dual core" that does reduce detail in BF3... (2 cores = no allies in single player)

For that price no doubt you should get the 6870 ^^
m
0
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 7:38:34 AM

spawnkiller said:
I was alking about Multithreaded applications ^^ Anyway, the point is that the I3 is seen as a quad so it performs well in BF3 without being "a dual core" that does reduce detail in BF3... (2 cores = no allies in single player)

For that price no doubt you should get the 6870 ^^

ok fine.
m
0
l
!