Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newbie... can I run a 3rd monitor with this configuration??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 16, 2013 10:14:25 PM

OK, just put together a system. Not a power system but still an upgrade from my 8 year old HP.
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Video Card = ATI Radeon HD5450

I currently have two 19 inch Dell monitors running just fine off of the video card but then remembered that the motherboard has built-in video too. I plugged an HDMI cable into the on-board video adapter and connected it to a 3rd monitor but it sees no signal. Rebooted, still nothing.

Can you run the on-board video at the same time you have a video card installed?
Even if this does work, I just want it as a temp solution until I upgrade my video card later in the year (or until a mid-range, eyefinity card goes on clearance sale) :) 

Thanks
Ken

More about : newbie run 3rd monitor configuration

February 16, 2013 10:21:37 PM

cpuken said:
OK, just put together a system. Not a power system but still an upgrade from my 8 year old HP.
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Video Card = ATI Radeon HD5450

I currently have two 19 inch Dell monitors running just fine off of the video card but then remembered that the motherboard has built-in video too. I plugged an HDMI cable into the on-board video adapter and connected it to a 3rd monitor but it sees no signal. Rebooted, still nothing.

Can you run the on-board video at the same time you have a video card installed?
Even if this does work, I just want it as a temp solution until I upgrade my video card later in the year (or until a mid-range, eyefinity card goes on clearance sale) :) 

Thanks
Ken

I would reccommend buying a new GPU, it will seriously decrease gaming performance, and it depends on whether you play max out or low too and your screen resolutions, but if you are looking for a budget, getting the asus 7870 from ncix currently on sale for 200$ or the gtx 660 is your best bet, 7850 would work too!
m
l
February 16, 2013 10:30:13 PM

I guess I should have added more info in my original post. I'm not a gamer. I do some video conversions, video editing and normal browsing and possibly set it up as a media server later.
Currently looking on eBay and if a decent card (maybe a $120-$160 retail) fall into that $60-70 range I might pick it up but not in a rush to upgrade right now.
A $200 card is out of realm of possible since I don't game.
I might have a movie going on one monitor while browsing the web on a 2nd and maybe doing some graphics stuff on the 3rd. More eye candy then real work.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 10:40:05 PM

ATI Eyefinity Technology can support up to 3 displays using a single enabled ATI Radeon™ graphics card – the number of displays may vary by board design and you should confirm exact specifications with the applicable manufacturer before purchase. ATI Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or certified DisplayPort™ adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. Digital management rights restrictions may apply.
Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.

yes, I think you can connect 3 monitors if you have 3 outputs on your videocard (vga, dvi, hdmi or displayport)
m
l
February 17, 2013 1:03:06 AM

razvan_mz said:
ATI Eyefinity Technology can support up to 3 displays using a single enabled ATI Radeon™ graphics card – the number of displays may vary by board design and you should confirm exact specifications with the applicable manufacturer before purchase. ATI Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or certified DisplayPort™ adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. Digital management rights restrictions may apply.
Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector.

yes, I think you can connect 3 monitors if you have 3 outputs on your videocard (vga, dvi, hdmi or displayport)

OK, how about my temp situation?
Can I used my current card (2 monitors) combined with my motherboard's on-board video to drive 3 monitors??
Do some mobo's allow this or No mobo's allow using on-board in combo with a video card to get 3 monitors??
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2013 1:12:16 AM

No once you plug in a discreet gpu it disables the onboard graphics card. Here is a card that will do the 3 monitors just fine for $140 (after rebate)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 17, 2013 1:26:58 PM

Best answer selected by cpuken.
m
l
!