Issues with nVidia Optimus & GT 630m

dreadmyhaft

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hey y'all, I have an Acer Aspire V3-571g-6602 with an i5-2450m, 8 gb of Corsair Vengance ram and of course, an nVidia GT630m.

One of my favorite features of this laptop as I use it primarily for school (and some side gaming) is the nVidia optimus function. For those of you who don't know, Optimus is supposed to switch dynamically between my GPU and integrated graphics. As in, if I'm gaming or doing anything that the laptop deems necesary, it'd use the gpu, otherwise integrated. This is very nice for battery life (I DID get 5+ hours).

Now for the problem: About a week ago or so, the laptop wouldn't activate my GPU for anything. I tried running battefield 3, chivalry, nothing. It would only use the HD3000. At the time I had the 304.79 Beta drivers as it was the most recent driver that supported optimus technology. Well, in a fit of rage (believe me) I just went ahead and got the newest drivers (310.90). To my suprise, this driver supports optimus! Cool! right? NO. For whatever reason, everything started out gravy, but there's one problem. OPTIMUS WON'T TURN OFF MY GPU...EVER. So as far as casual gaming goes while plugged in goes, this is fine. But like I said, I use this primarily for school, so I bring it to campus and normally rely on the battery for at least 3+ hours of life. This is utterly annoying because now it limits the battery life to around 2 hours and the laptop gets much warmer than if it was utilizing the igpu.

Troubleshooting steps I've done:
1) I went into the nvidia control panel and set it to universally use my igpu. Sure this is annoying, but if it were to work, I'd be cool. It doesn't work.
2) I changed the advanced power setting for "power saver" to only use my igpu at POWER SAVING settings, but no, doesn't work.
3)The ole hail mary, rebooted several times. Nope.
4).Prayed. No response, yet!

Now, I've been to this site lots of times for tech help, but always read other threads. I've googled this issue and I can't seem to find anyone else suffering. Please help! I'm open to any suggestions, even trying other software ( I hear the virtumvp or w/e is supposed to work?). Thanks in advance!

-Marcus.

dreadmyhaft

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
OOOHHHHKAAAYYY

I just re-installed TWO older drivers in succession, and I'm experiencing the same problem with both. I'm beggining to wonder if this is a hardware issue or what... I'm desperate for answers people!

dreadmyhaft

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I hate to bump my own topic, but I'm severely desperate for help here, I also just installed the newest HD3000 drivers, no luck. I do notice, however, that when I reboot, the computer initially doesn't have any gpu activity, after about a minute though, the GPU gets locked on.

SiriSGamer

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

I have a similar problem with the i7 core version of the laptop. I start off playing pretty much any game at 60-80 fps, but after like 30 secs - 1 min, the fps drops to 20. This then repeats itself, it goes up and all is great and after another 30 secs or so, it falls right back down. This is ruining my gaming experience to the point where I once threw my 150$ gaming mouse out the window and onto the higway... So you can understand my frustration.
Please, anyone who has any solution to this, please respond!

-Daniel