Sign in with
Your question

Buying advice, Graphics card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2013 11:52:55 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 3 months. Maybe later if a big pricedrop is expected.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: It's going to be used for gaming at moderate settings. I value texture resolution and enviroment detail.
My usual settings are something like;
AA X2
Shadows 3/5
Textures 5/5

CURRENT GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 900MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI.
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/asus-geforce-gtx-550-ti...

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
i5 2500k @3.4GHz. 4GB Ram. Z77x-D3H.
Custom Cooling on cpu and gpu.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes please.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Hey All! Sorry for the copy/paste above but I can't write essays ;) 

I'm looking for a card in the 180$ range. Since I build my own cooling solutions and overclock I would like the card to be non overclocked and with cheap cooling on it. I just don't like to pay for cooling that I replace and factory overclock that I can do myself. Maybe factory overclocked cards are better for me. What do you think?

The card need to have some overclocking potential though and not being locked because of the weak stock cooling. Not sure if there's any such locks but my current card resets back to 999MHz if I try going over 1000MHz (advice on this would be awesome). Heat never goes over 60C (card resets back to stock at ~70C)

Is larger memory important for textures and view distance?
Maybe a HD 7850 or GTX 650 ti?
February 17, 2013 1:32:00 PM

HD 7850 hands down (2GB version!) :)  It is way faster than the GTX 650 ti and you can get a stock cooler version with no OC and then OC it with your own cooling solution.
I do think making your own cooling solution won't give you much gain over a aftermarket cooling solution... BUT everyone likes to have fun right? So I will leave you with that :D  Have fun with the HD 7850, awesome card by the way :) 
February 17, 2013 1:52:19 PM

GTX 660.

3 months time, price drop will make that affordable.
Related resources
February 17, 2013 2:48:24 PM

Trust me, having 2 flimsy fans blowing hot air over a piece of aluminium with pipes is a bad "cooling solution". I think I can do better, and yes it's fun too. ;) 

Gonna have a closer look at those cards, thanks guys!
February 17, 2013 7:50:08 PM

Thesaints555 said:
Trust me, having 2 flimsy fans blowing hot air over a piece of aluminium with pipes is a bad "cooling solution". I think I can do better, and yes it's fun too. ;) 

I'm curious about your cooling solutions :)  Can you take some pictures and show them to me?
It would be awesome if you could do that :) 
February 18, 2013 8:16:56 AM

Thesaints555 said:

Oh, so you use liquid nitrogen?
!