Catalyst 13.1

stevieboy21

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I have upgraded Catalyst to "revision number" 13.1, and I am disappointed to discover that certain controls are absent. Such controls as Catalyst A.I. and Mipmap detail/size are both missing. I wonder if Catalyst A.I. is managing itself on its own, and is deciding for me what types of texture maps I should use, and whatever other settings it thinks I should be using.

I had a similar issue with Microsoft Security Essentials, where after upgrading to a newer versions, I was no longer able to end the service. Neither altering the Service properties nor adding permissions would allow me to close the program which ran on my own computer. So anything short of un-installing the program or re-installing an older version would return control of my computer to me. Its disappointing when software companies think they know what's best for us and decide that debarring us from altering settings on our own property is a legitimate way to treat their customers. When users are forced to install old drivers and software then no-one benefits.

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

If you have any complains regarding the software-you should contact the developer(AMD or Microsoft, in this case). No use complaining here...

Also I think you are mistaken about something.
You don't own the software-so it's not your property...

True, but OP probably does own OP's hardware (well, at the least, AMD doesn't). I think that OP was referring to how OP can't control that hardware as much if using the new Catalyst update, which is arguably wrong because it (accidentally or intentionally) diminishes the product after it was sold to the customer by restricting the ways in which the customer can use that hardware.

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I don't think that the company is obligated(in legal terms) to provide the "best possible" software for the hardware. The software is provided "as is" and as long as it is functional you have no right to complain.
Addition of any other optional features (like the one OP is missing) is solely the developer's choice.