Sign in with
Your question

IBM 60GXP...Click...

Last response: in Storage
March 24, 2002 12:55:50 AM

I have had an IBM 60GXP 60g in operation since July 2001. It has been excellent until now. I needed more storage recently so I choose a WD 1200BB instead of the new 120GXP due to the problems that IBM was having with their hard drives. I have Win2k installed on the IBM and WinXP on the WD.
This week my system started hard crashing to the blue screen regardless of which system I was booted in. The stops indicated were not software related and different each time but always indicated hardware problems. What I tried:
#1. Check each stick of memory. (3x256 Crucial DDR) all Ok.
#2. Try different Video card. No change
#3. Remove 3Com NIC card. No change
Still was crashing during operation in either OS.
Yesterday. Loud “click” occasionally from IBM HD. (determined my unplugging each drive to find out which one was clicking) This would happen every 15-45 min.
The blue screen crash would not coincide with clicking.
#1. Left WD HD unplugged:
#2. Changed 80-wire ribbon cable. No change.
#3. Used different power connector. No change.
#4. Used IBM diagnostic disk. Shows ok.
#5. Used IBM temp. program highest temp. showed 28ºc after 30 min. No crash.
(This HD actively cooled by 2-80mm intake fans.)
#6. Reformat NTFS and fresh install Win2k. (four tries before successful)
#7. Install all new drivers.
Still has click and still blue screens.
Unplug IBM and Plug in WD.
No crashes.
I liked my 60GXP but it obviously has problems and can still pass all IBM tests.
This drive has never had temperature problems and has never been dropped.

PSU is an Enermax EG651P-VE.
Asus A7V266-E
XP1800+
Geforce 3 ti500.

I can’t return it because it passes all IBM tests.
I welcome your thoughts.

<pre>Crap Camie.</pre><p> :frown:

<b><font color=red>Caution!...</font color=red><font color=blue> Firesuit...Ear Protection...Hardhat Area!</font color=blue></b>

More about : ibm 60gxp click

March 24, 2002 3:04:19 AM

I'd use the IBM diagnostic to "low level format" the IBM drive before reinstalling the OS, and jumper the Western Digital drive as Cable Select.

I've seen a couple of problems with both brands of drives on the same system if the WD drive was correctly jumpered as a slave.

At this point, it can't hurt, right?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
March 24, 2002 6:04:42 AM

You're right. At least I do have a good backup. They are both masters. My CD-rom and CD-RW are masters
on the raid. I don't see any conflict with the WD because the IBM still acts up with the WD unplugged.
I will try it and post back.

<b><font color=red>Caution!...</font color=red><font color=blue> Firesuit...Ear Protection...Hardhat Area!</font color=blue></b>
Related resources
March 24, 2002 12:50:18 PM

if you try your 60GXP alone with a fresh NTFS/OS reinstall & the issue is yet the same ?

your HD seems to be out (just after 8 months).

if this issue appears ramdomly between 15 to 45 min you have to test it a long while with your ibm tool before to be sure the test is passed.

run the test during night to be sure of.

format

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...
March 24, 2002 12:54:33 PM

if your 60gxp is out after 8 months, warn i (because i have the same hd & i had foreseen to buy an other)

March 24, 2002 4:19:52 PM

You may test the disk with IBM tools for temperature monitoring. It allows the user for a test as long as you want simulating read and write random access operation.
After this test (it works in DOS mode) you can perform a disk Fitness Test.
March 24, 2002 8:23:06 PM

i had a 60 gxp go out after four months and a 75 gxp got out after 6 months

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:
March 24, 2002 9:33:51 PM

Labdog

I did a low level format. Fresh install of Win2k/NTFS. Crashed to restart twice while installing.
Finally got it installed with SP2 and all new drivers, including 4 in 1 - 4.37. Ran long version of
fitness test 4 times. No problems. Let the temp test running for 3 hours with top temp of 30ºc. Booted to
OS. Loud click (like the click you hear when the heads unpark or park at starup/shutdown). Blue
screen 3 times in 2 hours. Twice while on the internet. This is with it running solo on the IDE channel
as master. Still passes all IBM fitness tests. Right now I am running on the WD 1200BB solo and no blue
screen for last 4 hours running UT and Renegade. It was fine and now this. I have always had great luck
with IBM drives. I really believe it is a problem with cheap circuit board on the HD. I don't really
know but I imaged the drive to another hard drive when this started and the image on the spare hard drive
is fine.

March 24, 2002 10:00:28 PM

was it some bad luck or something else ?

March 24, 2002 10:13:00 PM

ibm tests seem to pass correctly.

the HD isnt maybe out. but your win2K/NTFS OS ??

the last test that i will process is simple on this 60GXP.

fdisk
delete all partitions on it
install from scratch win98 with fat32 main partition.

rerun the previous OS tests.

March 24, 2002 11:25:24 PM

I'll try it. Nothing to lose. I don't trust the drive anymore. Would you?

March 25, 2002 12:35:33 AM

at first we think your 60GXP is out of order.
but because of your panoply of hd tests, maybe not.

i have this same loud click with my ibm SCSI2UW hd when booting, after idle mode & shutdown. its actually a heads park mechanism to protect the hd.

but i have never had this loud park click with my 60gxp & i believe you can simulate this command with the ibm tool.

have you have a look to your 60gxp integrated circuit ?
maybe an electronics component is burned ?
is the IC without burned traces, shortcuts, unsoldered EC, etc. ?

March 25, 2002 12:56:08 AM

not especially...

last munf my 60gxp developed a glitch...
couldnt load a game... sounded like a classic bad sector with grind grind grind pauze.
a dft showed no errors and i did a full defrag & error check.

i bet it got a bad sector and the data was relocated.

only a few useless temp files were corrupted.

but i too nolonger fully trust it. all my critical data is elsewhere...

need to know how to do a image to cd of my OS.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:
March 25, 2002 1:34:52 AM

No LabDog I haven't looked at the circuit board yet, but when I take it out this week to put a new HDD in
I will. Right now when it is plugged into the system, all by itself or with the other HDD. CD-rom and CD-rw,
it will lock the system period. I have everything protected with a UPS so is has finally caught the "IBM virus".
I don't really see what installing a different OS on it would accomplish because it either works or it doesn't.
This is the second HDD I have ever had go bad. The first was a 1gig Seagate many years ago.

March 25, 2002 1:37:48 AM

Grand Poo Baa, mine isn't to the grind stage just yet. How old is your IBM?
Drive Image will image your HDD to muliple cd's and there are others as well.

:smile: <b><font color=blue>You don't get what you pay for...IBM</b></font color=blue> :smile:
March 25, 2002 2:57:41 AM

its about a month away from a year old.
from memory it was manufactured in Thailand by IBM around march of 2001.

its had one bad sector as reported by DFT, but that was right in the middle of my first motherboard dying a horrible death with IDE data corruption left right and center... so i dunno how much u can attribute that bad sector to the poor drive.
this brief episode one resulted in me unable to run a game for a couple of hours.

it didnt work, it kept grinding at the same loadup spot, so i ran DFT (no errors reported for a detailed scan), then a win2k error check then a defrag and i havnt heard from the grind since.... more like a midlife HDD crisis methinks.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile:
March 26, 2002 6:30:36 PM

oh, & what the good avg temp for an hd ?

March 27, 2002 2:23:52 PM

do as you want, its not my pb but yours. :) 

discuss closed.
game over.

March 27, 2002 6:42:03 PM

I did as you suggested and nothing helped. When I took it out last night
I looked at the circuit board with a magnifying glass but could detect no
bad spots.

:frown:

:smile: <b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b> :smile:
March 27, 2002 9:59:38 PM

just send it back... demand a new one.
with luck u might get a 120gxp.

March 27, 2002 10:04:12 PM

I sent an e-mail yesterday so we shall see.
I'll let you know.

March 28, 2002 8:37:34 AM

i not sure of, but why you dont try to test it with 98 ?
you have nothing to lose to try this, no ?
(apart of course 1/4-1/2 hour to install it...)

March 28, 2002 4:14:01 PM

LoL!

I just noticed the "Crap Camie" in tiny letters.

What's up Doc? No luck?

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
March 29, 2002 3:39:39 AM

No luck. I really loved that drive. Still no reply from IBM.

April 1, 2002 12:26:31 PM

try 1-888-426-5214

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
April 2, 2002 3:07:42 AM

Go to:
http://www.sheller.com/ibmclassaction.htm
It seems IBM has a run of defective drives. I have 2 75GXP's - both have stopped working. I also have 2 60GXP's - they have yet to crap out. I bought all four at the same time - about 7 months ago. Join us in the class-action lawsuit! Click on the link above!
April 2, 2002 2:49:29 PM

My 60GXP died on me and now I got a Barracuda runnin fine. My buddy is tryin to set up a box with 4 60GXP's under RAID0 with 2 other HDD's also. Is he asking for it, or what? haha
April 2, 2002 2:52:16 PM

The fuss seems to be about the 75GXP line. Is there a problem with the 60GXP's too? It seems like an awful lot of people are also having the 60's die on them, including myself.
April 2, 2002 4:13:19 PM

No, you are correct. It is limited to the 75GXP line. I have heard rumblings about the 60GXP's, but mine have been rock solid, so I dunno.
April 2, 2002 4:16:30 PM

If he could, could you ask your mate to test out the array with Sandra and HDTach for scores?

I'm thinking of doing that too, and would like to see how they work out.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
April 10, 2002 7:02:51 AM

Guess what Camie. I went back to the local shop where I purchased my 60GXP and let them
test it. They called IBM but I don't know what was said. They gave me a new 60GXP 60gig OEM
and said they would work it out with IBM. Nice small family owned business. I will use it for
data backups.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile:
April 10, 2002 10:13:25 PM

Excellent!

:cool:

April 10, 2002 11:03:50 PM

It works fine now?

Sig of the week.
April 10, 2002 11:28:44 PM

Yep! This one was built in Nov 01. It just as happy as it can be.

:smile:

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile:
April 10, 2002 11:29:27 PM

It doesn't seen to be as loud or vibrate like the other one did.

!