Radeon 7500 AIW Composite Video Out

G

I am using the composite video output on a ATI Radeon 7500 AIW to feed the input of a wireless home A/V distribution system (namley a Terk Wavemaster 20 Leapfrog). The wavemaster uses a 2.4Ghz signal to send the signal. For example; I try to play an AVI with the Windows XP media player and send it to a television elswhere in the house. Everything works fine but.... the display on the TV where the signal is being received shows the windows desktop and the controls for the media player fine, in fact it shows everything fine except the video being played (that area is blank) Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

DM

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I remember that happening a while back with a laptop I had (using svideo out to my tv).... trying to remember exactly what remedied it.

First thing is... try full screen video! I'm pretty sure that will work. The issue I seem to recall was around playing the video in a window smaller than the desktop... kinda like the output to the tv wouldn't refresh the contents of a window fast enough?

Next thought... I have seen some similar types of issues where you had to disable hardware acceleration for your graphics card to do certain things with video. You may want to try temporarily disabling it when playing stuff out to your tv.

Finally... with the AIW 7500, there are 2 ways to play something out to your tv. The first is to use the dual-monitor'ish abilities of the card where you can still see your desktop on your computer monitor, but the video that is playing will automatically go full screen on the tv (what a sweet feature)! The other is to actually change into tv out mode where what is on your monitor matches what is on the tv. Try both ways and see if it helps you out.

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool:

nikolajhendel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
First off
I have the same problem with my laptop - which uses the ATI Mobility M. The only way to get the movie shown is to close the lid on the laptop. I know this is not possible on your comp. - but it could be a related problem - like having to shut off the primary display before it will show the movie.

Second
Could u give a review of the Terk Wavemaster 20 Leapfrog - i have the AIW 8500 DV and i'm looking for a way to get the signal to my tv's around the house. Is the Terk Wavemaster good, does it accept the composite directly, are there any better products out there....

Nick

The only way I heat up my house is by overclocking my cpu :tongue:

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
nikola... the issue you have where you have to close the lid to your laptop sounds like you simply can't use dual display mode when you are watching stuff on a tv. There is always a primary display when both displays are shown, and the primary display is likely the only one you can see the video on.

My guess is that you could get the video to appear on the tv by cycling through display modes without closing the laptop lid. Hmmmm....

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda©®</b></font color=green>

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Tiberius is right........ In most cases, it is either the monitor or TV. In most cases, once TV is selected as output screen the monitor will go black. On some cards if you disable the monitor, the TV may be automatically detected as active screen... but you cannot have both at the same time (again, not always but in most cases)... Also, check your display properties indicate 640x480 resolution before playing video on TV. (800x600 is okay too)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Tiberious is right IF you are using an nVidia card. The ATI series of vid cards has hydravision, and can display to 2 differnt sources simultaniuosly. Also, nVidia has fixed this with their GF4 series of cards, so the "only one output at a time" feature applies only to GF3 and lower cards.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
You are Assuming that everyone has an ATI card that supports Hydravision. My guess is that most laptops are not using chips that support Hydravision, although I may be wrong about that. I know my ATI AIW Radeon didn't have Hydravision and the my current and previous laptops don't. I only upgraded to an ATI AIW Radeon 7500 for my home computer about a month ago... Hydravision is very cool if you have it :) MOST people don't.

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda©®</b></font color=green>

G

Right click on your desktop, select "Properties", click "Settings" then "Advanced" then "Displays". Make sure your TV output is set so that you have the button below the TV icon with the circle and dot pressed. There should be two buttons, one is for the dot the other looks like a couple cascading windows. Anyways play around with that and see what you come up with, I haven't played around too much with the hydravision as of yet... Hope that helps somewhat...

XT8088_640K

Distinguished
May 12, 2002
Sapo:You are quite right. The problem was a driver issue, to be specific: the old driver did not support display video window in extended desktop of dual monitor settings. By using your setting, the dual monitor will be changed to same view, i.e.,the monitor and TV will display the same thing.

Newer driver shouldn't have the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XT8088_640K on 05/12/02 04:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>