New Crossfire 7970 Concerns

Hey guys. I just picked up a crossfire setup for the first time and am having some issues with artifacts. These issues are introduced in 3dMark, Crysis 3, Sleeping Dogs. Farcry 3, ect.

The model of 7970s I got are the XFX R7970 Double Dissipation cards, with standard clocks of 925/1375. I have not attempted to overclock these.

I am running both of these cards on a XFX 850 Watt single rail PSU. Not sure if that is the issue or not.

I had some issues with sensors and monitors my cards via my desktop gadget/MSI afterburner because of something called ULPS. So I found a thread on what the issue is.

I went into regedit, and typed in, "enableulps" and disabled all the registry values that started with 1 and made them 0. The official thread didn't include these directions, and only said to disable a certain keys - http://www.overclock.net/t/667144/crossfire-disabling-ulps

I just disabled all of them found in the registry, not sure if this is the issue or not.

Now I start out with download the 13.2 beta drivers. I never seen a 13.2a,b,c,d ect, so I am not sure which version they were. It was just off the official AMD website. I installed the drivers with a fresh install, rebooted and installed my up to date CAP profiles and rebooted again.

I got a few free games with my cards, so I booted into Farcry 3. After setting everything to max and using HDAO (Or w/e) since it's made for AMD I was instantly greeted by a flashing crazy screen of lights. It happens sometimes, and only a forced reload will fix it.

Sleeping Dogs, I am getting little odd square artifacts that are usually in the same area no matter where I am looking. Via the left side of the screen in the middle, or in the middle of the bottom of the screen.

Crysis 2 I get green artifacts when first stepping outside, or flashing skylights when looking through grates sometimes. It doesn't happen alot, but it does happen.

Just Cause 2 was extremely glitchy, and looked like the problem experienced with the Black Ops 2 support for the beta drivers.

I figured all of this was due to the beta drivers I downloaded, so I wiped them and used driver fusion in safe mode to remove all remnants of files and installed the latest stable version, 13.1.

I had to disable ULPS again, and I used the same method as before, disabling everything in the registry with a key -"Enableulps 0x0000 (1)"

And am now getting more artifacts so far in 3dMark free version, and Crysis 3.

I have yet to do anymore testing, but I am concerned I may have gotten a bad card, or my PSU is not up to par.

Can anyone suggest a surefire method to testing this to see exactly what the problem is?
1 answer Last reply
More about crossfire 7970 concerns
  1. Disable crossfire and test. If everything is OK, switch cards (put lower card in the upper slot and upper card in the lower slot), test again with and without crossfire.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Graphics