Should V-Sync cause PC lag?

Maximus_Sa

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hey all

Not quite sure how to explain this, but here goes:

When I have V-Sync enabled (either in Nvidia control panel; or in CS GO), there is a slight mouse delay.
Its hell of a frustrating when trying to aim and theres about a 0.25 second delay between moving my mouse and when the movement occurs on screen.

When I turn V-Sync off, the problems completely disappears.
The thing is im getting FPS of 300 odd, my cards get hot and noisy and its not the way I prefer. Im thankful I dont have screen tearing.

This ONLY happens in Counter Strike: Global Offensive. BF3 and the other games I play dont have the same issue.

WHY is this happening?? Is there any way I could fix it?

Specs are in my sig.

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
instead of vsync in global offensive, go into console and cap the fps to whatever you want to by typing in fps_max ###. for instance, if you have a 60 hz screen, itll only display 60 frames but cap it a bit above it.

flamehead269

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Well, I dont have much experience with NVIDIA cards, so here it goes, I would suggest uping the performance of the card when VSync is enable through the control panel or whatever of the card, and 300 FPS is outrageous.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Using Vsync in order to cool your computer i would say is the wrong way to go about things. Get an aftermarket cooler that is quieter and possibly do a better job at cooling.

Mouse lag is normal when using Vsync when the computer is putting out more frames than the Monitor can produce.

120hz monitor would quicken things up dramatically when using vsync, but the main issue here is your card being noisy, so it's quite a dilemma for you, will need to settle for either mouse lag or a noisy computer for now.

instead of vsync in global offensive, go into console and cap the fps to whatever you want to by typing in fps_max ###. for instance, if you have a 60 hz screen, itll only display 60 frames but cap it a bit above it.

Solution

Maximus_Sa

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

As far as Im aware one cant just 'up' the performance of the cards. V Sync sets the FPS cap at 60. So its either 60 when its on, or my cards max out and get the highest FPS possible - theres nothing inbetween. At least from what I know.

just for clarification, vsync caps it at the refresh rate of the monitor, which most lcd monitors are 60. there are 75 monitors, and of course the 3d monitors go at 120

Maximus_Sa

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

True that!
Tried your fps_max idea, works peeeerfectly. Thanks a mil! :)