Adjusting volume on pc and headphone amp

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 24, 2004 2:03:02 AM

Hi,

I've got a headphone amp and I'd like to adjust the volume of my computer so
it's optimal for amplifying with the amp. Right now the main volume is at
about 60% then I use the amp itself to adjust the volume after that. Good
idea? Thanks.

Alon
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:43:18 PM

In <qKH4d.9031$vd1.5996@trnddc03>, on 09/23/04
at 10:03 PM, "Asterix" <alon.wolman@verizon.net> said:

>Hi,

>I've got a headphone amp and I'd like to adjust the volume of my
>computer so it's optimal for amplifying with the amp. Right now the
>main volume is at about 60% then I use the amp itself to adjust the
>volume after that. Good idea? Thanks.

Each situation is different. You are caught between noise at one end of
the adjustment spectrum and distortion (overload) at the other end.

If possible, plug into "Line Out" on your computer. If there is a
separate headphone output on your computer, try it and see if it sounds
better or worse than Line Out.

As a general rule, you'll get better results if the volume is high on
the computer side and low on the headphone amplifier, however, the
computer side of things overloads easily and you may find that there
are multiple points for volume control on your computer. Fuss with each
one of these points and set them for minimum noise and reasonable
freedom from overload.

You may find that some settings, while they sound OK, may make the
system difficult to control. (One volume step is too quiet, but the
next is too loud.) Volume control is probably more precise at the
headphone amlifier, but may be more convenient at the computer --
depending on the clutter of "stuff" on or near your computer.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)