Sign in with
Your question

7970 weird "shimmering"? (video)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2013 12:07:44 AM

Got my Sapphire 7970 vapor-x GHz and I've been getting this weird shimmering thing on my games. I recorded this because it was the most pronounced here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7wOTEhLHE Look at the hay in the tent. Is this normal? I've also had my screen flash white for a millisecond when i'm just on my desktop once or twice. Running 13.2 beta drivers.
February 18, 2013 12:10:14 AM

You have the video as private. We can't watch it.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:12:54 AM

bystander said:
You have the video as private. We can't watch it.
:lol:  +1 :( 
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 12:13:01 AM

Woops should be fixed now.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:15:10 AM

you mean the fuzziness, its due to hay being antialiased. when something is extremely thin, exspecially in a pile, that kind of affect can occur depending on what kind of anti aliasing algorithm you are using.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:15:18 AM

timnswede said:
Got my Sapphire 7970 vapor-x GHz and I've been getting this weird shimmering thing on my games. I recorded this because it was the most pronounced here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7wOTEhLHE Look at the hay in the tent. Is this normal? I've also had my screen flash white for a millisecond when i'm just on my desktop once or twice. Running 13.2 beta drivers.

That's called Aliasing and is usually solved by enabling Anti-Aliasing in the game settings. It's extremely noticeable in Skyrim even with settings on max.

It's not a bug or a problem with your video card, it's a symptom of half-assed development.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:15:53 AM

That is a normal issue with lack of AA on transparent textures. You see this issue with all the leaves in Crysis as well, and games with a lot of foliage. While not possible in those two games, some games adaptive-MSAA or SSAA can fix it, though SSAA is extremely demanding. Nvidia cards have the ability to apply SSAA to transparent textures only, which helps, but not as good as SSAA. Nvidia's MSAA + SSAA on transparent textures, is most similar to adaptive-MSAA.

Normal MSAA/CSAA will not help on those particular textures.

It is not normally so noticeable, the black background on the load screens, make it stand out like a sore thumb.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:20:25 AM

Oh alright. I guess I just didn't notice it before. Kind of annoying, but at least I know it's not my gpu's fault. Thanks for the replies
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:22:12 AM

You could go to the CCC and see if Adaptive-MSAA will help, or forcing SSAA on. Not all games allow you to do that, but DX9 games have a much higher chance, which Skyrim is one.
m
l
!