Should I get a network card?

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Ok so I am wondering if I should buy a network card. My current download speed (according to speedtest.net) is about 25mb/s and upload is about 4mb/s. Now I have never acived anything past 3mb/s download, I dont know about upload. My router is a Belkin n750 db. Is the speed rating coming from speedtest what my modem is putting out and not what my computer is receiving? During playing any game online, such as crysis2, mw3, and yes minecraft (No comment on minecraft) I am getting lag. Will getting a ethernet card improve my download/upload speed to what speedtest.net says it is? If so, what would you recommend for me to buy. My buget is about 110, but anything lower would be better. Thanks in advance

Speedtest.net is not the same as downloading. The server you are downloading from most likely has a lot of people downloading from it causing congestion or the server you are downloading from may just not have that much bandwidth available to it. Your maximum speed is always determined by the weakest link in the chain. You dont know how many networks/devices your download has to pass through to reach it's destination.

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Then how do you explain the lag I get with pretty much every game online/multiplayer I play? My pc is strong enough to handle anything I through at it, for now, so thats not the problem.

G

Latency.

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
That's an excellent ping :p. I don't think its your internet.
What are your specs?
Here are specs... (by the way I am building a new system soon, just dont know what to get)

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 oc'ed to 3.5Ghz
CPU Cooler: Asetek Liquid Cooler
Mobo: Asus M4A785-M
Ram: 7gb ddr2 at 800Mhz
GPU: Palit GTS 250 oc'ed a bit
PSU: 700w
HHD 1: WD 1TB
HHD2: Hitachi 320GB