Sign in with
Your question

HD 7950 w/boost problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2013 1:46:42 AM

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my post,

A couple days ago I replaced my 6850 with the 7950 w/boost. I installed the newest drivers (13.1) and there was virtually no change in fps. I was playing SWTOR and SC2 and in both cases where there was action (like a warzone or the GTN) it gets the same fps as my old card. When idling with nothing around I get about 60fps in both SWTOR and SC2, which drops to about 17-24 in warzones/some SC2 games. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

After I owned it for one day I got, "display driver stopped responding and has recovered." Then I got the notorious blue screen of death. I uninstalled the drivers, used drivesweeper in safe mode, then re-installed (today). So far I have had no issues but the FPS is no different (I'm using the 12.1 drivers instead of the 13.1 at the moment.) Anyone have any idea what this could be? I know people who use weaker gpu's but get better fps.

My Specs Are:
MB: GA-870A-UD3
Mem: 16gb DDR3 Corsaid Vengeance 1600/chan
PSU: Corsair TX 650W
CPU: Phenom 2 1090T six core 3.2ghz/core
GPU: Sapphire 7950 w/ boost

I am running everything stock, no OC. Any input is appreciated.

More about : 7950 boost problems

February 18, 2013 11:55:32 AM

you processor severely bottlenecking your card. try to OC your CPU to 4.0GHz range if you can
m
l
February 18, 2013 1:23:27 PM

You can use AMD System Monitor to see where your bottleneck is. You'll have check the box for it to stay on top and run the game in windowed or full screen windowed mode, standard full screen won't allow the monitor to stay on top.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2013 7:20:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. I checked my CPU usage in game and it only came out to 33%. You really think it could be the cpu? Six cores at 3.2ghz/core isn't fast enough for swtor?

I recently picked up a GTX 670 FTW and I'm having the same issues, minus the driver problems.
m
l
February 28, 2013 9:41:33 AM

Yes - the reason is bottleneck. It doesn't matter how many cores it is because games don't utilize more than 4.

It matters what is the performance of it and sadly AMD CPUs are much slower clock to clock than Intel. Without solid OC You shouldn't get anything more than Your 6850 and probably this one was bottlenecked a bit too. I'd say - go for minimum 4,0 GHz and try again.
m
l
March 2, 2013 12:46:19 AM

Interesting,

I tried overclocking my CPU last night after doing some research on how to do it, all I did was change the voltage and the multiplier thing to 20 (4ghz), my computer wouldn't boot and I had to set it back the the original specs; I did try it at 3.8ghz and messed with the voltage a little bit.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to overclock and from the things I've looked up it seems kind of complicated, messing with FSB and the several different voltage settings, and the ram? I would hate to have to send this GPU back as well, but I have no clue how to properly OC.
m
l
Anonymous
March 2, 2013 4:25:13 AM

I dont believe it should be bottlenecked that bad to the point where your getting no increase at all.I went from a gtx 460 to a 7950 and seen huge gains on an a phenom 965be stock.Ya you might be bottlenecking somewhat but not that severley imo seems there is something else going wrong here.
m
l
!