HELP i am getting terrible performance out of my r7970 crosfire setup

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
HELP I just finished installing windows 7 and all the drivers for my hardware and the first thing i did was do a fresh download of minecraft just to see the frame-rate and my 2 radeon 7970 lightning edition video cards (in crossfire) only got me 59-61 fps with all default settings this is vary scary to me, because people with just one get 60-70 fps on bf3 with ultra settings!

I AM SO SCARED PLEASE HELP!

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
when I disabled v-sync I got to 100fps... so that means that to some extent it is graphics dependent more than allot of people think btw i have a core i5 3570k i noticed that the blue LEDs on my cards would change randomly from on/ off to flickering on one card and some are on but most are entirely off on my second card did I do the crossfire bridges wrong, or is it a defect i opend my case and made sure the set of two 8 pin connectors were secure on each card

I am seriously scared

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Counter-strike isn't really a game that needs Crossfire either. Try something running on a DX11-based engine. If you want more than 60 FPS, don't use Vsync. Some games have the option to set it to match 120Hz refresh rate, but are quite rare.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Like the others said, sli or xfire doesn't accelerate every game.
There is something that might help......I don't know about ati (I use sli) but you might be able to set up a custom xfire profile (or improve an existing one) if a game doesn't have one.
Additionally, confirm xfire operation, efficiency and any activated/improved profiles using a gfx card monitoring tool (I use evga precision x).

D

Deleted member 217926

Metro 2033, Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 along with Far Cry 3 are the only games I can think of out now or coming soon that would even stress 2 x HD 7970s. Hopefully you are running at least a single 2560 x 1600 monitor or a 3 monitor setup at 5760 x 3240. If you are running a single 1920 x 1080 setup you have some serious overkill.

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I was thinking about getting more monitors or recording game-play.

my problem would have been solved at minecraft isn't graphics dependent, but the LED's are giving me a terrible feeling.

does the v-sync at 60 mean that its not detecting my 120hz monitor,and does arma2 utilize crosfire, because i plan on playing allot of dayz and i have chysis three because it came with my video cards

sorry i have so many sum-what irrelevant questions.

D

Deleted member 217926

Arma 2 does support Crossfire. Just google it.

You have Crysis 3? Pretty amazing since the game is not released until Tuesday. ;)

I have not seen the benchmarks on Crysis 3 yet but Crysis and Crysis Warhead were amazingly demanding in their day. To the point that even the newest hardware could not max the games. Crysis 2 looks great but was not so demanding on the hardware that was newest when it was released.

Metro 2033 is a beast if you just want to see how good your system is. It's the only game I have played so far that I have to turn way down to make it perform well on my 2 1/2 year old GX 460 1GB at 1920 x 1080. The new game Metro Last Light should be out in March.

Far Cry 3 is also very demanding.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't know why people are telling you to buy games that's just plain stupid (unless you plan to play them).

There are free bench marking tools out there. Example unigine. It will test your cards as it does scale so you can run it with crossfire disabled, and then enable to test your scores. Which at the very least will give you a ball park number.

As far as the led not sure. Maybe it's shutting off the card not in use. I know mine will show 0 power 0 fan speed when not in use (second card). So maybe it's just a power saving feature.

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
OK, I ran unigine on ultra with 4x antinitalising <---or hover its spelled, and avraged like 100 something fps all the LEDs lit up and became stable when I ran the test, and the gpu didn't go over 70c it had no indication as to weather I was using crossfire, its said x1 after 7900 series so does this mean I was only using one even tho the leds turned on for the second one aswell, and if so is everything normal?

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
OK I thought that everything was going good, but then i loaded up arma 2 and there was noticeable mouse delay (on med-high settings with no v-sync) until I put the settings on vary low then there was less is this just a bug in arma 2 or are the cards defective?

both tests with unigine (haven benchmark) had all default except I changed it to ultra and 4xAA on full screen

one card (non crosfire): average fps:81.0 score:2040

both cards (crossfire enabled) average fps:114.8 score: 2892

Please tell me if these benchmarks seem normal.