How diagnose whether GPU or PSU is faulty?

silvercue

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hi,

Recently my PC stopped booting up. Happened before and a CMOS reset fixed.

This time it hasn't, nor has a deep CMOS reset or reseating and cleaning everything.

I beleive the fault is not hard disks as I have Windows 7 on a RAID set up and Ubuntu on seperate standard disk. Neither work.

I have suspected that it was either the Motherboard (IP35 Pro), the PSU (700w) or the GPU (8800 gts). The motherboard lights are on and the codes are often FF or 7F.

I tried another, smaller GPU in the PCIe slot and the system then boots - BUT I don't know if that means my graphics card is faulty or the PSU, because my GPU needs a lead from the PSU directly, where as the one I tried that worked doesn't.

Any idea how I can tell if it is the GPU or PSU? I can't afford to shell out on a new card if it doesn't work.

Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
FF usually means OK. 7F, I believe, means there is a graphic system (card?) failure. I have been looking for some proof of that, but can't find any. So all I can give you is what I think I remember from reading of a similar issue in the past.

silvercue

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies both.

I am inclined to think it is the GPU, but 8800s are still quite pricey on ebay - like £30-60, for an old and used card that seems a lot. I could get a 5870 for less that £100, though not sure I should spend that much either as Q6600 and Mobo are now quite old and if it turns outr it wasn't the card I am out of pocket

TRENDING THREADS