Sign in with
Your question

Desperately seeking Advice: Verizon + Fraudulent Business = Huge bill

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
March 23, 2012 8:35:40 PM

I need advice on how to deal with this problem :??: .

//Start
Last year, in July, one of my employees got a call from ebridge advertising. My employee said no but a trial online advertising was setup and after 30 days without our notice we were started to be charged in our verizon bill. I didn't check my verizon bill during the time this happened because coincidentally we were suddenly enrolled in paperless billing that same month so I didn't know that we were being billed until october because my credit card company notified me of my verizon payment not going through because the bill had gone up.

//First Battle
I checked my bill and found I was being charged $100 per month. I find this outrageous and I called them immediately and tried to deal with this. I asked for a full refund saying that I did not order this service at all and didn't want it. I was able to cancel the service immediately. I tried getting a full refund but I was only able to get a refund for one month so I took it. I called them later and after some back and forth arguing they told me that they would send me a recording of the phone call of my employee authorizing the service within a week. Fully trusting my employee and knowing that she woudln't have authorized it so I said yes and asked for it. Week later no phone call.

//Second Battle
Was extremely busy and wasn't able to deal with them. February, I booked a weekend to deal with them and by this time I had around $700 in unpaid bills. I called ebridge again to deal with this and I went through the whole thing again and I was told again I would get a phone call with the recording. Week later no phone call. I call them again and ask why I didn't get the phone call. They say that they actually called on Valentine's day and that I didn't pick up. What a lie. Absolutely no received phone calls for them. I demand that they send it again. Week later nothing once again. Throughout all these phone calls with ebridge I was treated extremely rudely which is why I am extremely mad at this company.

//Verizon
Not able to make any progress I call verizon's fraud department. I tell them I never authorized this 3rd party from authorizing this fee and how in the world did ebridge end up getting into my verizon bill? They say that they can't do anything because its a 3rd party and that I have to deal with the third party. I should get mad at verizon too but the people on verizon were extremely nice to me and so I couldn't get mad :??:  .

//NJ Fraud Department
Knowing that I can't deal with this problem with either of these companies I filed a report to the NJ fraud department against ebridge. Its been a month since I've sent it.

If this was all my mistake I would gladly pay what I owe but I'm 100% sure that I did not order this service and it is evident that ebridge is avoiding to deal with me. So, what do you guys suggest I do to deal with this problem? Also, do you guys know how I can check the progress of my complaint?

P.S.
I know another person who dealt with the similar problem of being billed by a 3rd party by not paying at all and leaving this service. Later when verizon contacted him to collect the money, he and his lawyer dealt with the situation by saying that he did not authorize the service and therefore payed 0% of the bill.
March 27, 2012 4:01:10 PM

You seem to be doing pretty much everything you can with this, make sure you let this company know that they will be under investigation by the state and also put this in the BBB. Is Verizon still taking billings from these people? That's the way they get around stop payment deals, instead of charging to a card or sending you a bill, they go though Verizon which does not care how the money gets there. A CC company would be on your side usually and would investigate, Verizon does not give a crap.

Even if you setup a trial and got charged for a month there is nothing they say if you just pay for a month and cancel.
Anonymous
March 27, 2012 11:33:42 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You seem to be doing pretty much everything you can with this, make sure you let this company know that they will be under investigation by the state and also put this in the BBB. Is Verizon still taking billings from these people? That's the way they get around stop payment deals, instead of charging to a card or sending you a bill, they go though Verizon which does not care how the money gets there. A CC company would be on your side usually and would investigate, Verizon does not give a crap.

Even if you setup a trial and got charged for a month there is nothing they say if you just pay for a month and cancel.

Thank you for the reply!
The NJ Fraud department hasn't been of much help. Thank you for mentioning the BBB and I'll see if I do better with them. And by CC company do you mean credit card company?
March 28, 2012 12:14:23 AM

Call your credit agencies and let them know your phone account has fraud. They'll investigate and put any holds on your account unless authorized by you over a phone and verified by another person present (cashier, etc).

Lawyer up.

It may even be worth it to cancel your phone account and get a new phone elsewhere while this is going on.
Anonymous
March 28, 2012 1:02:15 AM

riser said:
Call your credit agencies and let them know your phone account has fraud. They'll investigate and put any holds on your account unless authorized by you over a phone and verified by another person present (cashier, etc).

Lawyer up.

It may even be worth it to cancel your phone account and get a new phone elsewhere while this is going on.

I don't think I can avoid a lawyer :??:  :p  .
Yeah, I'm going to try to migrate all my services away from verizon. They're not a bad company but I just find it wrong that something like this could be allowed to happen.
March 28, 2012 5:43:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply!
The NJ Fraud department hasn't been of much help. Thank you for mentioning the BBB and I'll see if I do better with them. And by CC company do you mean credit card company?

If that company is out of state you can contact the state they operate in also. Maybe even a national agency as the issue may extend past state borders.

Yes, CC is credit card.
March 28, 2012 6:48:40 PM

May as well even spend the $7/month and get ID theft protection to prevent things like this from happening in the future.
Anonymous
March 30, 2012 8:37:19 PM

Hm... checked over all the payments and everything and found out that Verizon did not process more than $200 that I payed. This is not very satisfactory.
April 14, 2012 12:40:39 AM

Cancel all cards, get new ones.

Recycle all verizon bills sent to you except the one under dispute. Keep previous bills for records of what was sopposed to happen.

Record all conversations with verizon. Focus on canceling fradualent bills.

Verizon records convo's but will delete all records corresponding to criminal conduct. They did this to me.

Either verizon continueously encourages this behavior, or they have a rougue group of employees or just one. who actively works to violate their customers agreements. thus voiding all legal agreements. You shouldn't be liable to pay their bill, because of their breach of contract and failure to notify customers of changes to their bills. Intentionally as a means of producing false profits.

I also reported to the BBB and all consumer reports i can find. eventually the word will get out. And we will be free from these criminals.
Anonymous
April 14, 2012 3:37:37 PM

Amazingly I was actually able to get rid of them. I called them again for a different reason. I was trying to resolve an issue where one of my payments left the bank but did not go into my verizon account. I started complaining how all my bills were messed up and confusing because they change the darn formatting every single month so it looks like prices are different but they're not. And than I started complaining about the third party bills and than I started to ask them how did they know that this company had authorization. Than the representative decided to return my third party bills... return them... just like that... and I wasn't trying... wtf. I'll have to check to see if it actually happened though but I'm crossing fingers and hoping it really did just blow away...
!