Does Audacity have a slider-bar ?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 25, 2004 6:12:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
on the sound file.

I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
to find any such slider bar.

Can someone describe how to find it (if there is one)?

(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)

More about : audacity slider bar

September 25, 2004 1:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote in

> Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
> click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
> on the sound file.
>
> I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
> to find any such slider bar.
>
> Can someone describe how to find it (if there is one)?
>
> (If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
> to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)

Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom of the
screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings changed, it had
always been there. Can't say I remember it being not there on previous
versions.

Rod
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 9:23:51 PM

Rod wrote:
> wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote in
>

>>Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
>>click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
>>on the sound file.
>>
>>I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
>>to find any such slider bar.
>>
>>Can someone describe how to find it (if there is one)?
>>
>>(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
>>to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)
>>

> Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom of the
> screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings changed, it had
> always been there. Can't say I remember it being not there on previous
> versions.
>
> Rod

Select the (default) cursor mode (the vertical bar among the buttons in
the upper left corner), left-click in the waveform view at the time you
want to start from, then press "play".

--
Phil
Anonymous

Phil Nelson <pCUT_THiS_TEXTdn@soAND_THiS_TEXTnic.net> wrote in message news:<HQh5d.15099$54.228692@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> >>Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
> >>click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
> >>on the sound file.
> >>
> >>(If you're playing a one-hour sound file and you want to skip
> >>to the 30-minute position, how are you supposed to get there?)
>
> Select the (default) cursor mode (the vertical bar among the buttons in
> the upper left corner), left-click in the waveform view at the time you
> want to start from, then press "play".

That only works when the player is stopped.
If I'm playing a recording of a radio talk show, for example, and I
miss what someone just said and I want to replay the previous ten
seconds, I would have to first hit the STOP button, then click on a
spot to the left of the current cursor position, then click on PLAY
again. That's a nuisance.
I'd rather just click on any spot to the left (or the right) without
having to bother with STOP and PLAY. (That's how most other sound
players/editors work).
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 7:22:01 AM

Rod <reply@group.please> wrote in message news:<2rksgdF1aoot8U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
> > click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
> > on the sound file.
> >
> > I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been able
> > to find any such slider bar.
>
> Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom of the
> screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings changed, it had
> always been there. Can't say I remember it being not there on previous
> versions.

That only scrolls the *view* of the wave display.
It doesn't move the position of the cursor *within* the sound file.
September 26, 2004 2:56:38 PM

> Rod <reply@group.please> wrote in message
>> > Most audio players/recorders have a slider bar where you can
>> > click on it and drag it left or right to jump to any spot
>> > on the sound file.
>> >
>> > I'm currently running Audacity version 1.2.1 and I haven't been
>> > able to find any such slider bar.
>>
>> Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom
>> of the screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings
>> changed, it had always been there. Can't say I remember it being not
>> there on previous versions.
>
> That only scrolls the *view* of the wave display.
> It doesn't move the position of the cursor *within* the sound file.

Yes, so I noticed, I know understand you want to jump back while playing
the file. I can't see how this can be done.

Rod
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:56:39 PM

> wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote in
>
> > Rod <reply@group.please> wrote in message

> >> Using v 1.2.2 here (latest stable version), slider is at the bottom
> >> of the screen, looks just like a normal window-slider. No settings
> >> changed, it had always been there. Can't say I remember it being
not
> >> there on previous versions.
> >
> > That only scrolls the *view* of the wave display.
> > It doesn't move the position of the cursor *within* the sound file.
> >

> Yes, so I noticed, I know understand you want to jump back while
playing
> the file. I can't see how this can be done.

Yeah, that would be one of my only complaints with this great program.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:56:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

"Mister Charlie" wrote ...
> Yeah, that would be one of my only complaints with this great program.

So it is open-source. Why doesn't someone add this feature?
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:03:18 AM

wylbur37 wrote:

>>Select the (default) cursor mode (the vertical bar among the buttons in
>>the upper left corner), left-click in the waveform view at the time you
>>want to start from, then press "play".
>

> That only works when the player is stopped.
> If I'm playing a recording of a radio talk show, for example, and I
> miss what someone just said and I want to replay the previous ten
> seconds, I would have to first hit the STOP button, then click on a
> spot to the left of the current cursor position, then click on PLAY
> again. That's a nuisance.

IIRC, you can relocate the cursor during playback, but you do still
have to stop and start to play from the current position. I guess it's
not perfect, but for me, not a big problem.

> I'd rather just click on any spot to the left (or the right) without
> having to bother with STOP and PLAY. (That's how most other sound
> players/editors work).

I think you might be looking for a feature called "scrub" and I guess
it's not in Audacity, yet. Maybe you would like to help them code it?

BTW, I use XMMS for listening, and do just what you describe in XMMS.
Sometimes I have problem locating just the right spot because I can't
zoom in and place the cursor accurately the way I can in Audacity.

--
Phil Nelson
!