660 TI or 7950 or 670

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I am new to the forums and new to computer builds. I am building a mid level rig. Here is what I have so far.

amd 8350 vishera

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) came with the mother board

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX

COUGAR Solution Black Steel ATX Mid

not sure what gpu to get I was originally looking at the
EVGA 02G-P4-3664-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature2 2GB
or
EVGA 02G-P4-3667-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW 2GB(couldnt figure out the difference between the two except price)

But I then was reading about the 192 bit memory limitations with the 660 ti especially when dealing with anti aliasing.
That lead me to the 7950
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit

However I am more a fan of nvidia and so by toms hardware review of the best 670s I was looking at
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit

I would like to stay at $300 range but I am ok with the $400 range if that is what is best for my build.

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

saw the format for gpu questions so here are the answers.

purchase date: febuary 20-march

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: far cry, borderlands, dragon age( mostly single player some fps), multi player, music, and low level video editing( youtube, go pro)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: above.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: above. running 7 fans at 70 cfm and 1500 rpms.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: nvidia.

OVERCLOCKING: probably not. maybe the cpu but most likely not the gpu

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080 H:67khz V:60hz

ADDITIONAL COMMENT: none

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Well if you like the physX that nvidia offers then try to get the gtx 670, its more worth it and if you can get another one around 2-3months and put it and a two way sli then its going to max out any latest game at 1080p, No point in buying a cheap one if you can get the better price/performance

My advice is: Always buy the best you can right now.

The GTX 670 is the best GPU and will suit you the best, no discussion there. Buy a great aftermarket GTX 670 like the Gigagabyte Windforce 3x, The Twin Frozr III or my favorite the Direct Cu II, which is the most silent GTX 670 there is. The GTX 670 can overclock itself and better coolers will allow better overclocking. You won't have to do anything.

Now, if your main target if gaming, you're a bit off by buying the AMD FX 8350. Overclocked to 4.8 GHz it doesn't even touch the i5-2500k at stock.

- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/6 Gaming performance

Multi-tasking and general performance is also pretty bad for the FX 8350 even though it has 8 cores.

- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/5 - Multitasking and general peformance

Even editing and video encoding

- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/4 - Editing and encoding

It's quite a sad road for AMD, I would really like them to succed, but they just don't. If you really want to get the AMD FX 8350, then just go with it. You will be happy with that one too. I wouldn't buy it myself, but some people just want to support AMD, and if you do, then there is no bad thing about that. I would just like to show you that it doesn't live up to its' reputation.

Happy gaming. :)

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I bought the 8350 for the performance to price ratio. I set out to build a some what budget build. so amd was the direction I went. I know intel is better but it is a lot more expensive. In the future I will probably go with intel if I ever get rid of this build.

i5-3550 has almost the exact same price as the FX 8350 and beat it by a margin. i5-3570k is about 20$ more, that is minor. You won't be getting better performance for your money.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,review-32628-9.html

I don't think, I know it is. It's slightly below Radeon 7970 performance. Tomshardware also says so, if you've followed the "Best Graphics card for your money xxxx".

Also when you won't be overclocking the 7950 is completely out of the picture, the only reason for buying it, would be the overclocking part if you were comparing the two GPUs.

Yes GTX 670 is better than the 7950, but it also costs $50+ more. Personally I would get the GTX 670 if you have the money to do so, It's a great card and nvidia offers some good extra features over AMD (adaptive vsync, physx, 3d vision, and so on).

And a lower power consumption to match ;)

No reason to put him down for his purchase (Maybe he can return the mobo + CPU? then what you are telling him will be useful)... Sure the i5 3570k is better for gaming but only by a few % not enough to actually SEE(In gameplay) the difference in most cases. But anyway you might want to get an aftermarket CPU cooler and OC the CPU will boost the performance a good amount.

Take a look at the earlier post I made. I said he would be happy with it, no matter what. I also showed benchmarks of the AMD FX 8350 overclocked to 4.8 GHz getting beaten by a I5-2500k at stock. You can just scroll up and have a look. Multitasking, editing, encoding EVEN multitasking FX 8350 loses. There is no reason for the OP living in a world, where he will being kept told that it's "good enough", because when you can get something at the same price that is better, then I don't see where the logic went. AMD FX 8350 is a fine CPU, it will be about sufficient, but it isn't the best choice by far. That is what I want to show, nothing else. I would swift my i5 to an AMD CPU in a heartbeat, if they just could produce some better CPUs that actually could compete with Intel, but as far as goes AMD's lineup for now, it's just not up to discussion.

More cores and higher frequencies doesn't matter if the architecture sucks. People get fooled by the bright specifications and I think it's sad.

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_660_ti_gc_oc_vs_670_hd_7950/4#.USKfEqU3uJ8

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx_660ti_roundup_asus_msi_galaxy/7.htm

Overclocked the 7950 beats the GTX660Ti by a lot and can even equal the GTX670.

Techreport hates AMD, many games that favor AMD like DiRT showdown were omitted, the addition of games that favor Nvidia (AC3/Borderlands and Skyrim(seriously who still considers Skyrim a "new game") while totally omitting AMD Gaming evolved games), and one has to remember the spat between AMD and Techreport.

Also 13.2 drivers just widen the gap more, and the obvious things about memory and bus, etc.

I'd reccomend them highest to lowest:

GTX670(slightly better than 7950)
Radeon 7950
GTX660Ti

OP won't be overclocking, read carefully. :)

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Why ever not.

As long as you don't overvolt you don't void the warranty, and GPU overclocking is many times simpler than CPU overclocking(it's literally just incrementally moving sliders in your favorite OC program).

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I didnt take it as putting me down. I know that intel is better now but when I bought the mother board it was november so I am stuck with it. the other part of it is the mother boards were a bit more pricey as well for intel processors. I have read all of the reviews of the cpu on here so I know that intel is better but I was at that point looking at the difference between the 8350 and 4170. for what I need it will do. I learned a lot making this one and next time I will be able to be better informed. But I think I am leaning toward the 670 to avoid the bottle neck at the memory.

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

actually the games you listed for nvidia are the games I am most looking to play.

d00mdragon

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

ok well once I get it I will look into it.

I understand that.. But he already has the CPU - so unless he can return it and get a full refund for both CPU and Mobo it wouldn't be ideal for him to switch at this point. Was not trying to cause an argument, I agree with you, but if the OP can't do anything about it (without spending extra money) - All you are doing is making him feel bad about a decision he can't change.