Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to get a triple-hdmi setup working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2013 4:45:11 PM

Hello,
I've got 3 of the following tv's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Trying to run them off of the Gigabyte 7970:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I'm trying to get them to display on Eyefinity. I have them all using HDMI cables with various adapters. The current setup is:

1x HDMI->HDMI
2x Mini-DP->HDMI

and I can only get 2 at the same time to display.

I've also tried stuff like using a DVI cable with an HDMI adapter.

Keep in mind, I AM NOT USING TVs THAT HAVE DVI PORTS ON THEM. They are HDMI only! There is supposedly a single HDMI port that has a dual label of "HDMI/DVI"

I have what I think are two active adapters for DisplayPort->HDMI

Any suggestions? I've already spent like $60~ on 2 adapters, and now it's looking like that isnt going to cut it. So what do I do? It's not like I can return my TV's.....

EDIT1: Whoops forgot to list the graphics card.

EDIT2: Fixed the link for the TV, it's pointing at the correct make/model now. Also clarified the situation of inputs on the TV.
February 18, 2013 4:48:54 PM

What video card do you have? Does it support 3 displays?
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 5:40:52 PM

3 of those? Wtf?! ....

As far as I know there is no ACTIVE DP/mini-dp to HDMI adapter. This means that you are probably attempting to use a passive mini-dp to HDMI adapter for two of your connections. This is your problem. In order to use more than two screens, you need to either natively use the third DP signal or actively convert the signal to another.

Your options:
DVI -> DVI to HDMI adapter -> HDMI
HDMI -> HDMI
Mini-DP -> Mini-DP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI (this is passive, your third connection MUST be actively converted)
Mini-DP -> Active Mini-DP to DVI adapter -> DVI adapter to HDMI (may not work)

Basically without any DVI capable screens, you're going to have a tough time getting 3 of those TVs to work.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:15:46 PM

Okay so reading on the specifications of the particular TV I have I realized 2 things.
1) The originally listed TV is not the same size as the one I have
2) There is a port that is listed as HDMI/DVI

Also, I had dual Nvidia 560's and was able to run this just fine, however from what it is looking like that has a lot to do with the fact I was running two cards so I had plenty of outputs to work with.

My other question at this point is if I tried to Crossfire two 7970's would I continue to have this problem?

EDIT: Also ended up fixing the first post with accurate link to the EXACT TV I have.
m
l
February 18, 2013 7:12:14 PM

Also I forgot to mention that I just used a DVI cable with an HDMI adapter on the end for one monitor and it worked fine.
m
l
February 18, 2013 10:18:33 PM

Looking around for active adapters for Mini-DP to HDMI seems to be troublesome. Any suggestions on a particular brand?
m
l

Best solution

February 18, 2013 10:54:30 PM
February 18, 2013 11:50:06 PM

Ordered, We'll see how things go in about 2 days. Thanks for your help so far :D 
m
l
February 19, 2013 12:43:12 AM

Http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

you'll note there are no active MDP to HDMI adapters. Not much call for them as people running high res would normally want monitors, but they did finally add the category and the startech might work. Id have gone with an active MDP to DVI and you DVI to HDMI cable
m
l
February 19, 2013 8:19:18 PM

unksol said:
Http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

you'll note there are no active MDP to HDMI adapters. Not much call for them as people running high res would normally want monitors, but they did finally add the category and the startech might work. Id have gone with an active MDP to DVI and you DVI to HDMI cable

While I did mention this in my list of connections, the research I've done on it points to it working for some and not working for others.

If the Startech works, then
1. We'll know it works
2, that's less converting that needs to be done.

If it doesn't then
1. sorry
2. we'll know it doesn't work
3. the OP can attempt the long, multiple adapter solution which, at least to my knowledge, is hit or miss
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:31:00 PM

The adapter worked! Everything seems to be solid. I am able to have everything running and the adapter supports audio as well.

Thank you everyone for your help.
m
l
February 21, 2013 9:31:12 PM

Best answer selected by Apothem.
m
l
!