ARMA 2 OA 7970 cf

alex12

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hi everyone i have a question about ARMA 2 OA and my new 7970 cf setup.My cf works perfect in other games such as far cry 3 but in arma 2 oa i seem to be getting 9-10fps maxed out with cf and i actualy get about an extra 2fps with cf off. Is this normal for this games requirments or do i have a problem all round im preety dissapointed because i was looking forward to maxing it out on my new computer. I have all settings as high as they can possibly go including aa,hdr and 3d resolution any help would be greatly apreciated.
also my cpu is an i7 3930k overclocked to 4.7ghz

Solution

I have Arma 2 OA but not CF 7970s, make sure you have the newest patches, as well as beta patches.

http://www.arma2.com/supply/game-updates

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Which If your playing mp I'm assuming you already have, 3d resolution may also be a factor, but hey its worth a try, before many patches i was locked at 24fps and i updated and got 50 or so with a single 6870, but after a reinstall it was locked still, but hey its worth a try right.

Hope this works for you.

Tekyteky

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
its Arma 2, i've being told its a very poorly optimized game, i was hoping to max it out aswell with my new comp, fx6100 @ 4.1ghz, 7870 2GB 8gb 1333mhz, but on high settings it barely goes over 30 fps in citys, and in the dayz mod its even worse.
just a little tip aswell, when you set graphics to low, it runs from your CPU i've being told, or something like that so you could maybe try that to see if your fps goes higher.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

I have Arma 2 OA but not CF 7970s, make sure you have the newest patches, as well as beta patches.

http://www.arma2.com/supply/game-updates

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Which If your playing mp I'm assuming you already have, 3d resolution may also be a factor, but hey its worth a try, before many patches i was locked at 24fps and i updated and got 50 or so with a single 6870, but after a reinstall it was locked still, but hey its worth a try right.

Hope this works for you.

Solution

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Depends on what kind of server as well, DayZ uses much more resources then Wasteland it seems like

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

you should honestly get 60+ with 7970s CF its the games problem, maybe patches or its poorly optimized in general, which it is.

alex12

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
yeah well after i installed the latest beta patch it does seem to run a bit better. aside from that i think it was the 3d resolution i had it at 3140x2160 taking that down has realy sped things up

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Yeah the 3d res should be what res your monitor is, i don't think you specified if you had a dual monitor setup but with CF 7970s i would assume so, if its running how you should expect it to please select a best answer so if some one in the future has a similar problem they can find it solved here.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
There is no maxing out Arma2 also when the game starts taking a hit on performance you have to remember that it has to run all the scripts for the AI which in DayZ's case is Zombies running around the more people you have on the server walking around that trigger Zombie spawns the more slow down you will have, but at least Operation Arrowhead ran smoother due to it being more desert like than having to render all the forest in Chernarus this is why someone should make a DayZ in Takistan in my opinion. Hopefully Arma 3 will be better optimized I guess we will find out later this year.

Hate to high jack a thread but while on the subject of DayZ for the people that play it if they want to maybe team up and play together. I just recently started playing it myself and find it hard to stay alive roaming around lone wolf.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

whats your steam maybe we can arrange it some day

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Disable your crossfire for that game. Some games arent optimized to use SLI/Crossfire. Youll have better luck with just one card.

Alex Dubas

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead unfortunately very unoptimized game

server side:
---------------------
in arma2/dayz servers fps often slow to 5-15fps, if server doesnt restart every 4-6hours
or sever in heavy load with huge addon objects or fighting activity

player side:
---------------------
tuning tweaks must increase fps in single player armory arma2 o.a. >100 fps
game must runing from ssd - large areas loaded with freezing and swap file used frequently

for example, my executing shortcut is:
-cpuCount=3 -exThreads=3 -nosplash -maxmem=2047 -maxVRAM=512 -winxp -forcedirectdx9
on my old hardware: nvidia 460se, old intel quad core, 8gb ram and ssd
show about 20-50fps in middle size arma2 map with max 40 players
more speedy hardware (nvidia 680) of my friends in thus situated show 30-70fps

another biggest fps reducer is visibility range,
moreover in arma2/dayz server view rage often < 3km
compromise is to reduce it: 1.5km or even 900m view rage and get some significant fps increase

-----------
sorry for my french =)