THG Review of Sound Systems

G

How can you do a review of sound systems and NOT include the Klipsch 5.1 pro-media?

C'mon guys, I don't even own one and it's THE SOUND SYSTEM STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE...everyone knows it!

25 years ago, I got a job in a stereo store in San Francisco that specialized in high-end gear. Klipsch was blowing the doors off the competition then. From everything I've read, they're still doing it.

reader

G

Yeah really... I'm actually looking at the ProMedia's and the Cambridge 510D's and having a direct comparison would be great.

"That brownie has green mold growing on it ... Making it count as a vegetable" --Garfield 3-14-02

FatBurger

Illustrious
Klipsch is great for small format gear, but for large format... :frown:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

longjohn

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
First of all, thanks for providing a well-researched article today on multi-channel PC speakers. I hope to see more articles on PC audio equipment and beckoning sound technologies (plug: Dolby ProLogic II, QSound QMSS, DVD-Audio, SACD, 6.1 discrete -- are not addressed in this article -- and please, how much longer timeframe before we can <font color=yellow>finally </font color=yellow> see wireless speaker satellites?).

Reckoning that most savvy end-consumers probably want to spend money on only one speaker set ever, I believe your article does fill a current <font color=purple> void </font color=purple> of courageous subjective review on PC speakers for our buying decision. I am, however, <font color=red>disappointed </font color=red> at the omission of other well-deserved manufacturer's multimedia-speakers, including, <font color=green> Klipsch PM5.1, Boston Acoustics BA7800, Monsoon MH-505, Polk AMR-150, </font color=green> just to name a few similar-priced contenders available. To the author/THG team... is a further complete review forthcoming? <font color=purple> Others, please post reply if interested! </font color=purple>

As well, given that home-theatre-in-a-box sound solutions (ie. from major brands like Sony, Panasonic, Kenwood, Denon, BOSE, etc.) are available with similar sub/satellite-sized speaker sets as above, is there anybody resourceful enough to attempt a comparison audio review of, say, Megaworks 510D versus a similar price-range Kenwood HTIB package? Anybody else interested here?

Cheers,
-john-

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by longjohn on 03/25/02 05:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
While I'd <b>like</b> to agree, making speaker recommendations without even mentioning what is arguably the best set out there is unthinkable (Klipsch). I understand that you can only test what has been sent to you but the industry leader needs to be considered/mentioned somehow.

-------------------------------------
Nature abhors a moron. -- HL Mencken

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I think it is pretty worthless to make comparisons when you don't have everything you need. This review should not have taken place unless they had so of the left out speaker systems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So no review should take place, because they never have everything. When's the last time anybody did a review on motherboards that included the Leadtek 7350KDA? Quite possibly one of the best boards made, but who knows for sure?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I can't find where they said where they were "great", even if we all know they are. They mention them w/ Videologic at the very beginning as opening up the market and they mention that they were unable to test them in the middle of the Cambridge review. No mention whatsoever in the "Conclusion" section which is where you need to mention them most of all. I stand by my original post.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
hey this is pretty cool...i just signed on before and said WOW! a speaker review and then was doomed when i didn't see a Klipsch Setup. I quickly made a comment in the "SOUND" section of the forum.. and just decided to stop here and see what you guys though! obviously many of you felt the way i did.. but somebody above made a pretty good comment by saying they can't review what people don't send them, but then another comment followed that and said This review should of never had taken place..which i thought is true.. i agree 100% i think they should of waited until they have Rounded up some of the other HIGH QUALITY well known performers such as Klipsch and Boston acoustics..but anyway... i say Klipsch 5.1 would of ROCKED!!

Once you go AMD, You never go back!

G

Everybody is so praising the name of Klipsch which has been omitted, but what about the VideoLogic Digitheatre DTS?
Can anybody remember these speakers cos they even offer u with DTS support in addition to Dolby Digital 5.1 plus u get that seperate decoder which is of good quality as well...

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
How can they make a conclusion on a product that they didn't even test themselves? Even if the Pro Media did get great reviews and praise elsewhere, THG makes independent reviews and comments themselves, based on what they have. They don't make any speculations what a system is based on by word of mouth without testing it themselvs. That would be silly.

Check out Britney Spears' (o)(o) <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">hooters</A>!!!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Like Crashman said, so no review should ever take place, EVER...because no one review site could possibly have EVERY single product to test.
Don't be surprised if you see an "Update" to the review in the near future that includes the Pro Medias and other speakers.

Check out Britney Spears' (o)(o) <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">hooters</A>!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sTiCk_E_mOuSe on 03/25/02 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
25 years ago it did? I remember 25 years ago we had radios with tubes, a portable transistor radio was a hot item.... and so on.... Let's not b.s. about any door blowing sound system 25 years ago, everything 25 years ago sounded like crap.

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I conceded that point earlier but I think its a pretty disingenuous review that <i>recommends</i> a set of speakers without can't even mention what is arguably the best set. I'm not saying to do a full review, I'm saying that you really must at least say "you should also check out the Klipsch." It'd be like me doing a review of roadsters without mentioning the Boxster. I mean, heck, most of us here seem to know that Klipsch is arguably the watermark but we can't compare his review against them. Buy the damn things and return them if that's what it takes. Otherwise, you might as well not have even done the review because its basis for comparison is so out of whack.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Uh... ok, Crash. You might want to mention that in "Motherboards and Chipsets" not in the middle of a thread called "THG Review of Sound Systems."

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
But how can you do a review without the speakers that the majority of users say is the best? Whenever benchmarks are done, they are always compared to what was/is the best at that time. In this review, that did not happen.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you glance up real fast you may see Crash's point whizzing by.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I give up...it's pointless arguing with these guys.
I have better things to do than whine about some speakers that wasn't included in one review, yet reviewed by about 5 zillion other sites.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stick_e_mouse on 03/26/02 01:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
You might well do the same for mine.