ROUTER SUGGESTIONS FOR A GAMER

golono

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hello everyone. I could use some help finding a router for my uses. First I'll give some background on why.

Story
I am currently using an Actiontec modem/router provided by my ISP. I have been using it for about a year and I'm tired of it. Every now and then when it feels like it, it will drop my internet connection for a couple of seconds. Anyway long story short, the damn thing will restart when ever it wants to and stop working when ever it feels like it. On top of this, I hate the firmware. The UI for the most part is clean, unless like me, you do a lot of Port Fowarding. This is when things become a mess. For every port I need to open up, I must create a rule for EACH one. Meaning, if I want to open up, say port 25545 on TCP and UDP, I need to make a twice for each one. Also, the ports can't be organized in to a group.
I currently am almost finished getting all the parts I need for my upcoming computer build, and I refuse to use this router by the time I have it ready. There are a few features I would like to have in the router I decide to buy.

ISP/Connection Speed
Verizon Fios
25Mbps/25 Mbps (UP/DN)

Uses
For my desktop, I'm definitely going with a Cat 7 Ethernet cable. It is the most ideal setup since I will be gaming.

Smart Phone (I need 2.4Ghz for this)

1-2 Laptops will be in use

Xbox 360 (Not sure yet if it will be via Ethernet or wireless)

Network Printer (Will probably connect it to the router via Ethernet)

Network Hard Drive (I want to have an external hard drive plugged in to the router and be able to send files to it constantly)

Wants
A simple UI, doesn't have to be fancy. I just want something that allows me to organize the ports by whatever program I am using the ports on.

Ability to control what has the highest priority on the networks bandwidth.

Dual-Band router that can broadcast the bands simultaneously.

Gigabit Ethernet Ports (Minimum of 4 ethernet ports)

USB Port(s) (More than one would be nice)

Minimum of 300Mbps

WPA2-Enterprise (This is a must, WEP is WAY too easy to get past, even WPA2 can be broken into)

Port Fowarding (I will be using this constantly)

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me find the router that fits my needs.

Oh and I will be contacting my ISP and replacing the router with a modem. I'm hoping they have gigabit WAN modems available (crosses fingers)

golono

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Bandwidth is not the only difference between the cables. CAT7 has a less chance of being affected by interference compared to 5e. Not to mention, 5e is quite old. I'm going to be putting the cable through the inside of the wall from the living room to where my desktop will be, I'd rather be safe with CAT7 rather than go with 5e and risk having interference and having to replace the cable. Plus, there really isn't much of a difference in price, it's just a few dollars in difference. I see it as an investment.

golono

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I actually just recently found this one and was interested. I don't think there is a better choice for what I need.