Hd 7970 ghz ed vs gtx 680 lightning

gloo69

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Solution
well as far as i know the 7970 ghz will perform slightly better in games with them new drivers but the msi lightning gtx 680 is a special 680, i know since i own one, and from what i can tell, this card is a beast. super high clocks to kick and not to mention the over voltage that you can do with this card gives it a real boost in terms of your core clock and memory. just remeber to keep it fairly cool and you will be fine, oh and the fans on the lightning are superb. very quiet and extremely efficient at keep the entire card cool because it has a massive aluminium radiator. i overclocked mine stock voltages +70@core and +500@memory on a hot day, which is pretty decent considering ambient temps are 36celcius. remember the cooler your...

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Bf3 works better with NVIDIA while Skyrim benefits better with the huge memory, I am not sure because I don't own an AMD but still, its up to your preference. Being an nvidia user, I am biased towards the gtx 680 and there is physX, but really, with or without physX it won't really make a difference. You will be in good hands with either cards, but if you want to save $50 and get the free games, go with AMD.

Proclaim89

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
well as far as i know the 7970 ghz will perform slightly better in games with them new drivers but the msi lightning gtx 680 is a special 680, i know since i own one, and from what i can tell, this card is a beast. super high clocks to kick and not to mention the over voltage that you can do with this card gives it a real boost in terms of your core clock and memory. just remeber to keep it fairly cool and you will be fine, oh and the fans on the lightning are superb. very quiet and extremely efficient at keep the entire card cool because it has a massive aluminium radiator. i overclocked mine stock voltages +70@core and +500@memory on a hot day, which is pretty decent considering ambient temps are 36celcius. remember the cooler your card is the higher overclocking capability it has and the fans are excellent at keeping the card cool. i cant say much about the 7970 ghz since ive never owned one but if your going to grab a gtx 680, the lightning is the perfect solution imo. ;)

edit- spelling errors from typing on ipod :D

Solution

JJ1217

Honorable

Overvolting has since been removed from the lightning, only the early models had it. Nvidia cried a little and forced MSI to change it.

Meh, with either card you'll be happy, I'd definitely be leaning towards AMD for Crysis 3, at least you'll have a game to properly test your graphics card. The 2GB should be enough on the 680, however if you ever move into multi monitor stuff, that extra gig on the 7970 would come useful.

gloo69

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Ahh that is a good deal with the 7970 but the 680 has $150 in game money for planet side 2 and other games but I'm sure I won't play them haha Well I really do enjoy playing bf3. I coming from a xbox 360 so I know any of these will amaze me but its a +1 for nvidia since it handles the game better. How well is the overclocking on the 7970? I'm will new to this whole overclocking thing and I know the msi card has that gpu reactor which makes it overclock a little better right?.. Its a tough decision haha Well what are the good and the bad about both cards? and for the lightning what is ln2?